Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear mortgage ?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a few investments in the EBS adding up to about 90’000 euro after reading a thread on here about only getting up to 20’000 euro max if the bank/building society failed has me worried.

I was thinking I have about 20’000 left on my mortgage so would it be best to clear that and spread the remaining moneys out around other banks to lower my risk?

I would appreciate any input,

Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Markjf wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a few investments in the EBS adding up to about 90’000 euro after reading a thread on here about only getting up to 20’000 euro max if the bank/building society failed has me worried.

I was thinking I have about 20’000 left on my mortgage so would it be best to clear that and spread the remaining moneys out around other banks to lower my risk?

I would appreciate any input,

Mark.

First question has to be asked - How are the investments doing?

Second question - Do you get interest relief on the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Hi Stepbar,

I have 70'000 in a sure certificate account which runs for 4 years I am in it about a year and a half it has a return of about 10'000.
    The rest is in an optimise account a 4.25% interest.

I get just under 20 euro a month tax relief on my mortgage payments.

I just think I should move some of it around rather than have all my eggs in one basket.

thanks,
    Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Markjf wrote: »
    Hi Stepbar,

I have 70'000 in a sure certificate account which runs for 4 years I am in it about a year and a half it has a return of about 10'000.
    The rest is in an optimise account a 4.25% interest.

I get just under 20 euro a month tax relief on my mortgage payments.

I just think I should move some of it around rather than have all my eggs in one basket.

thanks,
    Mark.

I suppose then it might be an idea to pay off the mortgage. To be fair the relief is only 20eur a month and the interest on the mortgage would be a lot more over the year. By clearing it now you are saving money that you can use to put into a high yield savings account.

I wouldn't be in a rush to cash out of the EBS account. That sounds like a good return over a year and a half. Find out who / what the money is invested with / in. It may not be with EBS but some partner company.

Advertisement