Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ambulances Speeding with no Emergency Lights On

Options
  • 24-07-2008 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

What is the story with ambulances that are speeding and overtaking dangerously when their emergency lights are off?

Was on the way in to work this morning and an ambulance jeep was overtaking people on bends and single white lines, came right up my arse and forced me in to the hard shoulder so that he/she could overtake.

This isnt the first time I've seen this happen, was driving down from Dublin and seen an ambulance, again with no emergency lights on, forcing people in to the hard shoulder and overtaking people with on coming traffic?

I thought that with their experience of cleaning up after car crashes that they'd realise more than most people the consequences of wreckless driving.

What is the story with this? Surely, if they are driving like this because they're on their way to an emergency they'd realise their lights arent on, right? Or, are they allowed to drive like this anytime they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Funny you should say that, although i've never had a problem with them before, I did come upon an ambulance blocking the overtaking lane last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Some drivers say they only use their siren and lights if they absolutely have to (or if there's a risk such as a junction or pedestrians) because more than a few people freeze when they hear the siren coming up behind. I've seen people do the daftest things when they freeze and nine times out of ten, they make life harder for the driver.

There's a emergency services forum around here somewhere, maybe this post would be better there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

markpb wrote: »

There's a emergency services forum around here somewhere, maybe this post would be better there?

Ah, never came across that, thanks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think when it comes to Ambulance drivers you kinda have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    When I see an ambulance coming up behind me at speed after some fast overtaking maneuvres, I dont automatically think "Oh golly, what a prick that driver of the emergency vehicle designed to save lives is for driving in such a manner."
    I get out of the way. Then cross myself.

Because it's an ambulance.

I dont automatically think "Oh golly, what a prick that driver of the emergency vehicle designed to save lives is for driving in such a manner."

Neither do I, of course he has to drive fast and overtake to save lives.

What Im asking is if they're allowed to drive like this all the time?

It was a jeep that overtook me this morning, the driver overtook someone on a blind bend...Im sure the driver he overtook wasnt expecting it or even saw the jeep overtaking him. If this was an old person then I can imagine he got quite a shock to see a jeep overtaking him on a bad bend.

My issue here is not with ambulances speeding or overtaking, it's with them speeding or overtaking without any lights or sirens on...it's dangerous for ANY vehicle to do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

There was a few ambulance drivers in Cork got into some trouble a few years back. They used to take the ambulance home for lunch, with the lights & sirens on :eek:

I thought that if the gardai/fire brigade/ambulance were breaking the speed limit, etc they had to have the lights on????

I thought that if the gardai/fire brigade/ambulance were breaking the speed limit, etc they had to have the lights on????

That's what I presumed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Lots of presumptions here.
    How about presuming there is someone dying and get the F*ck out of the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

A taxi driver once told me that he wont get out of the way of private ambulances when the two guys are in the front, whether lights are flashing or not. His logic was that if someone was in the back then the second guy would also be in the back, so two guys in the front means noone in the back and the ambulance is taking the piss.

btw what is an ambulance jeep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lads, I do some work with voluntary ambulance sector. Lights and sirens can cause more blockage because people do indeed freeze, they brake suddenly and cause you to stop and wait to go around them.
    We use lights and sirens with 2 people in the front because we are going to an accident which is probably more urgent than bringing the patient back.
    Also remember the day is spend ferrying patients around hence the ambulance can be on the road a fair bit and its all about pushing to get from base to hospital all the time and ensuring that the vehicle is free.
    Ambulance Jeep is a smaller ambulance usually for rapid response. It would be available to get to say cardiac arrests etc quickly before the big ambulance arrives.
    You could be terribly anal and start analysing ambulance drivers speeding the odd time but to be fair, these lads are under pressure to help us when we call the 999 number, give them a break.
    And to answer your q, we are not allowed to break any law officially but naturally with blue lights, its basically a blind eye turned to it.
    I have had some scary moments driving with some serious casualties and some idiot pulling out and stoping in middle of road causing full scale braking, ye have no idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

voxpop wrote: »
    A taxi driver once told me that he wont get out of the way of private ambulances when the two guys are in the front, whether lights are flashing or not. His logic was that if someone was in the back then the second guy would also be in the back, so two guys in the front means noone in the back and the ambulance is taking the piss.

They do have to get to the emergency before they can return from the scene of the emergency to the hospital.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Did it never cross his mind that perhaps they're on their way to the patient???

@sshole. Him, not you.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Did it never cross his mind that perhaps they're on their way to the patient???
    h3000 wrote: »
    They do have to get to the emergency before they can return from the scene of the emergency to the hospital.

How dare either of you question the best qualified drivers we have on the road? :D

btw what is an ambulance jeep ?

A jeep/4x4 which says ambulance on the side of it...what did you think it was!?

egan007 wrote: »
    How about presuming there is someone dying and get the F*ck out of the way :)

If that's the case then their sirens and lights should be on. My point is that they are not :)

TheDriver wrote: »
    Lads, I do some work with voluntary ambulance sector. Lights and sirens can cause more blockage because people do indeed freeze, they brake suddenly and cause you to stop and wait to go around them.

Ok fair enough, but it should not be up to the driver to decide whether he should have his lights or sirens on, if there's an emergency then they should be on, full stop.

If that's the case then their sirens and lights should be on. My point is that they are not :)

Perhaps it would help if drivers were given some training about how to react when an ambulance is behind you? Then ambulance drivers could use the siren safely. It would be hard to test someone on this but even as part of the theory questions it would be useful for people to know that it's acceptable to nudge past a red light to let an ambulance through. Or that if you turn the front of your car into the footpath, you'll leave your tail sticking out and block the ambulance.

Obviously this should be in the context of a better driving test so I'll schedule it in for the fifth of never :D

A jeep/4x4 which says ambulance on the side of it...what did you think it was!?

getting a bit uptight there arent we

I was pretty shocked by the Taxi guy alright - he did specify private ambulances - still an arse

markpb wrote: »
    Perhaps it would help if drivers were given some training about how to react when an ambulance is behind you? Then ambulance drivers could use the siren safely. It would be hard to test someone on this but even as part of the theory questions it would be useful for people to know that it's acceptable to nudge past a red light to let an ambulance through.

Great point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Ok fair enough, but it should not be up to the driver to decide whether he should have his lights or sirens on, if there's an emergency then they should be on, full stop.

It should be up to the emergency driver to ensure he does the best thing at the time. If that means no lights or sirens unless he needs to, then it's his experience that this is the best thing.

And that taxi driver is a w@nker! Private or otherwise, I hope he's standing there one day holding his breath waiting on the emergency services to arrive to help him or his loved ones whilst a taxi is poodling along in front of it purposely holding it up!

As someone who's Dad's life was saved by an ambulance jeep until the 'proper' ambulance could arrive and get him to hospital they can come running in a pink tutu with fairy lights screaming 'chase me chase me' for all I care!

• Advertisement

getting a bit uptight there arent we

Sorry about that :)

Getting annoyed here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

That's just ridiculous in fairness.

Personally, I'd always allow ambulances to overtake easily where possible whether they are 'speeding' or not. If I see one 'cruising' up behind me, I'll always allow space for them to go by easily. I'm sure it makes the journey more comfortable for whoever is in the back not to have the ambulance manoevering (sp?) all over the road. Also helps make their journey a bit shorter.

It should be up to the emergency driver to ensure he does the best thing at the time. If that means no lights or sirens unless he needs to, then it's his experience that this is the best thing.

Completely disagree with you here.

Answer me this: If a ambulance jeep is overtaking a row of cars on a blind bend should it have their lights and sirens on?

My whole point of this thread is that the jeep this morning did not and it was extremely dangerous.

Personally, I'd always allow ambulances to overtake easily where possible whether they are 'speeding' or not. If I see one 'cruising' up behind me, I'll always allow space for them to go by easily.

I hope most people would be like that too, it's the right thing to do, Im the same.

Sorry about that :)

No worries :D - I do agree with you btw. I think that they should at least have flashing lights or something. It could be pretty unnerving to get overtaken suddenly at high speed without any type of warning.
    Then again Im not an ambulance driver and have seen some ppl do pretty strange things when an ambulance comes up behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Answer me this: If a ambulance jeep is overtaking a row of cars on a blind bend should it have their lights and sirens on?

My whole point of this thread is that the jeep this morning did not and it was extremely dangerous.

If the traffic was moving he should not be overtaking on a blind bend at all lights and sierns or not, it could very quickly become another emergency scene. If traffic was stoped and he had to go round the bend then yes they should use lights and sierns.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    If the traffic was moving he should not be overtaking on a blind bend at all lights and sierns or not, it could very quickly become another emergency scene. If traffic was stoped and he had to go round the bend then yes they should use lights and sierns.

I agree. This traffic was moving very well, I was doing about 100 kph, I was at the back of about 4 cars, he/she simply drove around us as we were on the bend, I only realised it was an ambulance as it passed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree there. I've lived in a few different countries, and it appears to be common practice there to a) have lights on all the time, and b) to have sirens on most of the time, i.e. when there's any traffic about that might benefit from the warning.

My experience here is that it appears to be common practice to only use lights, and then to whack the siren on in a "get the *&^% out of my way" kind of way, rather than a "watch out I'm coming up behind you, make room for me" kind of way. Often, especially, in situations where traffic is heavy, by the time the sirens come on it's too late for traffic to give way, because they've stopped at a junction for example. The N11 with it's multitude of traffic lights is a prime example.

To my mind, this is the cause of the so-called freezing that some are complaining of here .. you've already stopped with no ambulance in sight, and then when it appears you're expected to move into a non existent gap. Simple solution, leave the sirens on all the time and give people a decent amount of warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Well I think that the question should be more, should any vehicle be overtaking on a blind bend or not tbh?

Emergency or otherwise this is a dangerous (and illegal) thing to do and imo whether it had lights and sirens on or not would have made no difference. If it was truly a blind bend, then anything coming in the opposite direction would have had no chance to avoid it, lights and sirens or not...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Alun wrote: »
    I agree there. I've lived in a few different countries, and it appears to be common practice there to a) have lights on all the time, and b) to have sirens on most of the time, i.e. when there's any traffic about that might benefit from the warning.

My experience here is that it appears to be common practice to only use lights, and then to whack the siren on in a "get the *&^% out of my way" kind of way, rather than a "watch out I'm coming up behind you, make room for me" kind of way. Often, especially, in situations where traffic is heavy, by the time the sirens come on it's too late for traffic to give way, because they've stopped at a junction for example. The N11 with it's multitude of traffic lights is a prime example.

To my mind, this is the cause of the so-called freezing that some are complaining of here .. you've already stopped with no ambulance in sight, and then when it appears you're expected to move into a non existent gap. Simple solution, leave the sirens on all the time and give people a decent amount of warning.

It's amazing how something that should be so common sense is being debated and argued. If I hear the faint noise of an ambulance I check my mirrors to see if I can see it. As it gets louder I check again. This lets me prepare to move out of the way when it's near, if necessary. The only time I've ever "paniced" is when an ambulance/police car suddenly appears behind me and turns on it's sirens, beeps and flashes me. At that stage I just want to get out and punch the driver for being an idiot. Give people some advance warning and let them be proactive. Not reactive. It's such a simple concept.

And I always thought the point of the lights and sirens was to WARN other motorists that the ambulance is around. You know, on a blind bend or something!!

EDIT: And of course over taking on a blind bend is a down right stupid stunt to pull. Anyone with half a brain knows that. The time saved versus the possible consequences isn't a good enoguh justification. Especially at high speed.

Advertisement