Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop to oz

Options
  • 24-07-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hey all, I'm new to the site... off to oz in sept & have question about my laptop. Bringing it with me and want to find out how I can get a wireless connection for when I'm over there, do I sort this in Ireland before I leave and with who, cost... appreciate the feedback, thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You have a few options. If you are just going to be in sydney you can try
    http://www.unwired.com.au/
    thpugh not all areas can get it

can also try Optus
    though not sure what contracts are available

have a look here
    http://broadbandguide.com.au/?gclid=CNDVq9a42JQCFQ0ziQod4BqUkw

Though again outside of big cities not much coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Are you just bringing it to keep in contact with home or do you need it for work? Internet cafes are ten a penny over there and if you're backpacking I'd hate the added worry of looking after a laptop in hostels.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Are you just bringing it to keep in contact with home or do you need it for work? Internet cafes are ten a penny over there and if you're backpacking I'd hate the added worry of looking after a laptop in hostels.
    +1

If you just bringing it to use the web in hostels don't bother, most don't have wireless facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Thinking of bringing mine too is it ok bringing thru customs everywhere?

For internet access and to maybe watch a DVD or 2 on the quiet nights in hostels were just dont want to see other ppl...

Anyone done it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 smiles22

Meathlass wrote: »

Thanks... bringing it to keep in contact with home but prob won't bother now, seems a lot of hassle esp if there are lots of internet cafe's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id bring it, it seems everyone and their aunty had one when i was there. Handy for watchin DVD's random surfing and keeping your snaps backed up. Just take it, i wished i had. Not gonna cause you added hastle tbh.

preddy wrote: »
    Thinking of bringing mine too is it ok bringing thru customs everywhere?
    it's not a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I brought mine and it was handy when I first got here for looking up places to go, maps, houses for rent etc. Most hostels now have Wifi so you can hook it up in your room and that no hassle.

Only thing they do in customs is make you take it out of the bag and put it through the x-ray machine.

Really glad I brought mine now cause I ended up staying and have Wifi in my apartment now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tazwas

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I brought mine and it was handy when I first got here for looking up places to go, maps, houses for rent etc. Most hostels now have Wifi so you can hook it up in your room and that no hassle.

Only thing they do in customs is make you take it out of the bag and put it through the x-ray machine.

Really glad I brought mine now cause I ended up staying and have Wifi in my apartment now.
    i know how you feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

If you currently have access to a 3 Ireland mobile broadband service on contract check to see if their 3 "Like Home" Policy applies as then you can use it out here in the major cities where 3 Australia have coverage (the €20/10GB a month package should do). I have a 3 UK contract phone with a 3GB data add on and it works fine out here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Going to oz soon and was thinking of buying a laptop before I leave my job as i get a discount. Would it be cheaper to buy one here and have it sent over as I'm goin travelling for a few months before I hit sydney or are laptops cheap over there? Had a look on the Dell Australia website and they aren't that cheap.

Going to oz soon and was thinking of buying a laptop before I leave my job as i get a discount. Would it be cheaper to buy one here and have it sent over as I'm goin travelling for a few months before I hit sydney or are laptops cheap over there? Had a look on the Dell Australia website and they aren't that cheap.

I picked mine up for about the same price as home, but then I did the Salary sacrifice and got 42% back from good old Johnny Howard ;)

But they have limited this, as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I found that while traveling round a laptop some times was a bit of hindrance.
    You have to make sure it was locked away safe n stuff .
    Always worried you’d lose it or it’d be robbed off you.

An alternative to it could be

Acer Aspire One N270 1.6GHz 8.9" 1GB 80GB HDD Wifi XP Home Blue
    Aspireone_2.jpg

The Aspire one has an 8.9” CrystalBrite LED

and is only 249 (W) x 170 (D) x 29 (H) mm (9.8 x 6.7 x 1.14 inches)

Take a look at

Acer Aspire One N270

Can be bought from

Komplett

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

lawhec wrote: »
    If you currently have access to a 3 Ireland mobile broadband service on contract check to see if their 3 "Like Home" Policy applies as then you can use it out here in the major cities where 3 Australia have coverage (the €20/10GB a month package should do). I have a 3 UK contract phone with a 3GB data add on and it works fine out here.

never knew about this. I know I am resurrecting an old thread but has anyone else used this in Sydney recently?
    Seems to work out cheaper using the "like home" package

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Apologies in advance to be so vague: if you can get a cheap laptop in Ireland, buy it there. Electronics aren't that cheap in Australia, and I believe customs are hammering people who bring in new electronics bought in Asia, so you need to beware the idea of 'buy one in Singapore' for instance. A lot of Aussies were taking trips to Asia (our main overseas holiday destination) and buying everything from camcorders to laptops to tellies, so I know customs have cracked down on it. Thing in, I'm not sure what that crackdown involves, but as with all things Australian, it will be well-documented on the organisation's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Apologies in advance to be so vague: if you can get a cheap laptop in Ireland, buy it there. Electronics aren't that cheap in Australia, and I believe customs are hammering people who bring in new electronics bought in Asia, so you need to beware the idea of 'buy one in Singapore' for instance. A lot of Aussies were taking trips to Asia (our main overseas holiday destination) and buying everything from camcorders to laptops to tellies, so I know customs have cracked down on it. Thing in, I'm not sure what that crackdown involves, but as with all things Australian, it will be well-documented on the organisation's website.

Even if you buy in Ireland they can (but usually dont) hit you for duty and tax if its less than 12 months old. Really depends on the person you get. However mostly they wont if you are carrying it and it looks like it isnt brand new (i.e bought in Singapore the day before etc).
    The usual rort is to buy your laptop in singapore and pop it in to your handluggage and ditch the box etc. Some go as far as popping a few stickers on to the laptop to make it look less new.
    As I say if you buy in Ireland you should be ok but they can pull you if they want to.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4728
    Personal goods are free from duty and tax if they are:
    • owned and used by you overseas for 12 months or more
    • imported temporarily (a security may be required by Customs)
    General goods
    If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring up to A$900 worth of general goods into Australia duty-free. If you are under 18 years of age there is a A$450 limit. General goods include gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment

Advertisement