Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which part of the book do you think will be left out??

Options
  • 24-07-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Just reading the HBP again and I wondering what parts, in your opinion will be left out of the film?

They left out so much in the Order of the Phoenix some of which is important in the next two books, for example, the locket that couldn't be opened which turns out to be a Horcrux. I wonder how they will work that back into the story. Apparently they wanted to leave Kreacher out too but JKR insisted that is character is very relevent to the final book.

Everything seems so important to the story that I cannot see where they can leave anything out but I'm sure this film will follow suit.

What part do you think they can do without? And what part has been left out of previous film that you deemed important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

That has always annoyed me about the films, how much they leave out. Which is why I'm not going to re read the book before the film comes out, so I can enjoy it as a film, and not sit there mentaly critisizing the mistakes and "film changes" as I did last time. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't know, I thought maybe they'll drop the whole Quidditch section with Harry as the captain. Possibly ditch Ron and Lavender, just have Ron and Hermione sharing a few 'moments', maybe also they'll drop the Slug Club or significantly reduce Slughorn's role within the story.

I can see why JK Rowling insisted they leave in Kreacher - I mean, he is kinda important in the last book! How would they explain about the Horcrux without him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Fishie wrote: »
    I don't know, I thought maybe they'll drop the whole Quidditch section with Harry as the captain. Possibly ditch Ron and Lavender, just have Ron and Hermione sharing a few 'moments', maybe also they'll drop the Slug Club or significantly reduce Slughorn's role within the story.

I know that the Quidditch is a big part of this film from the new movie clips and they have a new actress playing Lavender according to IMDB so I dont think that they'll ditch that story line but I think you maybe right about Slughorn, I know the character will still be in the movie but I do think they'll reduce the role. We'll have to wait until July to see now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Hmmm I really thought they'd ditch the Quidditch as it didn't figure at all in OOTP...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

well i guess the start of it when Dumbledore comes to privett drive and explains why he is taking harry or when Harry wont spend That much time with Horace Slughorn...
    The questions at the doors will probably be left out, you know
    Mr.Weasly: what is my pet name for you?
    Mrs. weasly: Mollywobbles.
    that'll go, short cuts go a longs way..
    ok Fluer isn't in it, so thats out, the whole Weasly house scene might be cut..
    OWL results, I hope they keep them in..
    The Train scene with Draco breaking Harry's Nose, maybe you never know...
    Choosing classes is a Must, because that is how Harry gets the Princes's book.
    Felix is a must,
    i'll think of More later i guess...
    hmmmm, fancy a quiz anyone??

Fleur isn't in it? I presume she'll be in the next film then, since the wedding is quite important to the plot?

After reading the test review I see that they left out the Dursley's and just have Dumbledore coming to collect Harry.

Fleur is not in it but we knew that anyway.

Not all the pensieve scenes are in it. There are only 2 of them. We dont get to see the Gaunt's unfortunately. How are they going to fit in the ring Horcrux I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

If Fleur isn't in it, they could have Ron say, "My bro's getting married."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If the information in the above posts are true then I will be seriously disappointed. It's not as if they haven't made long Harry Potter movies before; look at Prison of Azkeban.

With the last movie I really hoped it was just a once off that they'd cut so many corners, I don't think I can stand another cut to pieces movie.

• Advertisement

Well the good thing about the test screening review is that its not the final cut. They do this in order to improve the final film so the could have edited scenes out and decided to put them back in. I really wanted to see the Gaunts!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If the information in the above posts are true then I will be seriously disappointed. It's not as if they haven't made long Harry Potter movies before; look at Prison of Azkeban.

With the last movie I really hoped it was just a once off that they'd cut so many corners, I don't think I can stand another cut to pieces movie.

I don’t think that the Gaunts are really important to main story, in a film way, you can just have Voldermort say the ring was grandfathers, all we need to be told is he is a half-blood.

Also this adaption of a book not the book word for word , they cut heaps out ofter movie adaptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mach1982 wrote: »
    I don’t think that the Gaunts are really important to main story, in a film way, you can just have Voldermort say the ring was grandfathers, all we need to be told is he is a half-blood.

Also this adaption of a book not the book word for word , they cut heaps out ofter movie adaptions.

I know large portions of a book are taken out of a move version of same, but when said portions are actually intrinsic elements of the story is when I have an objection.

While in book the Riddle back-story is very important, as it give us an insight how and why Tom Riddle became Lord Voldermort ,also why he chooses Harry not Neville . I don think it so important in the film, as the haven’t mention a thing about Neville being candidate for the “Chosen One”, and we can be given the reason he became Lord Voldermort by different people like Dumbledore .

You could make a whole movie out of the Voltermort back-story, and his rise to power the first time . Tom Riddle : The Rise of the Dark Lord(a bit like Star Wars I, and Hannibal Rising )

yeah the whole riddle -> Voldamort thing is propperly going to be messed up..

its typical with the movie scene, i'm glad that the last movie is going to split into two parts there going to get most of the things that need to be said into the first part ie, Grimwald place and the wedding whereas we will finally meet the "whole" Weasley Family...

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018462.html

So they are leaving out the battle at the end of HBP in fear of repetition as there is a battle of hogwarts in the final book.

Also, Dumbledore funeral is alot smaller than the book.

does anyone think that the Kiss between Harry and Ginny will happen in the HBP?
    i'd like to see it, cause i dont think Bonnie Write is that attractive...

Still like to see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So the whole fight in Hogwarts is cut, they have for some reason added in a fight at the Burrow? wtf is the point of that? After recently seeing the awfulness that is the goblet of fire again, im not sure id be able to sit through another destruction of the books. And seriously wtf is up with Richard Harris? Has he ever even read the books?

VinLieger wrote: »
    And seriously wtf is up with Richard Harris? Has he ever even read the books?

It's Michael Gambon playing Dumbledore now, and he admits that he has not read the books, someone posted up a link to an interview with him a while back. Richard Harris played Dumbledore in the Philosopher's Stone (and possibly Chamber of Secrets?), but died in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement

Just remembered that they also left out the fragment of mirror that Sirius give to Harry in OFTP, its kinda important in the last book seeing it is how Dobby finds them.

They leave out way too much from the books that I just cannot see a way for them to introduce them in later film.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

When I read the books it Richard Harris version i see not Gamboms .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gambon seems to be playing him as a proper principle of a school, he doesnt get across any of dumbledores kindness or intelligence. I dont understand how rowling allowed him to play dumbledore if hes never read the books

Advertisement