Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy passes law to jail illegal immigrants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's not quite the same thing. A better analogy I think would be trespassing - hardly worthy of a jail sentence.
    Trespass is not a criminal offence. Being an illegal immigrant is.
    Besides, I would imagine deportation is cheaper than supporting prisoners in jail.
    I'm sure it is. I think they are trying it as a deterent though since there is no real punishment in deportation.
    I think a much better way to tackle illegal immigration (in this country at least) would be stricter penalties for employers who employ illegal immigrants (together with greater enforcement of said penalties), which should reduce the number of employers who are prepared to take the risk (I'm not sure how big a problem this is in Ireland at present). If employers are unwilling to employ illegal immigrants, then a large incentive is removed.
    A two pronged approach might work better. Stricter penalties for offending employers and stricter penalties for offending illegal immigrants.

Advertisement