Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planes circling

Options
  • 24-07-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Spotted 3 planes circling for about 45 mins last night, obviously waiting in a Q to land at Dublin airport, all commercial aircraft. First thoughts were the Radar is gone again!
    Anyone know why? It's not that common for Dublin airport I'd imagine?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Any flight into Dublin I've been on generally goes straight in, but I did have one where we did a few laps before landing I while ago which I thought was a bit odd at the time. I think it was before the problems they had with the radar or whatever though, and I was actually glad of the extra time to doze off before heading into work so had thought no more about it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Holding is not uncommon at Dublin at peak times......you might end up in a hold and not realise it as a pax lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

There is regular holding at Dublin due to traffic volume. Last night Low Visibility Procedures were in place leading to larger spacing between landing aircraft and therefore holding. No aircraft held for more than 15 minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Holding is not uncommon at Dublin at peak times......you might end up in a hold and not realise it as a pax lol

I know how many times the plane should be banking on my regular flight into Dublin if it's going straight in, in either direction.

Have they still got an extra delay added between landing at the moment though since the network failiure?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

robinph wrote: »
    I know how many times the plane should be banking on my regular flight into Dublin if it's going straight in, in either direction.

Have they still got an extra delay added between landing at the moment though since the network failiure?
    The heavy fog yesterday disrupted the schedule as they had to operate under low-vis prcedures. The knock on effect was the during the day the normal sequence of arrivals was not spaced out so I'm sure they had several periods of busier than normal apporaches so some a/c got told to do laps of the Wicklow mts before coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Cool, thanks for letting me know what the crack was. It was interesting watching them all tail around behind each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Jon wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for letting me know what the crack was. It was interesting watching them all tail around behind each other.

Also its called a Stack.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

An interactive diagram showing the theory behind a holding stack... Holding Stack

Advertisement