Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pick up hitch hikers?

• 24-07-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Just wondering as I've passed quite a few of them on the road and I feel guilty when I've an empty car! I know there's buses and the likes but sometimes people may not have the cash, or bus times may not suit, or if you live in a crappy country side place then there may not be a bus route.

At the same time, I don't want to be naive and to be taken advantage of by picking someone up, as I do think there is a difference between a male driver and a female driver - some may think the female is easier to take advantage of and it could be true!

Is it likely they're weirdos or is more likely that they're just normal run of the mill people?

Would you pick up a hitchhiker? 24 votes

Yes [provided they didn't look too strange]
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I always pick them up if I have space
    62% 15 votes
    Not unless I had someone else in the car with me
    16% 4 votes
    Definitely NOT
    20% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No.

The last thing I want to do is spend the rest of my trip with some smelly crustbag and make smalltalk.

I enjoy my own company anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i pick up hitchhikers all the time

somethimes i even let them go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't drive anymore, but whenever I'm with a friend and we see a hitchhiker, we will pick the up and then wind them up. Pretend we're kidnapping them etc. It can be fun sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not so many that they don't fit in the boot afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

All hitch hikers are weirdos, FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Special K wrote: »
    Just wondering as I've passed quite a few of them on the road and I feel guilty when I've an empty car! I know there's buses and the likes but sometimes people may not have the cash, or bus times may not suit, or if you live in a crappy country side place then there may not be a bus route.

At the same time, I don't want to be naive and to be taken advantage of by picking someone up, as I do think there is a difference between a male driver and a female driver - some may think the female is easier to take advantage of and it could be true!

Is it likely they're weirdos or is more likely that they're just normal run of the mill people?

Someone's been watching too many scary movies/reading too many Sunday Worlds! Why would they all be "weirdoes"?

I used to hitch hike - great way to get to know a place from the lcoals and learn the language.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Someone's been watching too many scary movies/reading too many Sunday Worlds! Why would they all be "weirdoes"?

I used to hitch hike - great way to get to know a place from the lcoals and learn the language.
    LoL I know it used to be more common years ago, my auntie used to do it! But nowadays with buses and the likes I don't see too many doing it. Most people would pay for a taxi or get a friend/neighbour to take them somewhere. The scary movies thing could be right though......... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've picked a couple up in my car before, I was dropping my mam off, saw them and went over and they hopped in. They were a French or Canadian couple who were going to be working in UCD on some environmental issues. I'm still alive :)

One time when I was younger, my dad was driving us from Wicklow to Bray and we picked up some chap who was quite the nomadic type, he had actually just woken up from spending the night asleep in a bush. It was lashing rain that night and he said the bush kept him totally dry :) I think he may have been helping out at the Glen of the Downs protest way back when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I pick up nobody. I like to be alone.

cormie, if any of the hitchhikers that I've passed looked like you, I'd most definitely have picked them up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

It's become a thing of the past.

I used to hitch everywhere when I was in school/college and it was great to know you could walk out the door, stick your hand out and end up wherever you want to go.

People don't stop anymore though. And I stopped hitching ages ago. Hitching and picking up hitchhikers just doesn't seem cool with today's society which is a kind of a loss really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

I still do it regulary, its an easy way of getting from A to B if you're stuck.

And often when driving I would people up, obviously depending on if they looked demented wor not but Ive never had a bad experience. In fact I always have a good laugh with whoever I pick up or whoever picks me up.

Do it people....stop living in your paranoid world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nah, no chance. Lad that used to live near me and he was always hitching. One of his neighbours was passing by and pulled up to give him a lift. Don't know the full story but either there or when they reached his destination he got his fingers caught in the door or the boot. He went on and sued her. So much for a friendly neighbour pulling up to give you a lift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

seamus wrote: »
    No.

The last thing I want to do is spend the rest of my trip with some smelly crustbag and make smalltalk.

I enjoy my own company anyway.
    Ah not all hitchhikers are crustbags in fairness. Pretty women with pretty make up and pretty short skirts are whores for the hitchhiking as well. Pighead sees them out most nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

...guide to the galaxy???? yes

Smelly people looking to bum a lift, no way.

as others have said i like my personal space in my car.

Pighead wrote: »
    Ah not all hitchhikers are crustbags in fairness. Pretty women with pretty make up and pretty short skirts are whores for the hitchhiking as well. Pighead sees them out most nights.
    Would they be the ones on street corners? ;)

I must say, I wouldn't mind picking anyone up if I thought they weren't gonna kill me or something :D

Terry, don't think I'd be as brave as you joking with them that you're gonna kidnap them. It's just like something you'd see young wans doing on a film and then it'd back fire and THEY'D be the ones getting kidnapped!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Pighead wrote: »

Got to be careful of those young ones. Picked up one once and she was delighted for the lift and she had no problem showing me how delighted she was. But then she tried to take my money :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

No as a general rule but if there good looking, topless and i suppose female then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My brother used to stop for them and watch them legging it up to the car and then say, sorry have you got the time?? And drive off on them... Horrible little shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i would...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Or indicate and pull in, and when they get to the car to open the door, drive away, muhahahahahahaha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

If i know them yes, if not then no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Only if they are hot! :pac:

Cos lets face it.....the chances of some pretty eastern european lady killing you and taking your car/money etc is pretty slim!

......isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I used to hitch regularly in the 80ies when cash was scares, particularly on the Dublin to Cork route. Nulans X would be full of hitchers on a friday evening. I pick them up if they are not too threatening, Just last week I picked up a guy travelling from Limerick to Clonmel, I couldn't wait to get him out of the van, he was agitated, couldn’t shut his mouth, wanted to light up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Myself and a friend considered hitchhiking frrom Mulllingar to Dublin when we missed our bus a few years ago. He's a huge guy, so we probably wouldn't get attacked, conversely he's pretty scary so we wouldn't have been picked up.

I might pick someone up if there were two or more of us in the car, but never ever alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Last one we gave a lift to moaned like sh1t that we couldn't drop her off at the other side of town, like it was her God-given right to get a free lift. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I wouldn't because they might complain about listening to The Eagles full blast... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I used to hitch to work at the same time everyday and the same guy always picked me up. it ended up that I'd just get in and we'd both be silent, It sure was the cheaper than the local bus though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Tigger wrote: »
    i pick up hitchhikers all the time

somethimes i even let them go

I would never let one go. I've got a great collection under my shed. We should meet up and compare notes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

dsmythy wrote: »
    I would never let one go. I've got a great collection under my shed. We should meet up and compare notes.

cool i'll get my mini van
    where will i pick you up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Remember when i was but a wee lad and my affectionately dubbed Uncle "Bugs" was giving me and my mam a lift to Cork when we were no more than a few miles outside our home town and we saw a young girl with a big cardboard sign saying "CORK --->"

My uncle pulled up, opened the window and yelled "you going to Cork luv?"

Herself was delighted and only managed a nod as she picked up all her bags.

"So are we, see ya there!" he yelled as he drove off while she was still holding her bags.

I thought it was hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'd only consider it if I had someone in the car with me, but seeing as I drive a two-seater, I'm full up at that stage anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Only if they had a good business model ala 6 minute abs.
    Saying that I don't even have a car.

Advertisement