Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting brake calipers

Options
  • 23-07-2008 11:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I tried fitting my brake calipers tonight and found to my dismay I hadn't got the nets required to fit them to the frame. Will it be easy to pick these up in a bike shop?

Does anyone know a decent shop around Leixlip as thats where I work.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Should be no problem in any bike shop. By nets, did you mean to type "nuts" and in actuality really mean the mounting bolt?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheers blorg, you've even seen through my nonsense talk to figure out what I really need.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Quick question re: Calipers if I may.
    I am used to v-brakes on my MTB, but just got a road bike with calipers. To take off a wheel, do you loosen the brakes for wheel to fit between pads, or just pull it through?
    Any good instructions on loosening brakes and getting them back right?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

garlad wrote: »
    Quick question re: Calipers if I may.
    I am used to v-brakes on my MTB, but just got a road bike with calipers. To take off a wheel, do you loosen the brakes for wheel to fit between pads, or just pull it through?
    Any good instructions on loosening brakes and getting them back right?
    Cheers

on modern brakes there usually a little flick switch which opens then enough to get the tyre through. In the olden days you had to undo the cable completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

cheers mate, will have a look for the little flick switch. Should have one so, its a new bike

• Advertisement

good article here which shows many different caliper brakes:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=22

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not so easy to get them mounting nuts it seems, I just wasted 30 minutes going to a bike shop in Maynooth with no luck

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

stuf wrote: »
    on modern brakes there usually a little flick switch which opens then enough to get the tyre through. In the olden days you had to undo the cable completely.

Where should I be looking for this switch?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

on the left of the calipers as you look at it
    shimano%20da%207800%20b%20calliper.jpg
    it's the black lever on the left, directly below the circular bit - above and to the left of the left brake pad.
    will of course look slightly different depending on the exact make and model of the brake, but it's in the neighbourhood of this.

better answer above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Brian, Stagg Cycles in Lucan any use to you? Give them a bell and see if they have what you need :)

Advertisement