Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving posts as unread in user CP

Options
  • 24-07-2008 7:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this may be a stupid question, I'm not sure. I have the flu so also apologies if this doesn't make sense!

At work they are quite strict on internet access, luckily as I live in New Zealand .ie sites are not blocked (cue evil laugh :D). I try not to go online much during the day but I do a check on the forums I moderate on my lunch break. This is the middle of the night at home so it's a good time to do a quick check around while other mods are asleep. I generally only check the forums I moderate and don't read all the other threads I've subscribed too in my user CP.

My problem is that as I am asleep while the majority of posts happen there's a huge amount of threads in my CP when I log in at work that I can't. When I log in to check the forums I mod and log out boards thinks that I've read all my suscribed threads when I haven't clicked in to them at all. When I get home in the evening and go in to my user cp all my suscribed threads that I didn't get time to read are gone, unless there's been a post between the time I logged in at work and getting home. There very rarely are new posts at this time because it is the middle of the night in Ireland.

I know there's an option in the user cp to mark all forums read. Is there anyway I can mark forums unread so that when I come home from work I can see the posts I haven't read?

I know it's not a huge issue, I can always just go through all the forums manually or not log on at work where I don't have time to read everything but I thought there might be an easy solution.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If you click View all Subscribed Threads in your usercp it will show you all the ones that were marked read when you logged in at lunch. Then just read back as far as you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That'll work. I still wish it didn't mark things read because you've logged in and out though.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Would be handy if you could mark a thread to reference where you had read too, some sort of button beside the post number, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Would be handy if you could mark a thread to reference where you had read too, some sort of button beside the post number, etc.
    Tag it? Dunno if this sort of use of tags is allowed. CuLT?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Good suggestion Watna, i think it would be very useful. I think requests can be made in the forum below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=228

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The-Rigger wrote: »

There IS a "go to first unread post" option afaik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Des wrote: »
    There IS a "go to first unread post" option afaik.

That doesn't work - everything posted before your last 'activity' when you log out is deemed read - whether you viewed it or not.

Watna, maybe could you use an alt account in work (with admin permission) so your normal account does not mark stuff as read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

SteveC wrote: »
    That doesn't work - everything posted before your last 'activity' when you log out is deemed read - whether you viewed it or not.

Watna, maybe could you use an alt account in work (with admin permission) so your normal account does not mark stuff as read?

but I check the forums I mod during work so my alt account would have to be a mod too (i like the idea of an evil alter ego!). Unless I only logged in as me if i see something in the forums I mod but then I'd miss any pms etc (not that I get a lot but still)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

watna wrote: »
    but I check the forums I mod during work so my alt account would have to be a mod too (i like the idea of an evil alter ego!). Unless I only logged in as me if i see something in the forums I mod but then I'd miss any pms etc (not that I get a lot but still)

You'd only have to log in as you if modding was required though.. alternatively, could you not PM a co-mod to use teh powah. :pac:

You can set PM options so you get instant email notifications and you won't miss any.
    I'd miss any pms etc
    Is that so bad....:D

/sorry.

Advertisement