Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted?? Pistol Grip and adjustable Butts!! Why???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

patbundy wrote: »
    true bunny so are the mods with us shooters or are they still stuck in peashooter land
    The mods (who are shooters) are a bit busy cleaning up the mess in here, thanks. And if you go there and make a mess, the mods there (who are shooters) will also have to do some cleaning up and we may not see you back here for some time. So don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Peashooter gets you everytime, doesn't it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

so in orther words you wont back real shooters so what are you doing on here

"real shooters"?
    Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

sparks your jumping thru hoops again.if you look at the post again you will see is what they know about the law. all i want to ask is what they know about the cjb.is that against the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Why do you want to ask an ordinary Garda? Surely asking anyone other than Superintendents, your FAO or the Commissioner is wasting your time and theirs?

sparks your jumping thru hoops again.if you look at the post again you will see is what they know about the law. all i want to ask is what they know about the cjb.is that against the law
    Nope, and if you ask politely, you might even get an answer. The thing is, will you be getting an answer from a Superintendent? Because there isn't any such job in the Gardai as Firearms Officer, it's just the way we've come to refer to the bloke at the desk who handles the paperwork. He makes no decision of his own, that's purely and by law solely the purview of the Superintendent. And we've been told, in public, by the Gardai, that in cases where there's any confusion or problem, to directly contact the Superintendent, not the guy on the desk. So if your FO can't quote all of part five of the CJB in full, it means squat. If your Super doesn't know the relevant bits, that's another story.

But I doubt you'll find too many superintendents posting openly on boards to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Sparks wrote: »

But I doubt you'll find too many superintendents posting openly on boards to be honest.

Is that because, they dont know how to turn on that thing in the cornor, of the office?:D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

chem wrote: »
    Is that because, they dont know how to turn on that thing in the cornor, of the office?:D

I know you're joking, but from what I've heard you're lucky to get dialup in a Garda station. Maybe it has improved recently.

Of course the real reasons are probably that no Super would want to deal with work stuff after hours and they don't have time to be posting here during office hours.

It would be nice if there was a Garda/DoJ representative of some sort who was willing, had time and was authorised to post here and answer questions like the one in the OP from the Garda/DoJ viewpoint. I can't see it happening any time soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Oh they know about it all right.And proably give it a good boot every time they pass it too.It's called PULSE and it is the most despised and ineffective LE tool in a Garda station.It has triplicated the paperwork instead of reducing it.Just what every busy Garda needs.Works occasionally to do it's job,and is not what it is cracked up to be.So dealing with a yoke like that on a daily basis,would hardly encourage you to want to spend free time in front of one at home.

The folding stock issue.Proably too much Hollywood education on this issue.
    Realistically wouldnt worry too much on it,if I was in the Garda/DOJ as the folders on shotguns are uncomfortable,too short,and have appaling pistol grips that seem to be knockoffs of the AR15 pistol grip.So using one will decrease your accruacy,hurt your hand alot with heavy loads.So many might buy them,try them...Go OW that hurts..and promptly put their wood stock back on their shotgun.
    The only thing they are good for is storage in tight spaces,and then the Pros[IE those who work in the field where somthing like this is useable] are more likely to get ultra short barrels and leave the wood stock on them.
    They just look cool.
    OTOH a shot pistol is a different story.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

PULSE isn't on the net though Grizzly, and just because they have PULSE in a station doesn't mean they'll have email or network access. It's really quite rare for a station to have network access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

BornToKill wrote: »
    Adjustable butts are not restricted. This is an extract from the SI:

'shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them
    incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
    (i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
    (ii) with a pistol grip, or
    (iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length'

If you want to read the whole thing here is the link:

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PB08000290

btk i think ivan wants to why they are restricted

Thank you Pat, though I did understand that. Ivan wanted to know why adjustable butts are restricted, my reply points out that they are not.

As to why pistol grips on shotguns are restricted, it is because they are normally to be found on military shotguns of the 'trench clearer' kind and most shotgun owners in this country would have no need of them.

If I may reverse the question, why would you want a pistol grip on a shotgun? It's going to be in the way for the most part if you're shooting clays or hunting.

If I may reverse the question, why would you want a pistol grip on a shotgun? It's going to be in the way for the most part if you're shooting clays or hunting.
    It's a good question given the drawbacks of such stocks which Grizzly highlighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I could get shot down for this but here we go:D
    My guess cartridge content in shotguns where restricted for obvious reasons 3 before you have to reload versus 8. Now as a shooter who has a semi 3 is plenty and it gives wildlife a break.

As for the stock easy to hide under coat, hovever your 8 shot extender on the magazine will give it away:D

As for length, diito see above.

We are back to the "I don't like the look of that"

Black synthetic =Bad (Militaristic, Rambo etc) add camo coat etc = nut case

Walnut (Turkish or American) = images of the game keeper doing his round in wellies with a trusty springer by his side =

BornToKill wrote: »
    Adjustable butts are not restricted.
    Actually, it depends on the kind of adjustment you're talking about - that's why the ISSF stuff was caught in the restriction first time round, because our stocks can adjust in length - the buttplate can be moved in or out to adjust, and in fact can pull right out, so they were caught twice, once for being telescopic and once for being detachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't have a shotty with a pistol grip so not quite sure of the pros/cons through experience. I can definitely see the advantage of an adjustable stock. I would imagine folding stocks batter the shooter something awful. As for the mag restriction; If you walk with the mag loaded and the chamber empty there's no point in having a pump anymore as you're restricted to 2 shots. I wonder if they'll make a go for black guns on the basis that black is easier to hide :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[/QUOTE]

Well it depends on what kind of pistol grip you are talking about.I have pretty big hands and find the small plastic foregrip of some pumps annoying.If I replace that with a vertical pistol grip I have better control and can work the action alot quicker. I also have one on a Remmy1100 the solid "FAL "style stock.I find it is easier to reload quicker in a practical shotgun match, by holding a vertical pistol grip.On the folder[Top folder].
    I used it once for hunting in some extremly heavy brush for wood cock with the 24in open choke barrel,just to be able to manouver the gun somwhat in the brush. Apart from that it has resided in my closet ever since,apart from dressing it up once in awhile to look at somthing different.I have also shot clays with both and apart from the looks from all and sunbdry.:DI didnt find the FALstyle stock any problem or distraction.The folder just kicked harder and gave me wrist fatigue.:(
    Just a question of getting used to them.But unless you are really stuck for space in your house,car tractor,etc or LE SWAT unit.Icant see folders being much in demand.

If you just have a rear pistol gripped shotgun.I would say your accruacy potential has taken a dive by 75%,beyond 20ft.I had one in my younger days in LA and it was a PITA to shoot properly. It was just compact for use in a car.So I cant see anyone wanting just a pistol grip

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

So Hollywood is to blame?
    WALOS (What a load of sugar).
    What kind of people are responsible for these policies that stem from childish views. Are they the same people that restrict reloading?:(

Every stinking year some busy body is trying to add some thing to the amendments or change the law in some ridiculous way. Is it their effort to a claim to fame? IMO it would seem that every desk jockey in the houses of power want his own Bertie bowel.
    I think reloading will never have a chance in the deep south! well bunny?

No one person here know the answer but thanks for you opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Might be alot of ego trips going on alright ivan. I feel its a problem these days in alot of office type jobs. If by the end of the day you cant see the amount of work someone has done eg:building, painting etc. It seems its down to who shouts loudest and is see and been active in something or other.

Just to be seen to justify there jobs:rolleyes:

Advertisement