Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The small white tent next to the big (blue) top???

Options
  • 24-07-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

OK so I was at the big top tonight (complimentry all week thankyouverymuch) and couldn't help but notice what appeared to be repeating loud (and seemed like people singing along ALL night - It almost sounded recorded) music coming from the small white tent right next to the big top (North west'ish for you geographic freaks) at Fisheries Field... Anyone know wtf this white tent is for? Once or twice, I couldn't help but think that the noise coming from the tent was nothing short of ignorant towards the people performing at the Big Top

C'mon you Galway people, inform me! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Karaoke tent. Couldn't believe it was still going on during the gig. I mean, who the **** goes to a gig and spends their time in the tent next door listening to Mary from Athenry murdering Eye of the Tiger?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

WTF? OK a great idea before the concert, but DURING it? That's just stupid imho, hope they put a stop to it for the rest of the gigs.

BTW, I saw cars etc. driving down to the waterside at Fisheries Field last night. What's the story with the access this year? Can anyone walk down to the Kayacking Club/Shoreline and they're only taking tickets right at the actual tent? :confused: Traditionally they had the whole of Fisheries Field blocked off and took tickets at the main entrance right across the road from the Cathedral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Blue top? White tent? I demand galway be in the same condition when I get back!

I drove in last night, but only cos I was fishing in the river - they have to allow fisheries staff and anglers access cos the road is the access road to the fisheries board.
    But you're better off not driving anyway, can have a few pints then! :D

Oh yeah, and it certainly is ridiculous keeping the karaoke tent running during the gig... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

All Fisheries Field is college property and as such they're not allowed deny access to any member of staff or student. And there's a right of way established for the Western Fisheries Board too, who are allowed access. Otherwise, it's private property and the college is allowed stp people from going in. MAcnas aren't allowed deny people access. And **** em if they try.

• Advertisement

wet-paint wrote: »
    All Fisheries Field is college property and as such they're not allowed deny access to any member of staff or student. And there's a right of way established for the Western Fisheries Board too, who are allowed access. Otherwise, it's private property and the college is allowed stp people from going in. MAcnas aren't allowed deny people access. And **** em if they try.

I'm aware of everything above! But I was just curious as to why this year they didn't block off access at the main entrance... Did the college/users of that area (ie. Fisheries/Kayackers/Rowers) kick up a stink??

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm aware of everything above! But I was just curious as to why this year they didn't block off access at the main entrance... Did the college/users of that area (ie. Fisheries/Kayackers/Rowers) kick up a stink??

Nah, just a different security company who haven't a clue what they're at. Was talking to one of the guys the other day and he was giving out yards about that, they didn't hire enough staff to do tickets at the gate AND man the barriers AND keep people from gaining access through the fisheries (across the weir, etc).

Zzippy wrote: »
    Nah, just a different security company who haven't a clue what they're at. Was talking to one of the guys the other day and he was giving out yards about that, they didn't hire enough staff to do tickets at the gate AND man the barriers AND keep people from gaining access through the fisheries (across the weir, etc).

You mean this year? I didn't pay much attention last night, but it seems that there's a perimter (sp?) fence around the whole tent this year (instead of the whole fisheries field area) with only a small gap to enter/exit kinda opposite the entrance to the kayack club shed (well, a little bit more towards the Cathedral) - Are they just taking tickets there or what?

I should have been paying more attention, I blame the Buckie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, I know the kayakers said nothing to them. Usually the goon at the top of the road knows nothing and tries to stop everyone going down, and a quick word in his ear sorts it out, we never hav etrouble getting in.

Yep a different security company this year. AFAIK they are taking tickets at the top of the lane (where it meets the field). The guy I was talking to was complaining about staffing - he had to take tickets, AND move the barrier whenever a car came in or out from the fisheries, so people were being held up in a big queue. That was the first night of gigs, don't know if they sorted it out since...

• Advertisement

Ah right, so they are still trying to stop people from going in the main entrance? (Obviously they then let you through if you've a reason to be down there ie. Kayack over your shoulder) :p

I just found it unusual that they didn't have a security guard trying to stop drunken people from going down to the water. I see it as more of a safety issue than a security "yer not going down there bud" issue

Advertisement