Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to sell the car?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I just did my 1st commute this morning and I must say I really enjoyed it.

Ratoath to Finglas, so it's a 40km round trip.

If only we'd weather like this everyday I could sell the car!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I just did my 1st commute this morning and I must say I really enjoyed it.

Ratoath to Finglas, so it's a 40km round trip.

If only we'd weather like this everyday I could sell the car!

It's not all that unlpeasant even in bad weather. I commute on the bike all year round, as I'm sure many of the guys on here do. If you have the right gear, you can stay warm and comfortable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah I pretty much commute by bike year round. Just moved jobs to the city centre, so took last week on the luas to get some stuff brought into the office and that. The worst I find is hail and snow, which in fairness we rarely get. If you leave a spare everything in the office then you will be dry for the day, and there's a nice warm shower at home waiting for you - although it's a bit cack putting back on wet clothes to go home in if they've not dried off yet!
    Don't sell the car just yet though, it's handy for getting to the Ring of Kerry for example :)

kenmc wrote: »
    although it's a bit cack putting back on wet clothes to go home in if they've not dried off yet!

I have to admit, I bought a little radiator that sits under my desk for just such ocassions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

that man ^ is a genius!! :D
    Where'd you get such a wonderful device?

kenmc wrote: »
    that man ^ is a genius!! :D
    Where'd you get such a wonderful device?

Atlantic Homecare, or maybe it was Woodies. It cost about 25 lids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've already run out of plugs under my desk what with the fridge and everything. Actually my poor office looks more like a triathlon transition area than anything else, 2 bikes, a wetsuit, track pump, 2 pairs of biek shoes, trainers, various running bits of kit. luckily this time of year I can keep all the windows open, not looking forward to winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Don't sell the car just yet though, it's handy for getting to the Ring of Kerry for example :)[/quote]

I could always get herself at home to give me a lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good luck with that Aquinas and keep it up as much as possible. I too am a year-round commuter, rain or shine; I'm fortunate enough to have showers in work with radiators for wet clothes.

Never learnt how to drive and thus far hasn't been an issue for me (as long as there are people around I can blag a lift off to the ROK :)). The amount you save by not having a car means some very tasty bikes are a possibility!

I ensure my carbon footprint is normalised by taking short haul flights several times a year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I hope to do it a couple of times a week to start with.

It's a great way to build up the km's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

u'll see a fast increase in your energy levels if you keep it up. i use to cycle everyday to work when i was about 19km away and it made a hell of a difference because at the time i wasnt doing any other exercise apart from the odd 5-a-side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I wouldn't do without teh car myself, but commuting by bike is certainly the way to go. Once the fitness is there (if it's not already) you should be beating nearly every other mode of transport.

Sounds like a sensible approach to do a few days a week - perhaps a Mon/Wed/Fri cycle and after a few weeks include Tue.

With regard to wet clothes, I hang mine up in work, but if they're still a bit damp putting them back on, they're dry and wet again from sweat within 15 mins so that doesn't bother me too much. It's only a slight discomfort in comparison to having some fat git sitting on top of you on the bus anway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's only a slight discomfort in comparison to having some fat git sitting on top of you on the bus anway.

Some people pay good money for that.

I lay my stuff out flat in empty drawers in my desk and leave em open a bit. Seems to work, they are dry by going home time.

Advertisement