Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new machine - driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

Options
  • 24-07-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

hI,

I've got a new machine (built by komplett) with a problem !
    I opted to have it built without the OS. As i have my own copy of xp.
    I installed xp up to sp 1 and a few games and played it for a few days.
    Then i went to download the Crysis demo and left it downloading over night. The next morning, i shutdown the pc. Later, i went to install crysis and i recieved an error complaining about a cab file that seemed to be corrupt.

Then, about fifteen minutes later the machine seemed to freeze / lock up and from there on this seemed to happen every time, after each reboot, when about 15 minutes passed. Sometimes i have to leave to machine (almost like it has to cool down) before it will even reboot successfully (disk read failure messages) In the event viewer i can see a series of:
    driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
    messages.

I format the disk and I installed xp (this time, the cd installs up to service pack 3)
    I installed all the mobo comoponents from the cd that came with it.
    All loaded ok and there are no devices in Device Manager with any yellow exclaimation marks etc.

i'm still getting the same problem.

I've downloaded the hitachi disk heath check and this came back with no problems.

I suspect the mobo controller might be faulty, although i dont know why things seeemed to run ok for a few days.

Also, on the Ram compatibilty matrix for this mobo, this ram is not listed ! i know, a bit late to be aware of this, but i was under the impress that the komplett online ordering application only listed compatable components.

unfortunetly, i was away when the pc arrived so i've gone over the return time period.
    I'm hoping this is a software issue!

any help appreciated

This is my machine:

POWER:PSU, 600W, 120mm fan ATX/EPS, 2xPCI-E, 20/24pin

MOTHERBOARD:Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R, P35, Socket-775 ATX, DDR2/DDR3, GbLAN, DES, PCI-Ex16

PROCESSOR:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan

RAM:OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15

GRAPHICS:Point of View GeForce 9800GX2 1GB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I/HDCP

DISK:
    Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200A, IDE,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hmm, strange one this. First thing i would suggest is to install the newest bios, or even go back to a slightly older one.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

Anti wrote: »
    Hmm, strange one this. First thing i would suggest is to install the newest bios, or even go back to a slightly older one.

ill give it a crack tonight

cheers
    db

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

try a different hard drive to see if the drive is at fault even though it passed the diagnostics .

Diags will not diagnose a time out issue with the drive .

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

ok, had a bit of a problem rolling back the bios version. i've no floppy drive and i ran out of cd's a while back!

in the mean time, i tried a few more things.
    I decided to try install vista. After getting about 20 minutes in,
    the system died, so immediately i booted into the Disk Health check
    utility and IT COULDNT FIND A DISK !

I opened the case, unplugged the SATA cable from the motherboard and
    put it into another port.

I also changed some bios settings (to do with power managment) and I also changed a bios setting that raises and Alarm when a problem with a fan is detected.
    As soon as i saved and restarted, the fan alarm went off. It complained
    about the Power System Fan. I still had the case off and i could see
    all fans were working. I went back into the bios and disabled the alarm.

Then i reboot and went back into the Disk Health Check util and it was
    picking up the disk again.
    I managed to get Vista installed straight through with no hanging or any
    interuptions. After a couple hours, still no sign of the error or any kind
    of freezing/hanging.
    I still have the case off, so ill stick it back on later and see how things
    fair out.
    maybe its a heat problem, maybe moving the cable helped. No idea why
    the fan alarm is complaining.
    The disk is a little noisey but im not sure if thats normal/abnormal. its as loud
    as my old IDE.
    any comments appreciated.
    cheers

Advertisement