Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private optician or leading optician

• 24-07-2008 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice please.

I got glasses about a year ago but feel that I need to get my eyes tested again.

Is it better to go to a small optician or are the bigger stores like specsavers, vision express, etc any better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

For what it's worth, I ALWAYS get my eyes tested with an opthalmic surgeon. He used to have frames also, but in recent years (with the onset of highstreet chains) he's gotten out of them. So he just gives me the prescription and I get the frames and lenses at the chain - no choice really.

I just feel safer getting him to test my eyes.

Mike

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

It depends what you're looking for from the eye test. Private opticians are usually allocated more time for an eye test than in a multiple eg I used to work in a private practise where it was half hour tests and recently went for an interview in a multiple where it's 15min tests. Due to the longer time they usually have more time to explain eveything in more detail to you.
    In terms of quality of the prescription that really depends on the individual optometrist. We've all had the same training so are all equally competent but it just depends on the individual's personality.
    Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

my wife and I used to go to a private optician in dublin who was more expensive than most, my wife always felt you pay for better service. Recently she had to get a pair of glasses urgently and had to go to the local shopping centre and used a chain group. She was really impressed with the service and got a nice pair of glasses + sunglasses for the price should would have paid for the normal glasses in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

We go to a private optician because the people there are very highly qualified (or so it seems because they have nearly the full alphabet after their names). Also, they're very nice and our family know them so we generally get discounts and stuff. Granted the stuff is more expensive, but it's way nicer. I always thought the Specsavers glasses looked a bit tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

I went to a private optician for years but he was a bit of a dinosaur and ordering lenses took an eternity so I changed over to Specsavers. They're more accessible I guess but every time I get my eyes tested I get a different optician and hence different opinion about overwear, suitablility for lenses etc which can be headwrecking. Also I think the quality of their lenses is poorer but that could be just my poxy eyes acting up as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

It really depends what you want in an optician. Specsavers and VE opticians are limited to 20 min test or bonus's are effected and are more interested in the sale. Independants can vary so can their equipment some have better equipment than other. I have heard of places the won't sell contact lenses cos the optician doesn't like them. Shop around till you find the place that will give the best service and value. It's not necessarily what you hear or see on the radio or telly is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Delphi91,

I see you are from Limerick. Who do you go to for your eyetests or can you recommend a place in Limerick to go to for a complete eye test? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Used to go to the local family optician but I had an issue with them so I promised myself I wouldn't go back. Tried Specsavers a couple of times but found the service was poor and was never that happy with the glasses (not sure if it was the prescription or the glasses). Now I get my prescription from Vision Express, who do have great customer service (at least in Blanch) and then order my glasses online. Can't speak for their glasses other than to say the prices look expensive but the "we-make-them-for-you-in-an-hour" pitch is a value point that not many opticians offer and I definitely won't get that online. I'm trying contact lenses and VE have been great there too - I'm a nervous twitchy eye person and it's taken great patience on the part of the staff there to train me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

jlang wrote: »
    Used to go to the local family optician but I had an issue with them so I promised myself I wouldn't go back. Tried Specsavers a couple of times but found the service was poor and was never that happy with the glasses (not sure if it was the prescription or the glasses). Now I get my prescription from Vision Express, who do have great customer service (at least in Blanch) and then order my glasses online. Can't speak for their glasses other than to say the prices look expensive but the "we-make-them-for-you-in-an-hour" pitch is a value point that not many opticians offer and I definitely won't get that online. I'm trying contact lenses and VE have been great there too - I'm a nervous twitchy eye person and it's taken great patience on the part of the staff there to train me.

Do they know that your going to piss off with your prescription after their hard work training you?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

i go private- more expensive but great quality of care- i can call in anytime if i have a problem- they know my name and i generally get the same person to see me. i hear specsavers etc are good but it depends on what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

complicit wrote: »
    Do they know that your going to piss off with your prescription after their hard work training you?:D
    What I said above was really about glasses in the context of a contrasting a small shop against a multi-branch. On the contact lens fitting, I feel I paid a fair price for the assessment and the training. It wasn't cheap but the service has generally been excellent. Even if I don't choose to get my glasses made up there, I will at least give the shop and it's staff a high recommendation.

I didn't like the hard sell on the direct debit option for lenses but it is a good deal cheaper than buying off (their) shelves. I signed up and I'll stick with the debit until I'm comfortable with the prescription and the lenses - at least until after the 6 month or 1 year check up after which I'll look into cheaper supply channels, but still go back for regular checks and to ensure my prescription is correct.

Advertisement