Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008

• 24-07-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Here's some info on the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 that'll be coming into play next week.

To summarise:
    - introduction of fines for those found drunk in a public place
    - gardai allowed to seize alcohol from minors
    - setting new hours for off-licence alcohol sales
    - increased fines applied to those who break the law on alcohol sales
    - court application process needed for those seeking a licence to sell wine
    - extended opening hours by nightclubs & bars subject to stricter conditions

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0723/breaking64.htm

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Sounds good to me. Responsible people over 18 shouldn't have anything to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

I wonder what effect the reduced opening hours in off-licences will have on staff working there....for example will fewer staff be needed because there are fewer hours/shifts to cover?

Other than that, as OK-C-A said, responsible folk (who are still the majority, I'm sure) will have nowt to worry about - apart from a bit more planning if they need to visit the offie!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

So the offie opening hours will be reduced starting next week, but it's completely ok to sell pints of beer for 5 euro until 2am?

So it's ok to sell drink at absolutely sick prices but it's not ok to sell it for a euro.

Very strange, also, that BIFFO has very very direct ties to the publician trade.

Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

jayteecork wrote: »
    So the offie opening hours will be reduced starting next week, but it's completely ok to sell pints of beer for 5 euro until 2am?

So it's ok to sell drink at absolutely sick prices but it's not ok to sell it for a euro.

Very strange, also, that BIFFO has very very direct ties to the publician trade.

Ridiculous

I think its more directed at the people buying loads of drink last minute at 11 or whatever and hitting the streets all night, but i'm still on the side of later hours for off licenses and stricter punishments for underage drinking. Although 5 euro a pint is horrible and makes me happy I live in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

Just thought I'd update ye on my comment of last week. My bro works in an off licence, and as of today, 2 part-time staff have been let go, all due to the new hours. The fulltimers have to work up their 38 hr week over 6 days now, so that opening hours are covered.....

His shop is one of a chain, so if every shop has let 2 staff go, there'll be a fair few more signing on this week because of the changes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Kind of stupid closing the off licenses early, all you would have needed to do was actually have law in place to punish people drunk or drinking in public. Next I propose we close all DIY shops at 3pm in winter as houses are often broke into with tools after it gets dark :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

I think off-licences closing early is a good thing. Responsible drinkers who are planning to drink at home will buy their drink well before closing time.

It might cut down on the number of drink drivers who decide to head down to the off-licence late at night when they need to get more booze. I thought home delivery booze-to-your-door was a great idea...dunno what ever happened to that though.

I also think it will cut down on the number of people leaving pubs and then heading to the off-licence to get more drink and then hanging around drinking on the streets late at night. This excess alcohol can cause all kinds of accidents.

It's a pity that some off-licence workers will be out of a job, but if closing early saves a few lives then it's worth it and you can't argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Feeonaw wrote: »
    I think off-licences closing early is a good thing. Responsible drinkers who are planning to drink at home will buy their drink well before closing time.
    Irresponsible drinkers can do the same, though.

Irresponsible drinkers can do the same, though.

That's true alright. I dunno - I still think people know what I'm trying to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Anyone else think the earlier offo closin times could spark some Good Friday syndrome???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It might cut down on the number of drink drivers who decide to head down to the off-licence late at night when they need to get more booze. I thought home delivery booze-to-your-door was a great idea...dunno what ever happened to that though.

I also think it will cut down on the number of people leaving pubs and then heading to the off-licence to get more drink and then hanging around drinking on the streets late at night. This excess alcohol can cause all kinds of accidents.

It's a pity that some off-licence workers will be out of a job, but if closing early saves a few lives then it's worth it and you can't argue with that.

I live in Dublin & regularly go to the city centre, I've never known or seen anyone by drinks in the off licence & hang around the street, Sometimes people leave pubs early to grab a few cans to head home with. No one's gonna do that at 9:45pm. Completely stupid change in the law.

Sometimes people decide at 10 they wouldn't mind a few cans at home and that's gone now. Absoloutly ridiculous.

I live in Dublin & regularly go to the city centre, I've never known or seen anyone by drinks in the off licence & hang around the street, Sometimes people leave pubs early to grab a few cans to head home with. No one's gonna do that at 9:45pm. Completely stupid change in the law.

Sometimes people decide at 10 they wouldn't mind a few cans at home and that's gone now. Absoloutly ridiculous.

How have you not seen the late night drinkers hangin' out on the streets? I've lived in the city centre and saw it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

How have you not seen the late night drinkers hangin' out on the streets? I've lived in the city centre and saw it all the time.

I lived in the city centre and didn't see much of it tbh.

I saw more early drinkers in fact! - on my way to work typically.

Two ridiculous additions to the law.
    Fair play to whatever collection of gombeans decided these were wise ideas.

If they really want to curtail the drink culture with an emphasis on youth drinking they need to clamp down on underage drinking - by actually doing something about those people they catch doing it.

The big issue with youth drinking is

- pussydrinks (alcopops etc.)
    - spirits

Compare the 16 year old trying to drink 6 cans of beer to the 16 year old with a naggin of vodka.

Tackle these, by reducing access at source (age limit, types of establishments that may sell, taxes).

This would go a long way.

I personally think shots, spirits, pussydrinks are a big issue, and these should be looked at seriously.

Last bus to my place is 11pm so I'd often pop into the offie and buy a couple of cans on the way home.

Can't do that anymore, absolute bollocks.

chump wrote: »
    I lived in the city centre and didn't see much of it tbh.

I saw more early drinkers in fact! - on my way to work typically.

Two ridiculous additions to the law.
    Fair play to whatever collection of gombeans decided these were wise ideas.

If they really want to curtail the drink culture with an emphasis on youth drinking they need to clamp down on underage drinking - by actually doing something about those people they catch doing it.

The big issue with youth drinking is

- pussydrinks (alcopops etc.)
    - spirits

Compare the 16 year old trying to drink 6 cans of beer to the 16 year old with a naggin of vodka.

Tackle these, by reducing access at source (age limit, types of establishments that may sell, taxes).

This would go a long way.

I personally think shots, spirits, pussydrinks are a big issue, and these should be looked at seriously.

Youth drinking isn't the only problem. It's actually people in the 20 - 30 age group that seem to be the ones being targeted and with good reason I think. They're the ones with driving licences. I do agree that alcopops and shots promotions should be looked at too, but I reckon that'll be a harder one to put a stop too. Has anyone else noticed how much drink advertising is going on lately by the way? Maybe if they banned the advertising that might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Exactly

chump, Your mindset is the biggest problem - blaming it on the kids

Adults drinkin is legal, but that doesnt make it responsible

As Feeonaw said, drink driving is a serious issue in ireland. This was meant to be the year of safe drivin and its worse than ever

Kids will always try to be what their elders are, so if we keep tryin to sort them out while the grown ups can do what they want, there wont be any progress

Yeah, advertisin is mad lately. They have their adds with loud, clear speech, then at the end throw in the low, fast "please drink responsibly" disclaimer

and the last thing we needed is them ads about goin the pub with Dara OBrian and Lucy from Podge n Rodge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

QUOTE]

not if they work till ten.

not having later and staggered hours is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Groovy

Surely they could already do this :confused: They're using the booze in the commission of a crime, I would have thought it would be fair game to confiscate it.

Either way... groovy

I can't see this making any difference at all... I also have never seen people walking around town at 3am drinking cans.

This will have no effect and is really pointless.

Groovy. Kids will always get drink somewhere though tbh...

I don't get this. Does this target restaurants or something?

Are wine-drinkers the problem with the drink culture? :confused: I would favour more wine-drinking (see: Europe), and less getting locked on spirits (see: UK & Ireland).

Not sure about this. If it results in everybody leaving places at the same time, then it will be terrible. I've stopped going to town because I hate walking around and trying to get a taxi with thousands of other drunk people. Staggered closing times would be great...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Here's some info on the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 that'll be coming into play next week.

To summarise:

Already exists (s.4 Public Order Act, 1994). If you look at the recent legislative trends of the government, most of the laws they pass are meaningless political ploys. Here, the government is trying to act tough on public drunkenness without actually changing anything in substance. Unless of course this relates to fixed charge fines for public drunkenness, which, tbh, means that people can get away with it without a criminal conviction.

Always could, was my understanding. In practice they certainly do do that.

what are the new hours? I heard it was 10.30 or the like. Off licences are frequented by 3 broad groups of people IMO: kids (who shouldn't be served anyway), people going out on the town (who will have bought their booze early anyway) and people who drink at home. It seems that the reduced hours will only really prevent people who are drinking in their homes or at a party from getting booze later than normal. I don't think this is a good idea.

Fair enough.

More money for lawyers, which I think everyone agrees is a good thing.

This is the interesting part. I thought they were trying to reduce opening hours.

Any opinions?

This is really going to mess up the social lives of all us non drinkers eh? Seriously though, I'm not sure to what end they are bringing this in. Extended opening hours means more drinking, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Youth drinking isn't the only problem. It's actually people in the 20 - 30 age group that seem to be the ones being targeted and with good reason I think. They're the ones with driving licences.

The people who drink and drive usually have no qualms about driving without a licence either. A surprising number of road traffic offences (including driving while intoxicated) are committed by people under 16, and almost all of the s.112 (joyriding type offences) are committed by kids, none of whom have licences.
    Has anyone else noticed how much drink advertising is going on lately by the way? Maybe if they banned the advertising that might help.

Interesting. As an avid alcohol enthusiast, even I find the ads that tout "your local pub" with Darragh O'Brain and yer one doing the voiceovers as a bit offensive. I don't like the way they are trying to force a romantic appeal to the good old Irish local.

• Advertisement

There's a simple reason why people don't go to the pub anymore:

Slab of 24 Budweiser in Super Valu: 17.99.
    24xBudweiser in pub: ~100 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

This is the interesting part. I thought they were trying to reduce opening hours.

they are. read the full sentence, 'extended opening hours by nightclubs & bars subject to stricter conditions'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld like to see how much of a change this makes though i feel its not gonna do much.
    Kids are still gonna find their booze and get drunk.
    People will still be found fighting outside pubs.
    People are still gonna end up drunk in parks n all.
    Youth drinking isn't the only problem. It's actually people in the 20 - 30 age group that seem to be the ones being targeted and with good reason I think. They're the ones with driving licences. I do agree that alcopops and shots promotions should be looked at too, but I reckon that'll be a harder one to put a stop too. Has anyone else noticed how much drink advertising is going on lately by the way? Maybe if they banned the advertising that might help.
    Sounds like what they did with the cigarettes back in the 90's. Banning cigarette commercials, empasising smoking laws, advertisement against smoking showing its harmful effects n such. It did work quite well.

Though i just can't see it happening with alcohol. Atleast not in this age. Infact the opposite seems to be happening. There's an increase in alcohol adds which all show the best way to spend you summer with friends is to have a pint of Bulmers in the middle of the day. Forget all the surfing and other fun summer activities, just sip yer larger and there's no better way to socialize with your friends! And the same with every time you're with your friends. The whole experience is incomplete without some good beer to go with it.

Now i'm not looking down on drinkers, i'm just putting a little emphasis on how the adverts influence people's psychology. Just like all the cigarette companies did back in the late 20th century. Smoking is cool, smoking is manly and all such thing... Influencing people to take up and get addicted to the drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's a totally stupid knee jerk reaction to that tabloid thrash paper The Herald.
    I live in the city centre too and as earlier posters said the younger crowds buy their drink early it's the older crowd who sometimes fancy a few cans late on the way home from pub or just popping out from home.
    Foreigners that may want to pick a holiday will think back to last time they were here and realise when it comes to choice they're better of heading to mainland Europe next time when they couldn't buy a few cans at 10.05pm!!.
    Nanny state we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I’m a responsible drinker and I often work after 10pm. I can no longer grab a couple of beers on my way home. I doubt I’m the only one.
    It might cut down on the number of drink drivers who decide to head down to the off-licence late at night when they need to get more booze.
    Any impact this will have on drink-driving will be minimal. Totally separate issue.
    I also think it will cut down on the number of people leaving pubs and then heading to the off-licence to get more drink and then hanging around drinking on the streets late at night.
    I live in Dublin City centre and I can’t say that I see much of this beyond the stereotypical hobo-types that exist in pretty much every city.

Besides, I don’t really have an issue with people drinking in public. It’s quite normal outside Ireland. If someone wants to have a drink in the park, who cares? Once they’re not bothering anyone, leave them to it.
    How exactly will this save lives?
    unreggd wrote: »
    Adults drinkin is legal, but that doesnt make it responsible
    The problem is the adults in question and their attitude towards alcohol, not the alcohol itself.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Not sure about this. If it results in everybody leaving places at the same time, then it will be terrible.
    Absolutely; I can’t believe nobody foresaw the potential problems that this could cause. Tens of thousands of (inebriated) people all spilling out onto the streets at the same time looking for buses and taxis.
    Sounds like what they did with the cigarettes back in the 90's. Banning cigarette commercials, empasising smoking laws, advertisement against smoking showing its harmful effects n such. It did work quite well.

Though i just can't see it happening with alcohol.
    That’s because you can’t compare cigarettes and booze. The odd drink of beer, wine, whiskey or whatever is not going to do anyone any harm. The odd cigarette will; every puff is doing damage.

Personally, I think the new act is draconian. Punish the majority because a minority want to go out, get drunk and rip the place up.

For those who support these measures, here's a couple of hypothetical situations:
    1. Drunk guy with anger-management issues staggers out of pub and into off-license to buy a few cans of beer
    2. Drunk guy with anger-management issues staggers out of pub and into shop to buy a few cans of Red Bull
    Which do you think is likely to have the worst outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 John F Byrne

This is govt. by Quango.

I went out tonight to buy 4 cans of lager at 10.15 to discover I COULDN'T. guess what? Instead of going home and drinking them, I went to the pub, had my 4 pints, and drove home probably over the limit.

These quangos need to be challenged, not by me, but with somebody with the financial wherewithal to do it.

B Cowen, we know what you're up to. Our Taoiseach, who can't even wait for his pint of the black stuff to settle before he mullers it. Gratis in the Dail bar no doubt, any time of the day or night. The same portly man who appeared pissed on RTE the day his mentor A Reynolds got the boot.

Publicans, friends of FF, nay FF publicans, have pulled another stroke on the populace to bolster their profits. It costs up to 4x the price to have a pint in a pub compared to having a pint at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is govt. by Quango.

I went out tonight to buy 4 cans of lager at 10.15 to discover I COULDN'T. guess what? Instead of going home and drinking them, I went to the pub, had my 4 pints, and drove home probably over the limit.

I'd like to see you use that story in front of a judge if you got caught that night :D

"ah judge, twas the governments fault"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 John F Byrne

mikemac wrote: »
    I'd like to see you use that story in front of a judge if you got caught that night :D

"ah judge, twas the governments fault"

I might mention it.:D

Aren't you sick of the manipulation which is clearly designed to save the publicans' ass?

Advertisement