Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SATA & Nvidia

Options
  • 24-07-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I read a comment on Komplett in relation to Samsung sata drives having a conflict with Nvidia chipsets, do you know if this problem has been resolved with newer drives, I have googled and came up with loads of mentions of problem and I think there is a workaround

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive been using samsung drives since the spinponts came out years ago, and using the nf2/4 chipsets along with the 680 and 780 chipsets and have never had a problem at all. Its probably to do with S.M.A.R.T, but sure no one turns that on these days anyway.

Sure, throw us up a link of the problem and ill have a quick gander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxfordbuild

Thanks, thats good to hear, this was in the review section on Komplett which led me to google it -

"Good drive over all but all the SpinPoint F1's have a major problem with some Nvidia chipsets. Basically if your motherboard has an Nvidia chipset there's a chance that the drive will cause your system to hang and some data corruption.
    There is a solution though if you disable command queuing in the device manager it stops the problem and the drive is back to being all the good things described in the other reviews. Also if you have an ATI chipset its not an issue at all.
    I was really annoyed by the problems this caused which lead to me having to return the first drive I got but now I've found the work around its a great drive and I'm really happy with it but if you do have an Nvidia chipset you should be aware of the potential problem"

Advertisement