Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAYS CHEAPEST PETROL THREAD!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

name and shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Kess73 wrote: »
    I still think it would be a great idea for the Limerick Post or the Limerick Leader to have a weekly price watch section for petrol and diesel where they name the five cheapest and the five most expensive stations in Limerick each week.

Great idea. However that sounds suspiciously like independent proper journalism and putting the interests of your readers ahead of vested commercial interests. It would also mean that those journo's would have to get up off their arses and do a bit of investigating, rather than having their stories spoonfed to them. I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Celtic Tiger is obviously still around in some parts .

Roxboro Texaco is 133.9 and Roxboro Topaz ( which is just around the corner ) is 135.9 and there is no shortage of people pulling in to get their petrol from Topaz . As long as that goes on there will never be a decrease in prices .

135.9 in topaz thomondgate...seems to have gone up 1 and 2 cents over the weekend everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

It was still 131.7 in Emo on Clare St this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

. It would also mean that those journo's would have to get up off their arses and do a bit of investigating, rather than having their stories spoonfed to them. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thats a little bit extreme.

Thats a little bit extreme.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Topez on Tipperary Road - 135.9. Seen a sap filling up there yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

It was 131.9 at Singland Motors this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Texaco Roxboro is no longer cheapest for diesel in Limerick. 124.9

Chawkes in castletroy are 123.9

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Texaco Roxboro is no longer cheapest for diesel in Limerick. 124.9

Chawkes in castletroy are 123.9

Emo on Clare Street is 121.7 for diesel afaik.

Just passed Emo on Clare Street. 133.7 on unleaded and 123.9 on diesel. It has lost its competitive advantage.

Topaz in Dooradoyle beside the regional is continuing with 137.9 today......May I be bold to suggest that in a way petrol stations are shops, selling rolls, newspapers etc...so why not just keep the price of petrol low, bring more people in to their shop and make more money. Trying to squeeze an extra euro or 2 out of people at the pumps will IMO affect the sales of the rest of the shop. Will they ever Learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Topaz in Dooradoyle beside the regional is continuing with 137.9 today......May I be bold to suggest that in a way petrol stations are shops, selling rolls, newspapers etc...so why not just keep the price of petrol low, bring more people in to their shop and make more money. Trying to squeeze an extra euro or 2 out of people at the pumps will IMO affect the sales of the rest of the shop. Will they ever Learn?

They have no need to learn for as long as people keep going there for fuel regardless of price.

That's my point really if people keep going there JUST for fuel..the rest of the shop loses out. I know I know they end up picking up a mars bar etc newspaper n stuff....but if they were a little bit cheaper those buying would have more money in their pockets and probably would spend it in the shop.

Just to update this thread.

The Maxol by the UL roundabout is 129.9 for unleaded, and 120.9 for Diesel. Plus if you shopped at Superquin you will have the voucher for a further 5c off per litre.

The station across the road is also 129.9/120.9. Funny how a lot of the usual suspects for high prices are still well over the 130 per litre mark.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Maxol by the UL roundabout is 129.9 for unleaded, and 120.9 for Diesel. Plus if you shopped at Superquin you will have the voucher for a further 5c off per litre.

The station across the road is also 129.9/120.9. Funny how a lot of the usual suspects for high prices are still well over the 130 per litre mark.:rolleyes:

Noticed this today, was just going to post it too. Must drop over tomorrow for some diesel

Chawks on the Dublin Road is also 129.9 for petrol and 120.9 for diesel.

And just the highlight the same stations that go up at pretty m uch the same time and stay high at the same time.

This morning I was on the dock road and also by the Regional Hospital

Topaz by the Regional Hospital 137.9 Unleaded

Maxol by the Regional Hospital 135.9 unleaded

Topaz (Formally Statoil station) Dock Road 135.9 Unleaded

Topaz (Formally Shell Station) Dock Road 135.9 Unleaded.

All the above had a very high diesel price as well.

So the regular four in the one area manage to stay high despite many of the other stations around Limerick city dropping to the 129.9 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Texaco In Roxboro 133.9 ... high given the other prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Still way too expensive,knock off another 20 cent perhaps and ill be happy.
    At least that Maxol stocks E5 which has a higher average octane rating :D

jonski wrote: »
    Texaco In Roxboro 133.9 ... high given the other prices

Yeah am surprised that they have not dropped yet, as they are normally one of the cheaper stations in town.

Mind you, for as long as their prices are higher I will be continuing my usual habit of giving my pertrol money to the cheaper stations, and continuing not to spend any money in the shops of the dearer stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I know it's not in the city, but Discount Fuels near Newcastle West

Petrol 128.8
    Diesel 119.8

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Topaz
    Ennis Rd, Ferndale, Limerick, Limerick
    133.9c 26th May
    124.9c 26th May
    Texaco
    Dublin Rd, Kilmurry Roundabout, Castletroy, Limerick
    129.9c 28th May
    120.9c 28th May

Topaz
    Sexton St. North, Limerick, Limerick, Limerick
    133.9c 28th May
    123.9c 28th May

Apple Green
    Athlunkard Road, Corbally, Limerick, Limerick
    131.8c 25th May
    121.8c 25th May

Topaz
    Corbally Road, Corbally, Limerick, Limerick
    131.8c 25th May Update
    121.8c 25th May Update

Topaz
    Ennis Rd, Caherdavin, Limerick, Limerick
    134.9c 28th May
    124.9c 28th May

Emo Oil
    Lock Quay, Limerick, Limerick, Limerick
    129.7c 28th May
    122.9c 28th May

MTS Tyres
    Dublin Rd, Singland, Limerick, Limerick
    133.9c 28th May Update
    123.9c 28th May Update

Maxol
    Dublin Rd, Garryowen, Limerick, Limerick
    133.9c 28th May
    125.9c 28th May

Texaco
    Cork Road, Raheen, Limerick, Limerick
    132.9c 4th Apr Update
    121.9c 30th Mar Update

This is from my watchlist on pumps.ie. Most are fairly recent. Petrol First, Diesel second

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Apple in Corbally is now 128.9 for petrol, 123.9 for diesel.

I was out in Shannon working last night and seen the petrol in Topaz out there is 135.9, how the fúck do they get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Melion wrote: »
    Apple in Corbally is now 128.9 for petrol, 123.9 for diesel.

I was out in Shannon working last night and seen the petrol in Topaz out there is 135.9, how the fúck do they get away with it?

€126.9 in Centra Newport(Non Branded) €127.9 in Esso Newport as of this morning. Aware its not Limerick but some boardsies live out this way.

In a way they do get away with it, and in another way they don't, considering this thread has probably pulled a couple of hundred quid away from the cartel (weekly) Long live this thread and may people use it to shop around :) Cos they aren't getting my money.

I have to say that the lack of interest in it from any of the three local newspapers of from Limerick Live 95FM is damning.

It would not take much time and effort for them to once a week do a list of the five of the cheapest and five of the most expensive stations, and the exposure might encourage some of the more expensive stations to be more competitive. It would also highlight the stations that are constantly selling at a higher price.

The cheaper stations will make back what they cut off the price of a litre through sheer volume, and also I think it would be safe to assume that those stations will get increased instore sales due to extra footfall.

Take the cheapest price of unleaded in Newport. If a city or suburb station rolled out that 126.9 a litre price, once word got out their forecourt would have cars lining up. The volume sales in that station would increase greatly, meaning the station could order in greater volume and get a better price on the fuel it buys from the supplier. Plenty of the customers on the forecourt would buy their papers/ciggies/sweets/milk etc whilst there, so the items in the shop with higher margins than the fuel would be moving.

Agree 100% there with you Kess, A weekly article on The limerick post, maybe a consumer page similar to the way they have the business pages. It's not as if petrol stations are advertising in them. So there isn't any commercial interest really for them. Bargain alerts, awards to ethical businesses who are keeping prices normal, so there is free advertising for certain petrol shops. But maybe thats why they don't do it. Naming a business on radio or newspaper without advertising fees, would it be too much for them to think of the consumer instead of the business man for something like this?

• Advertisement

Agree 100% there with you Kess, A weekly article on The limerick post, maybe a consumer page similar to the way they have the business pages. It's not as if petrol stations are advertising in them. So there isn't any commercial interest really for them. Bargain alerts, awards to ethical businesses who are keeping prices normal, so there is free advertising for certain petrol shops. But maybe thats why they don't do it. Naming a business on radio or newspaper without advertising fees, would it be too much for them to think of the consumer instead of the business man for something like this?

Well another way to look at it, from the pov of the radio station, is that if it became popular it could lead to people tuning in each week on that day to hear it, which could lead to extra listeners who become regular listeners, which in turn would make their advertising time more attractive to potential customers based on increased listenership.

Same arguement would hold up for whichever paper ran with the idea weekly. People would start looking out for that page, and if it saw increased business at service stations, then the paper would know that the page has gotten a solid number of people looking out for it, meaning their other advertising space in the paper has that many extra pairs of eyes on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement