Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK targetting illegal downloading

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lets go with a better news source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7522334.stm :)
    Six of the UK's biggest net providers have agreed a plan with the music industry to tackle piracy online.

The deal, negotiated by the government, will see hundreds of thousands of letters sent to net users suspected of illegally sharing music.

But the music industry wants people's internet access cut off if they ignore repeated warnings, something the web firms say they are not prepared to do.

BT, Virgin, Orange, Tiscali, BSkyB and Carphone Warehouse have all signed up.

Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the BPI, which represents the music industry, said: "All of the major ISPs in the UK now recognise they have a responsibility to deal with illegal file-sharers on their networks."

Mr Taylor said it had taken years to persuade ISPs to adopt this view.

So far, the ISPs seem to be grabbing the carrot - while avoiding the stick
    BBC Technology Correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones

Read more on Dot.Life

The plan commits the firms to working towards a "significant reduction" in the illegal sharing of music.

It also commits the net firms to develop legal music services. "Conversations are ongoing between record labels and ISPs," said Mr Taylor.

Letters to pirates

The BPI has focused on educational efforts and limited legal action in recent years, in contrast to the US, which has embarked on tens of thousands of lawsuits against alleged file sharers.

The six internet service providers have signed a Memorandum of Understanding drawn up by the Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (BERR).

HAVE YOUR SAY

Why should I yet again pay for, say, the Beatles' White Album at full whack? I already bought it on LP, eight-track, cassette, and CD! This is those customers getting their own back

Mark, Hampshire
    Send us your comments

The Motion Picture Association of America has also signed up.

The BPI said the memoranum covered consumers who were both uploading and downloading music.

Mr Taylor said: "The focus is on people sharing files illegally; there is not an acceptable level of file-sharing. Musicians need to be paid like everyone else."

He added: "File-sharing is not anonymous, it is not secret, it is against the law."

At the same time the government has started a consultation exercise that could result in laws that force net firms to tackle music piracy.

Mr Taylor said newspaper reports stating that online users could be subject to an annual levy to cover losses from file-sharing were incorrect.

"A levy is not an issue under discussion. It has not been discussed between us and government and as far as we are aware it is not on the table."

He said: "There should be effective mechanisms in place (to deter file-sharing) and as long as they are effective, we don't mind what they are."

But he said the BPI was ruling nothing out and nothing in.

In the past few weeks net firms Virgin and BT have sent letters to some customers identified by the BPI, which represents the UK record industry, as persistent music pirates.

'Long process'

Before now the BPI has called for a "three-strikes" system which would see net connections of persistent pirates terminated if three warnings went ignored.

Many net firms have resisted the call from the BPI and have said it is not their job to act as policemen.

FROM THE TODAY PROGRAMME

More from Today programme

Feargal Sharkey, chief executive of British Music Rights, said the plan was "a first step, and a very big step, in what we all acknowledge is going to be quite a long process".

Mr Sharkey, formerly lead singer with The Undertones added: "Government, particularly in the UK, has now realised there is an issue, there is a problem there."

One BBC News website user Mark, from Hampshire, said he downloaded and shared files illegally and argued customers were "getting their own back".

In an e-mail, he said: "I used to run half a dozen record shops in the 80s and saw how far the fat cats of the record industry would go, in milking customers and retailers dry with more hyped rubbish."

"Why should I yet again pay for, say, the Beatles' White Album at full whack? I already bought it on LP, eight-track, cassette, and CD! This is those customers getting their own back."

"So will this make me sharing a CD with my next-door neighbour over the fence illegal?" he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I go to University in the UK and we signed up with Tiscali last year for our gaff. We've an unlimited service and download a ridiculous amount of stuff every month, not so much as a word from Tiscali. It's a bull this. All talk and no action (thankfully!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I go to University in the UK and we signed up with Tiscali last year for our gaff. We've an unlimited service and download a ridiculous amount of stuff every month, not so much as a word from Tiscali. It's a bull this. All talk and no action (thankfully!).

Well the article does state that this is future move and has not yet happened but I agree, we'll have to wait and see. Didn't Virgin recently say they were gonna implement the 3 strikes rule only to backpedal on it a few weeks later? I'm hoping the same would be the case here too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

J-blk wrote: »
    Well the article does state that this is future move and has not yet happened but I agree, we'll have to wait and see. Didn't Virgin recently say they were gonna implement the 3 strikes rule only to backpedal on it a few weeks later? I'm hoping the same would be the case here too...

Maybe it will happen but I remember seeing a very very similar story just before I signed up with Tiscali last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Seems to be more of a plan by the isp's to control bandwidth use than prevent privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Watch out. Eircom did this last year with IRMA. Be careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol
    honestly cant see this happening or being enforced
    but thats just me !:-)

Advertisement