Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morality and Ethics

Options
  • 24-07-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am reading John Gray's Straw Dogs right now. So far I think it's very over rated. In the third chapter about morality. The following question entered my head: is there a philosophical difference between morality and ethics?

Or are they really the same concept. I thought they would have been.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

My understanding is that one meaning of ethics is that it's the branch of philosophy that deals with morality.

Another meaning of ethics can be the same meaning as morality.

I'll ask smarter child. *asks smarter child*

*ethics*:

Noun
    1. a. A set of principles of right conduct. b. A theory or a system of moral values: "An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain" (Gregg Easterbrook). 2. ethics(used with a sing. verb) The study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person; moral philosophy. 3. ethics(used with a sing. or pl. verb) The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Wittgenstein famously stated that the meaning of a word is in its use.
    In my opinion, the word ethics & morals are often used in similar circumstances but with some difference.
    'Ethics' is usaully used in a secular context whearas 'morals' tends to be used in a religious context.
    One of my old lecturers claimed that 'morals' were eternal wheras ethics were dependent on the context. Howeve he did admit that this was his defination. However I do personally think that he is probably not too far out as the word 'morals' does tend to be used by religious people to refer to something absolute and they often see the word 'ethics' as referring to something lesser and possibly relative or dependant on the context.
    Its also the case that , say, if I was a doctor and stated that I have made a 'moral' decision to do something, then this would indicate that it was a deep personal decision. However, if I used the word 'ethics' and stated that I acted according to the code of 'ethics'instead, it would seem to indicate a lesser personal decision such as official policy, which I may or may not personally agree too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement