Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If there was a Maybach Smart car, would you buy it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If we all drove cars that insulated us less from the outside world - maybe we would practice better driving!

Replace the steeringwheel airbag with a 6" spike and you'll soon start to see people driving more carefully... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

AudiChris wrote: »
    Replace the steeringwheel airbag with a 6" spike and you'll soon start to see people driving more carefully... :D

you must know my dad - he says this every day religiously

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Cionád wrote: »
    Volvo 940 estate. And I have one :([URL="http://"][/URL]

So do I :)

Looks like up to a certain speed it's fine. But in the higher NCAP speeds it doesn't fair so well.

I've taken mine apart a few times - had the dash out yesterday! It's a well made car - unfortunately the safety game has moved on since this thing ruled. Though mine does have side air-bags! I was surprised to find!

Having said that, in the first case - when you drive a 940 - it's a big car and you are visible to others - which might stop some collisions in the first case.

I drive a little S40 too, and the difference in how you get treated between a 940 Estate (a shining example) and the S40 by other road users is huge. You pull out in a 940 - they stop. Do that in an S40 it's beeps and close calls.

not that you should pull out or anything.

But yeh, safety wise - at this stage the 940s is more ehh, psychological than theoretical..! beware :mad:

you must know my dad - he says this every day religiously

lol, I must know both of you also cus I know a few that use that saying too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Having said that, in the first case - when you drive a 940 - it's a big car and you are visible to others - which might stop some collisions in the first case.
    Come on, do you really think there's any practical situation where a driver won't see a ton of metal hurtling towards them at 40mph but they would see a ton and a half of metal hutling towards them at 40mph? Although I suppose you've already answered my question with your point about the safety being psychological. On top of this, 940s are incredibly low for their length, and when it's hurtling towards you, it's generally facing you... they have a relatively small frontal area. Besides, colour is a far more significant eyecatcher than an extra metre of boot space. And most old volvos I've seen are dark green or dark blue, which is not good visibility wise, though there are significant numbers of silver estates.

Finally, as RobAMerc alluded to, any remote possibility of visibility due to size making you safer will be completely overwhelmed by the car's lack of handling. Not only due to its excessive weight, but also due to modern cars having much improved handling due to newer suspension technologies, stiffer frames, etc. Throw in on top of that the addition of newer active safety features such as ABS, traction control and stability control, and it's a total walkover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't need a Mayback Smart Car - I drive a regular one.

I laugh every time that I:

1. Fill up with fuel
    2. Tax it
    3. Nip through a gap you lot dragging those empty rear seats around can't fit through.
    4. Park in the 'impossible' space beyween two space hogging SUVs

And yes, 120 kmph+ quite nicely thanks...

Perfect car.

Balfa wrote: »
    Come on, do you really think there's any practical situation where a driver won't see a ton of metal hurtling towards walkover...

I was talking about low speed junctions etc. Slab-sided 940 estates are pretty visible. Anyway, it's an observation.. but yeh, I'd say it's practical.

All said and done with handling and aids, driver is the most important factor in avoiding collisions...

btw-How come, no matter what I say, on no matter what thread, I seem to get picked up on everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

btw-How come, no matter what I say, on no matter what thread, I seem to get picked up on everything?
    Heheh, sorry. Maybe you have different world views.

yep - sure each to his own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

What about the smart for two brabus? That has a lot of extras including leather heated seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

So do I :)

I read somehwere years ago that a study showed motorists could spot a cop motorbike faster than they would notice a 40 tonne truck,

I imagine this wasn't done in Ireland however as motorists here wouldn't spot either and just pull out :)

I read somehwere years ago that a study showed motorists could spot a cop motorbike faster than they would notice a 40 tonne truck,

I imagine this wasn't done in Ireland however as motorists here wouldn't spot either and just pull out :)

damn Volvo drivers :pac:............!

ps. If the Smart had been priced cheaper - would see more about.

btw - whats the gearbox in the smart? Does it have a fully auto mode?

whats the gearbox in the smart? Does it have a fully auto mode?

Auto is an option.

Standard is a semi-auto (no clutch) but if you redline it it shifts up automatically, also drops down under braking. Auto to first when you stop. It also holds the brakes automatically for a sec until you hit the gas (hill start assist)

Don't buy an auto - the semi is a much more fun gearbox.

MadsL wrote: »
    Auto is an option.

Standard is a semi-auto (no clutch) but if you redline it it shifts up automatically, also drops down under braking. Auto to first when you stop. It also holds the brakes automatically for a sec until you hit the gas (hill start assist)

Don't buy an auto - the semi is a much more fun gearbox.

hmm I read about that - so they offer the semi-auto, which has the ability to auto-shift, but not the ability to drive in a full-auto mode? Interesting... Yeh, I would like to try one sometime. Always liked the roadster-coupe thing whatever its called also. I fear getting run over by a Range Rover - at least the 4/2 has height..!

Yeh, I would like to try one sometime.

Don't be put off the first time you try one, a test-drive is a waste of time, best way to get the feel (and love) of a Smart is to rent one for a few days. They take a bit of getting used to, and you have to drive a good bit more agressively to get the most out of the 700cc until the turbo catches up. Then you can have great fun with them - I absolutely thrash mine and still get about 45-50 mpg. Sensible acceleration will get you 60mpg.

A couple of summers ago in Italy I was lucky enough to rent one of these...if I had a) the money (only 2000 built) and b) lived somewhere sunnier :D I'd love one.

3738-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

there's a new Brabus version I saw it at the British Motorshow yesterday

Advertisement