Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AutoCAD tips + tricks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It's all to do with what you are used to. I'm with Mellor in that I use the shortcuts. Even now while having a mouse with a wheel, I still use "z" for zoom. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Q2002 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite I wouldn't know the command lines for most of the even more basics commands. I use Toolbars for everything.

I think that means i'm lazy but there is no changing me now. Its actually a bit of a bitch when I change to someone else computer and the icons are all in different positions, so maybe i should set a bit of time learning the commands
    There is no learning, just take a guess. You'll get it right most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Plus 'spacebar' is repeat last command, so if, for example you are trimming lots of different lines, you can just keep hitting space, instead of typing tr or finding it on the toolbar.

I use the mouse to navigate, and the keyboard to input commands. It really is worth it to learn the few simple commands. As mellor says, it's generally common sense. RO is rotate, MI is mirror, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The "Esc" on the escape key of my keyboard is starting to wear off again:DHas to be the only shortcut key I use on cad

Plus 'spacebar' is repeat last command, so if, for example you are trimming lots of different lines, you can just keep hitting space, instead of typing tr or finding it on the toolbar.

If you are trimming lots of lines, start the trim command, then right click without selecting a trimming/cutting line. This enters free trim mode, can just click any line to trim it bet its two cloest intersections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Slig wrote: »
    Are there any programmes out there that allow you to print out from later autocad versions?
    I have 2006 and Some of our consulatants have 2007/08. Just means that everytime I get a drawing I have to call them back and get them to save as an earlier version

Try AutocadDWG DXF Converted - it also converts from Autocad 9 up to Autocad 2007 and vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

RKQ wrote: »
    Try AutocadDWG DXF Converted - it also converts from Autocad 9 up to Autocad 2007 and vice versa!
    He has an older version so it will not have the capability to use newer versions. If you need to edit the drawing the only thing you could do is to store it in a similar format. If you just need to view it they could pdf it or you could use a viewer program

as regards to tricks there are commonly available cut sheets of the old command prompts with used to use R11 and upgraded to 2009, I still use prompts such as xline (constructiom), o (offset), dimscale (dimsension scale) etc etc

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    dimscale (dimsension scale) etc etc
    And I still use dimasz (dimension arrow size) every now and again out of pure habit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

smashey wrote: »
    And I still use dimasz (dimension arrow size) every now and again out of pure habit. :D

Ha ha I know what you mean, due to customization of some of our autocad we went from R11 with was command based to the newest 2009 windows based. We jumped approximately 15 years. It is still weird to have helical shapes and other cool things associated with a modern package. When I am drawing, it looks like I am programming lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

In layout tab - right click on tag and select Page Setup Manager

Edit your plot routine - by ticking Display Plot Styles below ctb file

Then Using tools - options - display -colours - set Layout tabs to Background colour white

Your paper space will always look "like paper" no need for plot preview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thanks Sinnerboy. I use a black background with coloured lines for differing line thickness. Coloured lines, particularly yellow, are hard to see on a white back ground.

Would you recommend changing it to white for less eye strain?
    Do most people use a white back ground?:confused:

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Ok, i haven't been using AC for long, still drawing 2D only, doing a pretty intensive crash course though, some tips i picked up on:

A colour neutral grey for the display is the best option i find, all the default linetype colours are visiible, white on the otherhand is a bad idea i think since it is much brighter and causes more eye strain.

ctrl+0 really is the only way to work if your screen is small, the toolbars take up crazy screen real estate, and it forces you to learn the aliases which will in the end save you so much time, plus AC has a hard time loading all the tools slowing down the program.

When i started out i went as far as searching acad.pgp for every command i used to learn to aliases, AC is in the habit of hiding the pgp in different folders depending on the version, but it can always be found by going to tools/customize/edit program parameters. Save as "Alias.txt" to the desktop and keep it open whenever your running AC. I would avoid changing any of the alias since its going to cripple you when you work on any machine that isn't your own.

If you have two lines that you wish to make intersect, call up the fillet command (f), enter a radius (r) 0, select both lines. This is much quicker then extending and triming.

Tempoverrides should be set to 0: this is very annoying when set to 1 as is the default since it will lag or stick all your +shift commands like @, <,...

Match properties (ma) is a great way of avoiding the annoying drop down layer menu when your moving griping to change layer. Simply select a handle that is on the layer you want and then select all the lines you want to put on that layer: so much faster.

@ will continue the next command from (or relative to) the end point of the last command, real handy if your drawing multiple circles with the same centre or if you want to the break at point (eg. br/f/@)

Don't bother trying to break at point a circle or an ellipsis AC will tell you to feck-off.

If you find that you can no longer pan across further or zoom out type Regen (re), this will also make your arcs and circles look prettier when you zoom in.

Using properties (ch) to edit text is much easier and quicker then using ddedit.

Shift+space lets you select an underlying line.

And for gods sake never hit F1 or use the help in Autocad, google is alwyas much more helpful. I'd go so far as to disable it.

Anyone use custom mice or keyboards, tablets for AC? I hear track balls are much handier for drafting.

I've ordered a nostromo keyboard, after reading this thread, anyone using one of these. Not sure what the setting up is going to be like.

This has to be the most annoying default in AC after Tempoverrides:

To stop trimming and extending to apparent intersections set edgemode to 0.

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Lets see if this takes off

Some handy ones I came across recently - for AutoCAD Lite - for areas / perimeters

Draw a polyline around the rooms / spaces

Using this lisp routine ( edit a new icon ) - click on the ployline and a text area / perimeter will insert

Boundary area (only)

^C^C_area;_object;\-mtext;\@300,0;Area $M=$(rtos,$(/,$(getvar,area),1000000),2,0) M2 ;;

Boundary area and perimeter

^C^C_area;_object;\-mtext;\@300,0;Area $M=$(rtos,$(/,$(getvar,area),1000000),2,0) M2 ;Perimeter $(rtos,$(/,$(getvar,perimeter),1000),2,0) M ;;

- this one is god for site layouts - roads footpaths - set up yout curves and lines on a temp layer - then click this command and it will create a continuous polyline to the shape you have outlined

Boundary
    ^C^C_boundary

Apologies for trolling the thread:

But ^C^C_boundary has me confused; this does the same thing as say drawing a rectangle around an object and using boundary to get the outline.

Some more noobish question; what does the "^C^C" mean?

Whats the difference between a boundary and a perimeter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

sinnerboy wrote: »
    ever have to work on a drawing where the Z co ords are all jumbled up - and intersection snaps / fillet / polyline edit don't work because "lines are not co planar" - try this

^C^C_UCS;;_move _all;;0,0,1e99;;_move _all;;0,0,-1e99;;

i uploaded your lisp routine and it doesnt work as you mentioned,
    it basically 'flat packs' the entire drawing, turning it into a 2D drawing, its similar to using the overkill command.

it basically moves everything onto the plane of the world xy ucs axis,
    deleting the z axis values and making it possible to join the polylines,

the only reason i could see this ever being used would be if i was to convert a 3d drawing into a 2d... and even then it looses some data while compacting the drawing.

to set it up (full 2009): i first did an appload and it didnt recogonise the name i gave it so i placed it into the cui file on the ribbon tab with the icon etc when i tried it on a few polylines it deleted some and did join the odd one or two, but when i tried it in a more complex drawing it basically flattened the drawing, lucky enough i noticed it before i hit save.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Mellor wrote: »
    Im surprized at how many people use toolbars for everything.
    I have no toolbars on screen, except for properties drop down along the top, and the regular stuff.

All the common commands I use shortcuts.
    If I need a strange command, I'll either find it. Or just type the whole cammand name in full.

I never had to learn the shortcuts, most can be guess,
    line = l
    polyline = pl
    erase = e
    move = m
    trim = tr

It used to annoy me that "R" was redraw and not rotate, so I changed it.

I use both, Most of the basic commands i use shortcuts. Ive learned lots of them over the years. Maybe we could make a list of them? I would love to learn more, its so much quicker than using the toolbars.
    (to add to yours above)

Extend = ex
    Rectangle = rec
    Circle = c
    Properties = ch
    Regenerate = re
    Mirror = mi
    Stretch = s
    Explode = x
    Copy = co
    Arc = a
    Construction Line = xl
    Spline = spl
    Multiline Text = t
    Offset = o
    Distance = di
    Rotate = ro
    Scale = sc
    Chamfer = cha
    Insert = i
    Match Properties = ma
    Undo = u
    Write Block = w
    Polyline Edit = pedit
    List (for info about an object, i use it for area) = li
    External Reference = xr
    Hatch = h

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Mackman wrote: »
    I use both, Most of the basic commands i use shortcuts. Ive learned lots of them over the years. Maybe we could make a list of them? I would love to learn more, its so much quicker than using the toolbars.
    (to add to yours above)

Thats all i can think of at the moment.
    Using Z for Zoom is very handy and when you hit either enter or the space bar after Z then A for all, D for dynamic, E for extents, and W for window all ceom into play.

Using Z for Zoom is very handy and when you hit either enter or the space bar after Z then A for all, D for dynamic, E for extents, and W for window all ceom into play.

The mouse wheel is great for zooming. double click it to zoom extents, and hold it down for pan

The mouse wheel is great for zooming. double click it to zoom extents, and hold it down for pan
    I know that but it's all habit with me stemming from starting on AutoCad release 9. :D

• Advertisement

I know that but it's all habit with me stemming from starting on AutoCad release 9. :D

Jaysus, showing your age there :p
    Furthest i go back is R14

Jaysus, showing your age there :p
    Furthest i go back is R14
    shush. :p

(to add to yours above)

Making a list is a bit silly, for a start the list of the short cuts is available through autocad. Also, shortcuts may differ from office to office. But most importantly you should have your own shortcuts customised, for example have r as regen and not rotate is bizarre.

Mellor wrote: »
    Making a list is a bit silly, for a start the list of the short cuts is available through autocad. Also, shortcuts may differ from office to office. But most importantly you should have your own shortcuts customised, for example have r as regen and not rotate is bizarre.

Well thats fair enough. I just thought it would be good for people who havent been using CAD long who are stilll using toolbars for everything and dont know how to customise the shortcuts. Just something to start them off using the shortcuts, hence why the ones ive posted are the default ones.

I just have a little query, i didnt want to start a new thread just for it.

Im currently using AutoCAD 2007, and im having a problem with Dimensions. When i have my dimensions done, and i copy/move an object with a node from the dimensions on it, the dimension copies/moves with it. its driving me nuts. It happens when i have the dimension layer turned off too.
    Anyone know how to make the dimensions non-associative to the objects?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

Im currently using AutoCAD 2007, and im having a problem with Dimensions. When i have my dimensions done, and i copy/move an object with a node from the dimensions on it, the dimension copies/moves with it. its driving me nuts. It happens when i have the dimension layer turned off too.

Change the DIMASSOC system variable to 1, then all new dimensions created will not be associative but any old ones will still be associative. To change any current dimensions back to non-associative use the DIMDISASSOCIATE command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

if you do a quick select for all dimensions or a filter,
    then go into modify properties and change it through there,
    im not sure if there is an option in the dimension style box either to change that setting.

Advertisement