Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's pretty hard to score in soccer

• 23-07-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

It's pretty hard to score in soccer, 0-0 is one of the more likely ways a game would finish, suppose no goals were scored in the up coming year, every game finished 0-0 how long would you continue to follow the sport ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

As long as it kept going, i wold be more and more intrigued as to how long it would go on for! :D

Plus, im used to it, i support Rangers......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Isn't 1-1 the most common result? Think I read that somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i'd say it alternates between 0-0 and 1-1 depending on the quality of the league (1-0 included) imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There's more to football than just the goals. There's the skill, the cheating, the wages and the celebrity wives etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The build-up play and relative rarity of goals is what's great about it. I find it harder to appreciate high scoring games as much, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

MooseJam wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to score in soccer, 0-0 is one of the more likely ways a game would finish, suppose no goals were scored in the up coming year, every game finished 0-0 how long would you continue to follow the sport ?
    Smokin' the wacky tobaccy tonite are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah, although 0-0 every single game for a year would get too much, it's the rarity of goals that make them so special.

People not into football will always talk about how football is so boring because it's low scoring compared to rugby, american sports etc. But a goal is so much more exciting because the games don't end up 102-100 like basketball etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

for another 7 years and 4 months ! how about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

as long as there is the yak there will always be goals;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It'd be only a matter of game before City conceded 6, 7 or even 8 goals in one game so I'd definitely keep watching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    The build-up play and relative rarity of goals is what's great about it. I find it harder to appreciate high scoring games as much, to be honest.

Yep...it's supposed to be difficult to score. There a lot of entertaining 0-0 draws as teams look for the goal. A goal or a point every 5 seconds from every attack would be extremely dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

dfx- wrote: »
    A goal or a point every 5 seconds from every attack would be extremely dull.

Yeah, it would be like watching that awful GAA stuff where they get points for putting it over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Any chance you are American? You call it 'soccer' and moan about there not being enough action... typical traits of your average Yank who needs action every 10 seconds to keep his concentration levels up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

PDN wrote: »
    Yeah, it would be like watching that awful GAA stuff where they get points for putting it over the bar.

Or even worse AFL where you get points for kicking the ball wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's what I had in mind, aye. :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It'd be only a matter of game before City conceded 6, 7 or even 8 goals in one game so I'd definitely keep watching.

Any chance u could tell that to your boys before the Manc derby? I dont think they got the message! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

roryc wrote: »
    Any chance you are American? You call it 'soccer'

that's a pretty strange thing to point out given we are in the soccer forum, I'm not a yank :), I like a good game as much as the next man but the old nil nil ers can get a bit dull sometimes, I think making the goal a bit bigger would help, not a huge amount now, even 6 inches would see a good few more goals when you consider how many times the bar gets hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Extratime multi-ball !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'll put it this way: I'de rather see some good build-up play resulting in a miss than a scrappy goal from a badly cleared corner any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

that's a pretty strange thing to point out given we are in the soccer forum, I'm not a yank :), I like a good game as much as the next man but the old nil nil ers can get a bit dull sometimes, I think making the goal a bit bigger would help, not a huge amount now, even 6 inches would see a good few more goals when you consider how many times the bar gets hit

your taking the piss now arent you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness to the Yanks, American Football probably has the second best balance of action per game. Even in the terrible terrible games there's normally something of interest like a massive hit, a couple of interceptions of fumbles and at least one touchdown. It's rare that you don't get one of those.

Twenty/20 has it all though. Good build up to the big hits (the bowlers wait and run up), it's unpredictable, you're guaranteed wickets per game. The only thing that stops it being perfect is the threat of rain.

As to the most common score, it's either 0-0,1-1 or 1-0. There's around a 50% chance the game will have more than 2.5 goals but results over that limit are much more varied whereas the ones before 2.5 are few. 2-0 isn't that common either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

some of the best games I've seen have ended up 0-0. to each his own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

What is this 0-0 you speak off?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    In fairness to the Yanks, American Football probably has the second best balance of action per game. Even in the terrible terrible games there's normally something of interest like a massive hit, a couple of interceptions of fumbles and at least one touchdown. It's rare that you don't get one of those.

Agreed American football is a joy to watch. The excitement and tension of a big drive in the 4th Quarter can't be surpassed in any other sport. The Giants at last years Super Bowl was a great example of this.

Europeans need to stop being ignorant towards NFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Agreed American football is a joy to watch. The excitement and tension of a big drive in the 4th Quarter can't be surpassed in any other sport. The Giants at last years Super Bowl was a great example of this.

Europeans need to stop being ignorant towards NFL.

i used watch it as a kid. I find it hard now, it's just too start stop. again, different strokes for different folks.

I find it hard now, it's just too start stop. again, different strokes for different folks.

I can understand that, as it was one of my gripes before I got into it, but I think once you gain an appreciation for the rules, and the plays, those 'stop starts' kinda become invisible and it all makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Too many goals is simply vulgar. That's what our strikers think anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Giants play with a few minutes to go to win the super bowl with a huge drive was a classic sporting moment, well worth staying up ridiculous hours to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bingo :)

The problem I've had with NFL is that despite there being 15 seconds on the clock in the last Superbowl, it took 10 minutes to play them. Everyone ran on the pitch with 0:01 left and all had to leave to restart it for the last second to be played.

• Advertisement
Advertisement