Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Marinades

• 24-07-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I'm having a BBQ the August weekend and there will be Vegagtarians and Carnivores there and I am looking for some good marinades and ideas. While I'm an ok cook i'd like something a bit yummy!

All advice appreciated

Ta very much!! :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Recent topic - have a look here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's some of my BBQ ideas - the chicken wings are fab in this marinade but you do have to cook them plain in the oven first or they go black. Also, boiling the pork ribs first sounds and smells minging but it's worth it because they're tender and don't shrivel to a charred mess.

Pork ribs; Buy pork ribs in a sheet and cut them into strips of 3 with a scissors. Bring them to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes then turn off the heat and leave them in the water until you need them. Brush them with Sharwoods Hoi Sin sauce and cook on the barbecue for 15-20 minutes, or less - they just need the sauce to be cooked into them.

Chicken fillets; Use whole or cut into chunks for kebabs. 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of cornflour. You can add fresh chilli or chilli powder if you like. Leave the chicken in the marinade for at least an hour. These should take 15-20 minutes on the barbecue.

Chicken wings; Precook in the oven at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes then brush with marinade; Half a bottle of Sharwoods Plum Sauce, 2 tablespoons of honey,1 or 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, one tablespoon of sunflower oil and a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard. They're already cooked so they just need to be turned on the barbecue for 5 - 10 minutes. These taste amazing and are great to eat while the rest is cooking :)

Easy barbecue sauce; 2 tablespoons of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce. Nice on chicken or ribs foor a change.

Rice salad; Fry a finely diced carrot and onion in some olive oil until they
    start to soften. Add a mug of rice and stir. Add 2 mugs of boiling water mixed with a chicken stock cube and stir well. Add half a cup of frozen peas or green beans and salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook for around 20 minutes on a low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed. You can then add sweetcorn and/or diced pepper if you like. Eat warm or cold and can be reheated.

Sausages; Pour boiling water over them and leave for 10 minutes before barbecuing them. You can brush them with hoi sin or barbecue sauce when they start to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

thanks dizzy! you're fab!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is a real 'cheat', but if you fancy dishing up ribs with an "indian" flavour - marinade them in mango chutney (as in the Sharwoods stuff you get in most supermarkets). It gives you the whole sweet/sticky thing that you'd normally expect from ribs, but with an indian twist.

Advertisement