Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If there was a Maybach Smart car, would you buy it?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Most of us do most of our driving on the daily commute ...in other words, stuck in traffic and not going particularly fast, if going at all.

Realistically (at least for the commute) a small econobox with an engine that runs on fumes would be the ideal commuter car for a lot of us. There's only one problem ...econoboxes are usually "economical" all round and pretty joyless places to be in.

If there was an econmy car (something like the Smart or the Aygo) with all the trimmings ...leather, AC, bose sound system, one or two really comfortable seats, nice dash and a bit of a boot ...basically a comfy, cosy armchair on wheels ...would you buy one?

Could that tempt you out of what you drive right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I love the idea, but i'm not sure how well it could be done in something the size of a smart. Excessive road noise would be difficult to overcome. Soundproofing adds weight, which is the bane of economical cars. Not to mention the difficulty of producing a small engine that doesn't sound like it's about to explode at 100kph.

I'm wouldn't be eligible for this kind of car anyway - I'd average 80kph on my commute. If I was communting accross town however, I'd be happy to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Something like a Lancia Y except better executed?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Smart tried that with the forfour, but they wanted too much money for it

There was a brabus edition with more sports setup (Mercedes gave one to Lewis Hamilton as his first company car a few years back)

Here's one, even runs on LPG
    http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/4sale/00368-Smart%20For%20Four%20Passion%20Dual%20Fuel.htm

I've got a bog standard black edition one
    i.e. no air con or leather seats.
    but does have discs brakes all round.
    rear seat slides you you can juggle rear legroom with boot space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I'd like a small luxury car with a crap engine but I can't buy one. I might get a toyota IQ when it comes out for parkability. I'd prefer a Lexus-type tiny car.
    Excessive road noise would be difficult to overcome. Soundproofing adds weight, which is the bane of economical cars.
    Yes,noise is my least favourite aspect of small cars. It ruins music. Is soundproofing heavy? I thought it was just dense sponge. Double-glazed windows would be heavy.

[quote[Not to mention the difficulty of producing a small engine that doesn't sound like it's about to explode at 100kph..[/QUOTE]You can't legally do more than 50-60kph in most of the city.

I drove to Belfast the other day and few people were doing more than 100kph. I got 56 mpg from my 1l car at avg 100kph.

What is the point in having a fast car when everyone is crawling along?

All the slow driving seems to be reducing the fatal accident rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think you're probably describing a MINI, Peasant (except for the boot :p).

Merc tried the small luxury car with the A Class and it bombed, the A3 is generally thought of as a "fat Golf" even though it fits your requirements pretty perfectly.
    1 Series, similarly, is a family hatchback sized luxury car, but it's suffered on the second hand side for some reason.

I think if I was running 2 cars - one for me commuting and one for family/long distances/carrying stuff, I'd definitely make sure my one was A3 size or smaller (i.e. if I was a lottery winner, I'd make sure I had a Polo/Aygo/MINI in my fleet).

Small hatchbacks are so much easier to park, cheaper to run etc. and if you're the only one in the car on your commute, who cares how big the back seats are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No, Audi Chris ..I'm thinking about something one size (or two) down of what you mentioned.

A real commute-only car ...possibly a single seater, max a two seater with room for the shopping on the way home from work.

Wow, like a G-Wiz or Smart but with full leather heated seats etc. etc?

I gotta say, that wouldn't tempt me out of my normal car, it would be too restrictive in terms of use - I'd need more flexibility.

Go up a size and you've got me, but not something that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I dunno. The problem with these super small cars is that they can never be particularly safe because factoring in crumple zones onto a car that's the size of a large dog is quite difficult.

That aside, if you could make a 2 seater little luxury car with all the trimmings, didn't feel like it was about to sh1t itself when revving high and was moderately safe... you never know.

Unfortunately this wouldn't appeal to me in my current job/house as I have to use the m50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

AudiChris wrote: »
    Wow, like a G-Wiz or Smart but with full leather heated seats etc. etc?

I gotta say, that wouldn't tempt me out of my normal car, it would be too restrictive in terms of use - I'd need more flexibility.

Go up a size and you've got me, but not something that small.

I'd agree alright. Either that or a 7 series with an electric motor!! Lovely comfort, plug it in at night, relax to and from work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I'd be easily tempted out of my estate. But to be honest, her indoors wasn't too enamered when I toyed with the idea of getting a Smart for commuting (on my own every day) for fear of me being sandwiched in a pile up.

Telling her I was worth more dead than alive didn't help the argument! :rolleyes:

I knew a guy few years ago who drove a large Merc as a taxi, said he got the missus a Smart car. He preferred the Smart as it was like driving a go cart (that was enough for me to consider one, fuel economy would be close second).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Biro wrote: »
    I'd agree alright. Either that or a 7 series with an electric motor!! Lovely comfort, plug it in at night, relax to and from work!!

I would not thrust a car that ran on batteries only. I'd be afraid I'd get stuck on the M50 in traffic with it.

My aunt has a prius she bought new in 06 and already the battery is knackered. The car runs for about 45 seconds on the electric in city before the engine comes in... Battery is too expensive to replace like 12k or somthing...Gonna get a second hand battery somewhere and flog the
    thing and buy somthing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

mondeo wrote: »
    I would not thrust a car that ran on batteries only. I'd be afraid I'd get stuck on the M50 in traffic with it.

My aunt has a prius she bought new in 06 and already the battery is knackered. The car runs for about 45 seconds on the electric in city before the engine comes in... Battery is too expensive to replace like 12k or somthing...Gonna get a second hand battery somewhere and flog the
    thing and buy somthing else.

True, I was angling from the hypothetical though, given that all things would be reliable!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Is it a myth that large cars are safer than small cars? Is a small car with a 5 star ncap less safe than a larger car with a lower rating? A heavy car has more momentum so there is more energy to disperse in a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Well part of the idea of the crumple zone is that it negates some of the energy coming from the crash. If you don't have that crumple zone, where do you think the energy goes? The smaller the car the less space for the energy to disperse into.
    The Smart Car is surprisingly sturdy, but you'd be absolutely screwed in a proper crash.

Have a look at this, a Smart Car crash test:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Look up youtube for a video of a smart car crashing head on into a concrete crash barrier at 70mph ish. It's insane, doors still open the whole cockpit remains intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

peasant, what you've described isn't a million miles off what I'm driving now. Recaro seats, leather wheel, AC, decent stereo for my mp3s, two doors, seats four max.
    Small cars have come a long way in the last 10 years, features like Power steering , AirCon and ABS were once only available in luxobarges, yet you can get them in an Aygo nowadays. As the swing towards small cars continues, we'll see more and more of the luxury items trickle down. Maybe we'll see a Lexus AS110, or a Smart roadster. Looking at the list of options for the Fiat 500, you could build a small but comfortable commuter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The average speed on my commute is 110km/h so this wouldn't be that important for me.

However, were I driving from Lucan to Dublin city centre each day then yes a nice comfortable armchair on wheels would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OTK wrote: »
    Is it a myth that large cars are safer than small cars? Is a small car with a 5 star ncap less safe than a larger car with a lower rating? A heavy car has more momentum so there is more energy to disperse in a crash.

I think it's a myth that older, bigger cars are safer - I think they had an old Volvo tank against a smaller modern car, and the Volvo came out worst.

I don't really get what the benefits of an ultra-small commuter car would be - there seem to be nicely enough specified small cars out there that are quite frugal.

If there was super-super-mini-car only parking, then I might consider it. Otherwise, I'd just get a scooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

One of the scariest thing iv ever seen is a a smart overtaking a truck in a 60 zone.

Its already a merc and it doesnt do much for me now. To be honest i have 2 problems with the idea.

• Your not really supposed to drive a maybach your supposed to let someone else do that while your in the back with the hookers and coke party. :rolleyes:
    • You cant have a hooker and coke party in a smart but it may be worth a try.:rolleyes:

Buy a low boost saab if you want to drive a couch. (only car i ever got a speeding ticket in before the flames start)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Yes,noise is my least favourite aspect of small cars. It ruins music. Is soundproofing heavy? I thought it was just dense sponge. Double-glazed windows would be heavy.

It isn't heavy in itself. However, the design of larger cars reduce road noise as a by-product. For example, the Smart cars have plastic panels, rather than metal, offering less inate sound insulation. The engine in a smart would be mounted closer to the firewall. The small wheel base makes for more road vibration etc.

The point is that it would take a lot of work to make such a small car quiet without adding weight. Filling all the cavities with sponge wouldn't really do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

An alternative to this would be to put a Nissan Vanette diesel engine into a Mercedes S-Class or a Jaguar XJ. It was popular back in the 80's apparently.

Take a look here or Google "Crash test Audi Q7 vs Fiat 500 video".
    The Fiat 500 has a 5 star rating, while the Q7 has a 4 star rating, but I can tell you which car I'd rather be in...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

One more reason not to like the Audi Q7.....apart from the fact that it is plain ugly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

What is it with people that they think because a smart is small your gonna die if a fly hits the screen ?

In Europe I see smart cars hurtling down the motorway at all sorts of speeds.

Irish people have a real issue with size !

Anyway - spec up a diesel Fiat 500 - it would have luxury and a shed load of style and you'd not get people shouting wan*er at you like you would when you got out of a Maybach

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

eoin_s wrote: »
    I think it's a myth that older, bigger cars are safer - I think they had an old Volvo tank against a smaller modern car, and the Volvo came out worst.

unfortunately you are right.. it was a Volvo 945 v. Renault Modus - and the Renault destroyed the Volvo - cutting through it like a rock through paper - indeed using the Volvo as a deformable structure.

I've studied that crash and several others of the 940 including a fatal collision. It's the A-Pillars that are a big problem. Look on old cars - you'll see right angles and straight lines from windscreen to roof - new cars have rounded and strengthened A-Pillars designed to load up and dissipate the energy - and ultimately withstand the impact and keeping the occupants safe. The A-Pillars on the old car, including the 940, will 'snap' - with all integrity to the safety-cell lost.

I've always been a fan of the Smart car. They sell well in Europe I believe - but maybe they are a bit ahead of their time. Always see them flying along the autostrada..

For reasons already suggested, weight etc., think it should remain light. I would consider the Smart to be a classless car that all can/should drive. I believe they are quite safe also, but reckon the A-Class' elk test failing around the same time as its launch did the small, and high micro-car no favours..

Personally I would never sit on a scooter - inherently unstable imo. I'd take a Smart everytime...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Take a look here or Google "Crash test Audi Q7 vs Fiat 500 video".
    The Fiat 500 has a 5 star rating, while the Q7 has a 4 star rating, but I can tell you which car I'd rather be in...

Good post AudiChris, but would you not agree that the safety of a small car has come a long way? If that was a Fiat 127 vs. Range Rover back in the early 80s - could you imagine the safety cell of the Fiat remaining almost as intact back then?

When you have two modern high-scoring NCAP cars - weight, height all come back into play, thus the Q7/XC90 brigade is always going to win. But a 500 vs. a car of same height, A4 e.g, might do better. Similar - a Volvo C30 vs. Q7 would prob have similar results as the 500 vs. Q7.

But that's different from matching a small, modern 5* NCAP car vs. an old big car such as the 940 - where it's own weight actually works against it.

All in all though, I think the 500 did ok..

Cosmo K wrote: »
    One more reason not to like the Audi Q7.....apart from the fact that it is plain ugly...

You could do the same with a Grand Voyager and a MINI, a Landcruiser and a Ka or an X5 and an Aygo. The end result would be the same and how good you think they look wouldn't really affect the outcome much :rolleyes:.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    What is it with people that they think because a smart is small your gonna die if a fly hits the screen ?
    superjosh9 wrote: »
    would you not agree that the safety of a small car has come a long way? If that was a Fiat 127 vs. Range Rover back in the early 80s - could you imagine the safety cell of the Fiat remaining almost as intact back then?

All in all though, I think the 500 did ok..

I'd have to agree, I feel perfectly safe in a smaller car.

In commuting style traffic like Peasant's talking about, you're not going to get in a big shunt anyway, and when flying down the motorway if you get it properly wrong you're probably going to die whether you're in the 500 or the Q7 - they'll both roll.
    It's really only backroads driving that I'd be happier in a car with more mass (although not an SUV, they're no fun on back roads :)). The question of car-on-car like in the video probably only really applies then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I still don't really see what you would get from a really small commuter car with all the bells and whistles that you don't currently get from of a modern super-mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

superjosh9 wrote: »
    unfortunately you are right.. it was a Volvo 945 v. Renault Modus - and the Renault destroyed the Volvo - cutting through it like a rock through paper - indeed using the Volvo as a deformable structure.

Volvo 940 estate. And I have one :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWh1sG15zRc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

It's really only backroads driving that I'd be happier in a car with more mass (although not an SUV, they're no fun on back roads :)).

Well - not being of the mind that I am always expecting to die, I would say its on the back roads you'd enjoy the car with less physical mass the most. Thats exactly why you wouldn't enjoy the SUV (Plus you'll leave a bigger whole in the hedge :D ). But your point is not lost on me.

I might be about to get a big slating for this but....

People here focus too much on crashing and rely too much on the cars ability to withstand the impact imo.

Alot of the accidents and dickheaded attitude here is caused by people feeling overly secure in their car!

If we all drove cars that insulated us less from the outside world - maybe we would practice better driving!

Advertisement