Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretch marks-wtf?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Heyyyy ladies, I've got a question for you...I got some stretch marks during puberty, but they've faded so much that they don't really bother me. However, I started exercising recently and have suddenly gotten stretch marks on my shoulders. I'm not obese and losing tons of weight--I'm 5'5" and 135, so I don't have any idea what could be causing this. Might it be a nutritional deficit of some sort? And has this happened to anyone else? I feel like a freak!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

sounds like a weird place to get them. maybe try asking in the fitness forum? might know more about it if its related to exercise.

From the weights.
    I don't really know if you'll be able to prevent them.

Lack of zinc can lead to stretchmarks.....but I imagine that aera of skin is weakened anyway once you have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Clarins do a great oil for stretch marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

sar84 wrote: »
    sounds like a weird place to get them. maybe try asking in the fitness forum? might know more about it if its related to exercise.

Not really, my arms and shoulders were ruined with stretch marks for a while. Depending on the training, diet and results a muscular increase in the shoulders MAY cause stretchmarks depending on the amount of growth and the skin in the area to begin with.

For stretch marks there is not a lot better than Bio Oil OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Dragan and the beauty products ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

LolaDub wrote: »
    Dragan and the beauty products ;)

Well i gotta do something to stem my natural ugliness. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Dragan wrote: »
    Not really, my arms and shoulders were ruined with stretch marks for a while. Depending on the training, diet and results a muscular increase in the shoulders MAY cause stretchmarks depending on the amount of growth and the skin in the area to begin with.

For stretch marks there is not a lot better than Bio Oil OP.

yeah i suppose, if youre muscles are growing your skin has to too. im just fairly muscle-less in my arm/shoulder area, so cant imagine them growing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Bio oil does wonders for stretch marks and scars in general, if you apply some 2 a day for about a month you should see a difference.
    I use em for scars from piercings etc. and works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Bio Oil is definitely your friend..

I didnt get one stretch mark on my last pregnancy.. I oil myself up every morning after showering!!! And so far so good this time around..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dragan wrote: »
    Well i gotta do something to stem my natural ugliness. lol

Acceptance is the key, grasshoppa. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely try the Bio Oil. And Dragan, it makes me feel a ton better that I'm not the only one this has happened to. It really is an odd place to get them. I asked my Mom last week if she has stretch marks (she had five kids) and she said "No, and neither did your grandmother, you won't either." You can imagine her surprise when she realized what a genetic failure her daughter turned out to be.

Quality wrote: »
    Bio Oil is definitely your friend..

I didnt get one stretch mark on my last pregnancy.. I oil myself up every morning after showering!!! And so far so good this time around..:)

Aaah, I used to really look forward to becoming a mom, but then my friends started having babies and now that I've seen what pregnancy does to a woman's body, I'm petrified of it. It might sound vain, but if I get stretch marks from exercising I can only imagine what sort of troll carrying a fetus will make out of me.

PillyPen wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I'll definitely try the Bio Oil. And Dragan, it makes me feel a ton better that I'm not the only one this has happened to. It really is an odd place to get them. I asked my Mom last week if she has stretch marks (she had five kids) and she said "No, and neither did your grandmother, you won't either." You can imagine her surprise when she realized what a genetic failure her daughter turned out to be.

That is a very common story, but I don't think any of my friends are stretchmarkless. So freak and failure are out there terms to be using to describe it.
    It is the modern diet and intensive farming if you ask me.

Well, I was just joking about the failure part but she was in disbelief. I think a lot to do with stretch marks is genetics, as lots of women I know still don't have them even after having babies. Maybe it's skin that's not very resilient?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

bio oil FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Bio Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I wish someone told me about bio oil when i played rugby, used to hit the gym hard for the thighs and arms, they were destroyed for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

PillyPen wrote: »
    Aaah, I used to really look forward to becoming a mom, but then my friends started having babies and now that I've seen what pregnancy does to a woman's body, I'm petrified of it. It might sound vain, but if I get stretch marks from exercising I can only imagine what sort of troll carrying a fetus will make out of me.

Its worth it...:) Start rubbing on the bio oil now onto your belly in preparation for pregnancy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Agreed re the bio oil. A friend of mine gave me a bottle of hers to try out and I hogged the lot and ended up replacing hers and forming a new addiction! It calmed down the stretch marks no end...didnt get rid of them (ywt??? :D) but Ive only been using it a few weeks.

Defo worth the money. Smells nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, i have stretch and scar marks and i just covered them with tattoos and piercings :D

i know pletny of guys who find scars etc sexeh! * just throwin it out there*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I believe chicks dig scars too. I've got some cracking scars on my knees if any of the ladies wish to see them. :D

lolz, well, im a chick who digs scars and the like... but knee just sounds a bit tame :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, but they're the result of a high speed motor racing crash and a freestyle rock-climbing accident. *

*May actually be a complete crock of shíte

I'm not self-concious about them at all, even when wearing shorts, but it seems that it's something that does concern a lot of people, even a scar somewhere as tame as on the knee. On more than one occasion in hospital or when I was back for check-ups I was asked if the scars worried or upset me in any way. I suppose if they ever did it's good to know that that bio oil stuff does actually work. One question about it though, is it permanent or something you have to keep using or they'll come back?

i've no idea, i was offered that kinda stuff before, but didnt like the notion. i have two big scars on my hips (surgeries as toddler), which kinda alter the shape of my hips anyway, in a weird way, so the bigger scar (got infected during healing, now purple and thick instead of white and slim) is covered over with a tattoo. i have another big, obvious one on my throat, i've most of my thyroid glands removed, and have since installed two piercings in there to decorate it a bit... if people are gonna stare and whisper and ask questions (im not being paranoid, i know this for a fact), then at least, let them do it on my terms, give them something to talk about :D

Quality wrote: »
    Its worth it...:) Start rubbing on the bio oil now onto your belly in preparation for pregnancy...

Lol, that would (hopefully) be years away! I looked for some yesterday, couldn't find any, but I've got some shopping to do today so I'll keep an eye out.

Re: tattoos and piercings. I'm not big on body modification for myself, but that is a really awesome, creative idea. And I really like this attitude
    if people are gonna stare and whisper and ask questions (im not being paranoid, i know this for a fact), then at least, let them do it on my terms, give them something to talk about :D

I'd probably be better off if I just accepted the stretch marks, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lolz, well, im a chick who digs scars and the like... but knee just sounds a bit tame :D

dya want to see my hernia scar then? :D

Advertisement