Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom pull plug on League

• 24-07-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard, feels like rats leaving a sinking ship given all the bad news lately.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Just heard, feels like rats leaving a sinking ship given all the bad news lately.

Mike.
    Any more detail Mike?

Are they leaving the National Team too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Woah thats a bit of a shocker. Wonder if the FAI have anyody lines up to replace them. Was their deal up after this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Des,

None yet, it won't be until end of season obviously. I think RTE must have got a whisper. No doubt it'll be confirmed by end lunchtime news.

Mike.

Hmmm.

This is extremely worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not exactly the right time to go shopping for sponsers.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

worrying times ahead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah I'm sure the FAI can get an equally strong sponsor in considering alot of the contract will be tied in with the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe the new Sponsor can be Ryanair. "The No Frills Football League"

It was a joke, please don't beat me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Des wrote: »
    Are they leaving the National Team too?

please say this is true,

eircom's the reason why i haven't bought an irish jersey in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yay no more awful orange logo on the national shirt!

Bad news other than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yay no more awful orange logo on the national shirt!

Bad news other than that

It will just be relpaced by another company logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

according to breakingnews.ie theyre staying with the national team.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlausnojmh/

Eircom have announced that they are to withdraw their sponsorship from the eircom League.

The announcement will come as a blow to the domestic game following increased efforts to promote the game in recent years.

Eircom will remain as sponsors to the national team, a role they took up in 2000. They have been involved with the domestic game since shortly after beginning sponsorship of the national side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

bohsman wrote: »

Eircom have announced that they are to withdraw their sponsorship from the eircom League.

The announcement will come as a blow to the domestic game following increased efforts to promote the game in recent years.

Eircom will remain as sponsors to the national team, a role they took up in 2000. They have been involved with the domestic game since shortly after beginning sponsorship of the national side.

If thats the case the heads of the FAI should be forced to resign. Talk about selling us out.

DSB wrote: »
    If thats the case the heads of the FAI should be forced to resign. Talk about selling us out.

Fúcking ****.

I wonder would Bord Gais be interested in coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fcuking rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

How can they do that I thought the two went hand in hand?

gustavo wrote: »
    How can they do that I thought the two went hand in hand?

FAI obviously un-did that.

John Delaney needs to get the hell out of that job, and take his cronies with him.

:mad::mad:

Wonder when their contract with the league/national team is up, the FAI should go looking for sponsors for the league letting them know the nt is theirs once they can get rid of eircom.

Other than that its great news for Platinum One and anyone in favour of an all Ireland league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

At a Fans Forum in Jan, the FAI announce that to sponsor the National Team you had to put money into the Domestic League. Wonder will they stick by that!

Other than that its great news for Platinum One and anyone in favour of an all Ireland league.

Perhaps some movement has been made with Drury already if they want rid of the league, but not the national team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Seriously worrying.

Things are looking very bleak for the FAI, unless they can pull a decent deal together for both sponsorship or the league and national team.

Maybe someone like Setanta can come in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I wonder would Bord Gais be interested in coming back.

Nah, I would be hoping for it to go back to the days of the chicken league, when John Graces were the main sponsor.

Proof if ever it was needed that the west brits in Abbotstown could not give a flying F**k about the domestic game in the country.

Now, how do i go about canceling my eircom contract?

eircom deny it

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlausngbmh/
    Eircom have denied that they are about to end their sponsorship of the eircom League.

In a statement just issued they have stated that: "The current contract is due to expire at the end of 2008.

"Eircom is currently in discussions with the FAI regarding sponsorship of Irish soccer. These discussions are ongoing, and eircom will not comment on specific aspects until the negotiations have concluded."

Eircom have sponsored the Irish national soccer team since 200 and began backing the domestic league soon after that.

gimmick wrote: »

:eek:

It's a hard process tbh.

You'll end up as bald as a .... Des

Its gotten worse has it? :P

Its gotten worse has it? :P

Better than a curly long mop tbh.

...or being from Cork

Nah, I would be hoping for it to go back to the days of the chicken league, when John Graces were the main sponsor.

Pat Grace? :D

</pedant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Evening Herald story says:
    It is thought that eircom marketing executives took the decision to pull the plug on their sponsorship - effective from the end of the current season - after research told them they were getting little or no return for their investment.

The eircom denial doesn't directly negate that.

It seems to me that this is an entirely natural choice, since eircom are doing no more or less than most Irish people, that is cherry-picking international (and by extension EPL) football, or television football, and ditching core live football, which they don't appreciate and actually don't like very much.

Anyway, here's how to register your feelings the only way a corporate understands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The FAI, what a bunch of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

There is no denial there I'm afraid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

FAI are an absolute joke, i mean the only viable way to get decent league sponsors is to tie the national team in. what do they do, the opposite!

MNS is a good thing for the league, the FAI will probably manage to get that cancelled aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Proof if ever it was needed that the west brits in Abbotstown could not give a flying F**k about the domestic game in the country.

I don't see how the FAI can be blamed for this (I can't see how this makes them west brits either). Eircom are now an Australian owned company and will be looking at their expenditure very closely. if they think they don't get any bebefit out of this then they will pull out. Eircom aren't a charity.

I don't think Eircom was much use as a sponsor anyway, they didn't push the game a great deal. It needs someone hungry to get into the irish market, someone who wants to show they are "Down with Homies":D

Someone like Vodafone or maybe BT might step in, maybe even Halifax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't see how the FAI can be blamed for this (I can't see how this makes them west brits either). Eircom are now an Australian owned company and will be looking at their expenditure very closely. if they think they don't get any bebefit out of this then they will pull out. Eircom aren't a charity.

I don't think Eircom was much use as a sponsor anyway, they didn't push the game a great deal. It needs someone hungry to get into the irish market, someone who wants to show they are "Down with Homies":D

The Catholic Church maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Or o2, they seem to be throwing their name at everything nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

god i hate that ugly Eircom logo on the front of Irish jerseys. They dont have the logo on their shirts in games so why should we fork out €60 a go to promote them w@nkers at Eircom?

Until they get rid of the sponsor on the Ireland shirts I wont buy 1, there is not 1 other national team in the world that have jerseys displaying the main sponsor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't see how the FAI can be blamed for this

They agreed to let them stay on as there national team sponsor while letting them stop the domestic league sponsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

prendy wrote: »
    FAI are an absolute joke, i mean the only viable way to get decent league sponsors is to tie the national team in. what do they do, the opposite!

MNS is a good thing for the league, the FAI will probably manage to get that cancelled aswell!
    FFS get a grip. All that has been said is that eircom are in discussions with the FAI because their agreement to sponsor the national team and the national league is coming to an end at the end of the year. Given the earlier reports of eircom pulling out of sponsoring the league I'd what has happened is that someone leaked that eircom want out of the league sponsorship, but are negotiating to keep sponsoring the national side- which the FAI don't want.

As for MNS, RTÉ didn't want to do it but the FAI insisted that any deal to have rights to international games included the eircom league and that the highlights show would be shown on a prime time slot. It's because of the FAI that we now have a decent highlights programme.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    They agreed to let them stay on as there national team sponsor while letting them stop the domestic league sponsor.
    Where did you read this? People, as usual, seem to be quick to castigate the FAI without looking at the facts.

I don't see how the FAI can be blamed for this (I can't see how this makes them west brits either)

I probably should have made the point a tad more clear, in so far as the FAI should safegaurd the domestic league sponsorship along with the national teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I probably should have made the point a tad more clear, in so far as the FAI should safegaurd the domestic league sponsorship along with the national teams.
    That's what they said that are doing at a fans forum at Abbotstown in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

That's what they said that are doing at a fans forum at Abbotstown in January.

They did say that any deal with the national side would also incorporate the domestic league as well. So this time they really have gone as low as sell out the domestic game like this. I cant help but feel a sense of portrayal from the FAI.

The Domestic game will suffer from this.

They have sold us out , us meaning the League supporters of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was true, good stuff from the FAI as always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

jamesozzie wrote: »
    god i hate that ugly Eircom logo on the front of Irish jerseys. They dont have the logo on their shirts in games so why should we fork out €60 a go to promote them w@nkers at Eircom?

Until they get rid of the sponsor on the Ireland shirts I wont buy 1, there is not 1 other national team in the world that have jerseys displaying the main sponsor

unfortunatly, its part of the contract,

considering the current state of the whole set up, clubs facing bankrubsacy, etc, maybe eircom choose not to carry on putting their name to it, although you would think that a major irish company would want to keep their name ascoiated with it, it may not be the EPL or SPL, but irish soccer had gained some popularity on these shores in recent years, although looks like it could be on the way out unless the blaziers at the FAI have something planed

:(

trying to think if there is any italian companies who would put their name and cash to it

:rolleyes:

oh yeah, almost forgot, a linky to the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

could the league situation be anything to do with the north and south league-merger plan?

GuanYin wrote: »
    could the league situation be anything to do with the north and south league-merger plan?

At this stage, probably not, because both the FAI and the IFA aren't at all close to agreement on a merger.

In fact they are about as far from close to agreement as can be.

The merger idea is being driven by private enterprise as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well that is my point, maybe the FAI got a better deal and the Eircom sponsors couldn't match it or didn't want to enter into it.

Even if the north and south didn't agree recently, money can be a great motivational tool.

Depressing article but he loses a lot of respect for mentioning genesis. He claims Sligo are forced to overspend because Pats have loads of money. How does that one work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/mhqlausngbmh/

Errorcom claim it's not true and they are going to continue to support the domestic game.

Did you read the article you linked? They deny nothing. They refuse to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Seaneh wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/mhqlausngbmh/

Errorcom claim it's not true and they are going to continue to support the domestic game.

Where do they make this claim?

• Advertisement
Advertisement