Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car shaking - BMW

Options
  • 24-07-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Have a 2000 BMW which usually runs nicely, although theres always a slight tapping sound off it even when turned off, however heres the problemo.
    Sometimes I'll start her up and it'll sound like an old volkswagen, and you can feel it shake when you accellerate, aswell as there being a complete lack of power. Then hey presto you turn the engine off and start again and its perfect. Anyone have this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

curadh wrote: »
    Have a 2000 BMW which usually runs nicely, although theres always a slight tapping sound off it even when turned off, however heres the problemo.
    Sometimes I'll start her up and it'll sound like an old volkswagen, and you can feel it shake when you accellerate, aswell as there being a complete lack of power. Then hey presto you turn the engine off and start again and its perfect. Anyone have this before?

Misfiring? could be coils are loose or beginning to fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

yes sounds like a misfire.. Can be caused by multiple things.
    Check spark plugs,spark plug leads,air intake,any ancillary hoses around the engine. If its nothing obvious then it will need to be hooked up to diagnostics. This will narrow the search for the faulty component down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Have the same issue now and again, though only when I leave the car off for 2-3 days and when its left in a garage / underground car park. Its a strange one.. nothing never came up on diagnostics. Several others have it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Coil packs were always an issue on those,Might not always throw up a fault code either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

CATALYTIC CONVERTER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Ive whacked it a few times off some bad ramps, so maybe the catalytic converter? I dunno, I'll check the spark plugs and that I suppose, havent a clue what the 'coils' are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive whacked it a few times off some bad ramps, so maybe the catalytic converter? I dunno, I'll check the spark plugs and that I suppose, havent a clue what the 'coils' are.

The coil packs are what clip onto the Spark plugs. They are a pack that inserts over the plug.

jjrcoilssr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Definitely not firing on all cylinders. Classic symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

This is nuts, how can 5+ posters on boards have the exact same problem with similar year bmw's (all e39's I think) so it is obvoiusly a widespread problem but no one knows what the problem is? I cant see how it could be a mechanical problem as it doesn't fix itself as the car warms, its only fixed by turning the engine off completely and starting it up again, then the engine is perfect. It must be a sensor or something...

Also OP your car still taps when turned off?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mickk wrote: »
    Also OP your car still taps when turned off?!
    I suspect that's heatshields on the exhaust cooling down that he's talking about. I think every car I've had did it. Certainly the current one does.

Coil packs are easily tested by pulling slightly off the plug when the engine's running. The arcing between coil and plug can be heard. Tho that may not be the reason it's not firing on all cyls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Its definitely a misfire!! The ecu recognises this and shuts of the corresponding injector so that when you restart the engine its ok again. Probably coil problem
    Very common!

Advertisement