Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bib Tights - Chamois or not Chamois......

Options
  • 24-07-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

that is the question (oh dear)

Looking to invest now while there are sales on these. What do people generally find better - bib tights with an insert or with padded shorts underneath? I'll only be using them for weekend rides come the winter, not for commuting, so no real hygiene issues to concern me.

Any advice on what to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

messed_up wrote: »
    that is the question (oh dear)

Looking to invest now while there are sales on these. What do people generally find better - bib tights with an insert or with padded shorts underneath? I'll only be using them for weekend rides come the winter, not for commuting, so no real hygiene issues to concern me.

Any advice on what to go for?

Chamois all the way for me. I have a pair of full length Assos, and they are brilliant. Also have a heavy duty Gore pair, which are very warm.
    You can also get leg warmers which you can wear with your normal shorts, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Yep Chamois all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

shorts underneath reasoning being:

1) Warmer
    2) You don't have to wash the tights after every ride if you wear shorts underneath, handy for riding two days in a row in the dead of winter when you can only afford one pair of assos tights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have always used ones with a built-in chamois but I can understand the reasoning behind shorts underneath. I don't find shorts underneath as comfortable but that could just be because the one pair of non-padded tights I have aren't really proper cycling wear, more for commuters (Ronhill Bikesters.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I prefer the ones with the inbuilt shammy. The seem to be more comfortable than wearing a pair without and a pair of shorts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Thanks for the input guys.

Would leg warmers be a good substitute for a pair of tights or are they really only useful for chilly days rather than downright cold?

messed_up wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys.

Would leg warmers be a good substitute for a pair of tights or are they really only useful for chilly days rather than downright cold?

Always handy to have both so you have the option. The good thing about warmers is that they allow you to get more use out of your shorts.

Warmers are good but not as warm as a thick pair of tights. They are ideal for when it is just starting to get cold or when the temperature is variable as you can take them off. They also aren't as comfortable as a pair of tights- more seams, etc. As Raam says they get more value out of your shorts.

I have warmers and both thick and thin tights so I am covered for every eventuality. The thick ones are a sort of furry fleece material on the inside while the thin ones are standard lycra that just does down over your knees (they are 3/4 length.) I used to cycle down to -2 C in just my shorts but tights are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

It's a bit surreal having this conversation on a sunny July day though I must say (well yesterday was sunny anyway.) messed_up- where are you looking for the sales (I do the same myself, buy all my winter clothes in the summer, and summer ones coming into the winter.)

Just to point out, on Saturdays cycle, I had arm warmers, light shoe covers, a base layer, my Boards jersey and a raincoat on. I would have brought my knee warmers and light gloves if I had thought of it. Blorg had his SPD sandals and Boards jersey and nothing else. Well, apart from shorts obviously.
    The point is: some of us feel the cold more than others :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm a big fan of arm warmers and knee warmers. If you're going out first thing in the morning, they keep you nice and warm and then you can take them off and shove them in your pockets as the day warms up.
    Raam wrote: »
    The point is: some of us feel the cold more than others :)

I think the people with zero body fat feel the cold more than most. Others have, ahem, better 'natural insulation'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

el tonto wrote: »
    I think the people with zero body fat feel the cold more than most. Others have, ahem, better 'natural insulation'.

Ahem, yes, 'natural insulation'...that's me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

He's callin you a fatty Blorg !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Verb wrote: »

More like I'm calling Raam a skinnymalinks.

More like I'm calling Raam a skinnymalinks.

Them's fightin' words.

Raam wrote: »
    Them's fightin' words.

Take it as a compliment. I'd gladly trade feeling cold all the time for your body fat ratio.

I would certainly have more ahem natural insulation than Raam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Think this came up before, but would a good thick, opaque, pair o' female tights not do the job too ?

Think this came up before, but would a good thick, opaque, pair o' female tights not do the job too ?
    I think you're on your own there. Seriously though, no.

Advertisement