Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what if the 440m coke bust was irishmen in england?

• 24-07-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Seeing as if the cocaine trail was say 3 irish citizens and had happened in say norfolk the story would be in the top 3 headlines in the irish news regardless, yet it is confined to the NI section of the bbc site where less people in mainland UK will see it, its not hidden but hardly obvious considering.

Also I am fairly certain if it did happen the other way around the reports would play on the fact of the bungling operation of the wrong fuel etc. I remember a few years back when a tower in south dublin was exploded and didnt fall. The usual 'irish joke' reporting took place but they failed to report the company responsible was english. Anyhow it was just something which crossed my mind this morning when on news bbc site.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Do you get upset by "Irish" jokes? One of the best traits about the Irish (in my opinion) is we don't mind people telling jokes about us (or so I thought).
    I was in America and my god if a black person thought you were telling a joke about them you'd never hear the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dodgyme wrote: »
    Seeing as if the cocaine trail was say 3 irish citizens and had happened in say norfolk the story would be in the top 3 headlines in the irish news regardless, yet it is confined to the NI section of the bbc site where less people in mainland UK will see it, its not hidden but hardly obvious considering.

Also I am fairly certain if it did happen the other way around the reports would play on the fact of the bungling operation of the wrong fuel etc. I remember a few years back when a tower in south dublin was exploded and didnt fall. The usual 'irish joke' reporting took place but they failed to report the company responsible was english. Anyhow it was just something which crossed my mind this morning when on news bbc site.

it does happen the other way around, its just the BBC don't go on about the nationality of those involved the way RTE do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

it does happen the other way around, its just the BBC don't go on about the nationality of those involved the way RTE do.

your wrong there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

your wrong there

No, he isn't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I sense a strong inferiority complex from the OP.

Move on,get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, the Irish media love to cover the doing of Irish poeple no matter how good/bad/indifferent/big/small and no matter where in the world - its this "diaspora" crap, the same mentality which causes some to belive all things Irish are at the centre of the worlds attention.

BTW I imagine in the area where the policeman was killed by one of the 3, its news.

edit - it should be in Europe not NI on the bbc site.

edit edit , apparently this happened in the Irish Sea

Mike.

your wrong there

what, that the it doesn't happen, or that the BBC don't go on about the nationality?

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed, the Irish media love to cover the doing of Irish poeple no matter how good/bad/indifferent/big/small and no matter where in the world - its this "diaspora" crap, the same mentality which causes some to belive all things Irish are at the centre of the worlds attention.

BTW I imagine in the area where the policeman was killed by one of the 3, its news.

Mike.

damn these furriners moving to another country for a better way of life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

My personal fave:

Pat and Mick are walking down O'Connell Street when Pat trips and sprains his ankle.

Pat: "Ah Mick, I've fecked me ankle, would ya call me an ambulance"

Mick: "Yer an ambulance!" :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This may hurt so brace yourself:

We're really relly really not that important to the Brits.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Why would people in the UK care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Correct, they wouldn't care. They'd thank the authorities here for jailing 3 of their low lifes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Can Of Worms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I sense sassenachs in this thread...ssshhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Bambi wrote: »
    Sausages? Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bambi wrote: »

The abominable snowman...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I think that the British media is more interested in stabbing, Muslims and kicking Gordon Brown up the arse, to be concerned about anything else. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pat and Mick are walking down O'Connell Street when Pat trips and sprains his ankle.

Pat: "Ah Mick, I've fecked me ankle, would ya call me an ambulance"

Mick: "Yer an ambulance!" :D:pac:
    lol (note: a small "lol" :))
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Yep.

I remember some bloke in 1997 bitching on Questions & Answers I think about how RTE covered the British election but British media didn't cover the Irish election. John Bowman's response was the same as yours, Ikky.
    Britain is a far bigger player on the world's stage than Ireland will ever be. Of course the 1997 British election and its outcome was gonna be of interest to Ireland and many other countries around the world.

not really the point I was making. It was kinda more about how same story would be reported in the british media if it was 3 irishmen off say cornwall. The other point is that it was pretty much a totally english operation and I thought would have more space on the news.bbc

not really the point I was making. It was kinda more about how same story would be reported in the british media if it was 3 irishmen off say cornwall. The other point is that it was pretty much a totally english operation and I thought would have more space on the news.bbc

it would be reported because a drugs bust is big news, but not in someone else's country.

These gangs are multinational, it just so happened these guys that got caught were english but the drugs came from spain.

There was a similar story a while back in London, I think there were Brits, Irish, Turks and Spaniards involved. I wouldn't be surprised if the two things aren't connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What has that got to do with anything? It was Brits who were convicted, not Irish, so you would expect when 3 brits get 85 years between them in a foreign country, that it would be reported in the media. It has nothing to do with our importance to Britain...

Perhaps there's a related ongoing drugs investigation in the UK, so the UK media has been told to back off from the big headlines.

What has that got to do with anything? It was Brits who were convicted, not Irish, so you would expect when 3 brits get 85 years between them in a foreign country, that it would be reported in the media. It has nothing to do with our importance to Britain...

yes but the point seems lost on the AH crowd

yes but the point seems lost on the AH crowd

I'll concede that you are right, and it should have got more of a mention. Doing a quick Google, it sticks out like a sore thumb that it gets a mention pretty much everywhere on the planet apart from the UK.

The main point of it getting a mention is that the sentences handed out are the highest ever for drugs offences in Ireland.

Apart from my previous post, I can't think for the life of me, any reason for its non-appearance in the UK media.

However, I see that David Cameron has had his push-bike nicked !

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'll concede that you are right, and it should have got more of a mention. Doing a quick Google, it sticks out like a sore thumb that it gets a mention pretty much everywhere on the planet apart from the UK.

The main point of it getting a mention is that the sentences handed out are the highest ever for drugs offences in Ireland.

Apart from my previous post, I can't think for the life of me, any reason for its non-appearance in the UK media.

However, I see that David Cameron has had his push-bike nicked !

I've just been checking a few sites to see what coverage it did get and i can't even find it on the RTE site now.

OH well, can't have been that important.

I've just been checking a few sites to see what coverage it did get and i can't even find it on the RTE site now.

OH well, can't have been that important.

Are you talking about Dave's bike? :P

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you talking about Dave's bike? :P

did anything else happen?:D

apart from some poor girl called hula tellulah from somewhere or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 eoinmaclove

i don't think in general people in Britain know or care much about what happens here. That has always been the case really, we watch the UK soaps, news, sports, drama's, entertainment so we've always known more and had more interest in them than they in us. the same doesn't happen in reverse.
    Only last weekend I had guests over from England.. upon arrival, following conversation was had

Guest: "hi"
    Me: "hi"
    Guest: "do you get Big Brother over here"
    Me: "course we do yeah"
    Guest: "is it an Irish one or the one we get?"

But the best ever had to be an colleague when I worked in London

me: "but, for example, would you know who the president of Ireland is"
    girl: "yeah, its', oh, wait... Sonia O' Sullivan isn't it?"
    me: pmsl :p
    girl: "is it not her?" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

3 dopes in a boat :p

• Advertisement

i don't think in general people in Britain know or care much about what happens here. cool:

missing the point again. Chr*st above?

Advertisement