Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AutoCAD tips + tricks

Options
  • 24-07-2008 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

Lets see if this takes off

Some handy ones I came across recently - for AutoCAD Lite - for areas / perimeters

Draw a polyline around the rooms / spaces

Using this lisp routine ( edit a new icon ) - click on the ployline and a text area / perimeter will insert

Boundary area (only)

^C^C_area;_object;\-mtext;\@300,0;Area $M=$(rtos,$(/,$(getvar,area),1000000),2,0) M2 ;;

Boundary area and perimeter

^C^C_area;_object;\-mtext;\@300,0;Area $M=$(rtos,$(/,$(getvar,area),1000000),2,0) M2 ;Perimeter $(rtos,$(/,$(getvar,perimeter),1000),2,0) M ;;

- this one is god for site layouts - roads footpaths - set up yout curves and lines on a temp layer - then click this command and it will create a continuous polyline to the shape you have outlined

Boundary
    ^C^C_boundary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

one of my favourites

this one purges , sets layer to 0 , exits model space into paper space , zooms extents , saves the drawing end executes open file - in a flash

^C^C-pu;all;;n;-pu;all;;n;-pu;all;;n;tm;0;ps;z;e;;SA;open;

ever have to work on a drawing where the Z co ords are all jumbled up - and intersection snaps / fillet / polyline edit don't work because "lines are not co planar" - try this

^C^C_UCS;;_move _all;;0,0,1e99;;_move _all;;0,0,-1e99;;

• Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sinnerboy wrote: »
    ever have to work on a drawing where the Z co ords are all jumbled up - and intersection snaps / fillet / polyline edit don't work because "lines are not co planar" - try this

GODSEND !!!!!!!!

How would i go about writing that into Autocad2005 ? I know nothing of lisp routines....

I hate importing surveyors dwgs and trying to get areas off it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Put down the pencil.:D

Couldn't help it, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fredsherman

CHANGE command (precursor to properties dialogue box) changes elevs if you cant do lisp

change
    type all in when asked to select
    p for properties
    e for elev
    type in 0 and hit enter

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    GODSEND !!!!!!!!

How would i go about writing that into Autocad2005 ? I know nothing of lisp routines....

I hate importing surveyors dwgs and trying to get areas off it.....

By creating a new icon . I use AutoCAD LT 2005 - full AutoCAD may vary

Easiest way is to right click on an existing icon . Scroll down the context menu to "Customise" . Dialogue box appears - Select "new" icon and drag it into an exiting toolbar . New icon will be blank . right click on it , select cutomise . Then select properties . cut and paste lisp into "macros associated with this button" . You dont have to but i suggest you create a symbol for the new icon .

Hope all that makes sense - it is actually easier done that said .

Put down the pencil.:D

Couldn't help it, sorry!

how "poor" are you UT . No money for a PC ? :D:D

how "poor" are you UT . No money for a PC ? :D:D

All donations kindly accepted.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Number one tip for autocad

Buy Archicad 11:D

otherwise:
    www.cben.net

heres some from my cadmonkey days:

when trimming or extending hold down shift to alternate
    ie. when trimming lines holding down shift and clicking the line will extend the line.

convertpstyles
    lets you use .ctb files instead of .stb files on newer versions of cad

shift + r-click
    brings up snap settings

when drawing site boundaries use polylines. An option in the properties menu allows you to input a global width to make the line bolder

when using pspace. select 1 viewport and r-click. this extends the viewport to the printable limits of the sheet.

By creating a new icon . I use AutoCAD LT 2005 - full AutoCAD may vary

Easiest way is to right click on an existing icon . Scroll down the context menu to "Customise" . Dialogue box appears - Select "new" icon and drag it into an exiting toolbar . New icon will be blank . right click on it , select cutomise . Then select properties . cut and paste lisp into "macros associated with this button" . You dont have to but i suggest you create a symbol for the new icon .

Hope all that makes sense - it is actually easier done that said .

just did that and it works a treat, i had to reconfig an existing button however as it wouldnt let me drag into an existing toolbar.

I tried it out on a survey i got in and it worked!! brilliant... thanks again SB...!!

• Advertisement

Are there any programmes out there that allow you to print out from later autocad versions?
    I have 2006 and Some of our consulatants have 2007/08. Just means that everytime I get a drawing I have to call them back and get them to save as an earlier version

Slig wrote: »
    Are there any programmes out there that allow you to print out from later autocad versions?
    I have 2006 and Some of our consulatants have 2007/08. Just means that everytime I get a drawing I have to call them back and get them to save as an earlier version

Ask them nicely if the would simply set AutoCAD to always save back to an older version . We do here . We run 2005 + 2006 . Go to tools, options , then open and save tab . We set to save as 2000 to avoid problems when we send on .

Don't now how to solve question as you pose it though .

Ask them nicely if the would simply set AutoCAD to always save back to an older version . We do here . We run 2005 + 2006 . Go to tools, options , then open and save tab . We set to save as 2000 to avoid problems when we send on .

Don't now how to solve question as you pose it though .

There are free dwg viewers out there that may open and print later versions. I dont use them but i know of their existance. Some contractors use them.

Ive never had an issue saving older for people. Generally when the drawing is being requested i ask them how they want it... and save accordingly.

PS i use 2005 all the time, yet i always save as 2004... just in case of a mad crash, i can use my old 2004 and continue working...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

So what release of AutoCAD do you all use, I'm quiet surprised to see an number of posters using 2005/2006.

I'm using AutoCAD 2009 and have REVIT sitting beside me in the box. (haven't had a change yet to explore it).

With regards to saving drawings and forwarding them to third parties, I use the eTransmit command, which I've set to default to AutoCAD 2004. For those not familiar with the eTransmit command, it allows one include the relevant plot style, images, text fonts, specific line types etc associated with the particular drawing file, as well as the drawing itself. I hate when I get a drawings from a third parties and the relevant plot style isn't attached.

Same, 2009 and Revit. When you get a chance jump into revit and explore, It'll change your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Some good tips there lads. Especially when it comes to using surveyor's drawings. :)

I'm using AutoCAD 2007 and can clearly remember starting out with Release 9. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

smashey wrote: »
    I'm using AutoCAD 2007 and can clearly remember starting out with Release 9. :eek::D
    can go be a few releases further there smashey to release 2.5 :eek:

archtech wrote: »
    So what release of AutoCAD do you all use, I'm quiet surprised to see an number of posters using 2005/2006.

I'm using AutoCAD 2009 and have REVIT sitting beside me in the box. (haven't had a change yet to explore it).

With regards to saving drawings and forwarding them to third parties, I use the eTransmit command, which I've set to default to AutoCAD 2004. For those not familiar with the eTransmit command, it allows one include the relevant plot style, images, text fonts, specific line types etc associated with the particular drawing file, as well as the drawing itself. I hate when I get a drawings from a third parties and the relevant plot style isn't attached.

Ditto

I only use Autocad to print. I have just moved from Archicad 9 to Archicad 11. both programmes can open autocad drawings and edit them but Archicad 9 got confused if the autocad drawing was saved while in paperspace. 11 seems to work but I havent figured out how to add a .ctb file for printing.

Archicad is far superior to autocad for drawing in both 3d and 2d. Im not trying to sell the system, I grew up on autocad but if I have to edit anything in autocad now I just get frustrated, its so clunky and aqward.

archtech wrote: »
    can go be a few releases further there smashey to release 2.5 :eek:
    Release 9 could sometimes take 20 minutes to send to the plotter. I'd imagine 2.5 was an all night job. :D

Started with the LT and then to R14. I remember if you didn't immerse yourself totally in the computer and abandon the board fully you would never convert yourself.

Does any one use the Digitiser? It seemed like a good system when I saw it demonstrated a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is flatten an existing command in the full version.
    Does any one use the Digitiser? It seemed like a good system when I saw it demonstrated a few years ago.
    I've nver used it, but I imagne its very out-dated now. The technology is about 15 years old, maybe more. With modern technology, it can be combined with the screen, to give a modern drawing board,
    see here http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/

Do people here use toolbars??
    I use cad in zero mode (i call it), ctrl+0 I think. I have perm on, barely a single button, all commands through shortcuts

Mellor wrote: »

Do people here use toolbars??
    I use cad in zero mode (i call it), ctrl+0 I think. I have perm on, barely a single button, all commands through shortcuts

i use about 50 / 50 between toolbars and shortcuts....
    the majority of my toolbars contain flyouts, much easier and less clutter on screen

does anyone use sheet sets?? whats the idea behind them...

PS started using etransmit when emailing drawings... its an excellent tool..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I use toolbars for all but the most common comands then i use the shortcuts. tip you can add commands easily to tool bars if you like eg i use the divide comand a good bit and have added it to my standard tool bar.

can we sticky this??

I'm thinking we could move it to the new CAD forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ifl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭DvB

topcatcbr wrote: »
    I use toolbars for all but the most common comands then i use the shortcuts. tip you can add commands easily to tool bars if you like eg i use the divide comand a good bit and have added it to my standard tool bar.

I use toolbars for pretty much everything, currently using 2006 LT (with slingshot) & Full Autocad 2006, cant see the office updating the software for a while either, wages & keeping the company afloat is the priority these days.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Moved to the CAD forum

Im surprized at how many people use toolbars for everything.
    I have no toolbars on screen, except for properties drop down along the top, and the regular stuff.

All the common commands I use shortcuts.
    If I need a strange command, I'll either find it. Or just type the whole cammand name in full.

I never had to learn the shortcuts, most can be guess,
    line = l
    polyline = pl
    erase = e
    move = m
    trim = tr

It used to annoy me that "R" was redraw and not rotate, so I changed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mellor wrote: »
    Im surprized at how many people use toolbars for everything.
    I have no toolbars on screen, except for properties drop down along the top, and the regular stuff.

All the common commands I use shortcuts.
    If I need a strange command, I'll either find it. Or just type the whole cammand name in full.

I never had to learn the shortcuts, most can be guess,
    line = l
    polyline = pl
    erase = e
    move = m
    trim = tr

It used to annoy me that "R" was redraw and not rotate, so I changed it.
    I'm the opposite I wouldn't know the command lines for most of the even more basics commands. I use Toolbars for everything.

I think that means i'm lazy but there is no changing me now. Its actually a bit of a bitch when I change to someone else computer and the icons are all in different positions, so maybe i should set a bit of time learning the commands

Advertisement