Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time in a dogs life, and in yours

Options
  • 24-07-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Our eldest dog cailín, she's just going on 13. In the passed few weeks we've seen a huge change in her. Basically old age is taking over and I doubt she is going to last very long.

The mother is bringing her to the vet this morning. I've asked them not to let me know until I go home from work whether she is ok or not. Obviously I'm fearing the worst that our favourite mut will no longer be around.

Is there any advice out there on how to cope or is, as they say, time a healer?

Also our youngest pup is most likely going to be very lonely without her buddy to keep her company. Anything we can do to ease this transition for her?

Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

It might be worth your while to get another dog! It will help you get over your (hopefully not)departed dog, and will give your pup someone to hang out with. Maybe the chance to start teaching another dog the ways of life will be the best tribute you can give. At 13, I'd say your dog is ripe into old age, and like humans, they eventually pass to another place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I would love to get another dog, but I am hopefully jumping the gun with cailín. Our first ever dog and she's been such a great addition to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

Let us know...

Hopefully you're jumping the gun a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say wait til the vet gives an opinion before having her funeral planned! Hopefully she might just have some arthritis or something that may be making her feel miserable.

and I agree with getting another dog, I've heard before that getting a pup can sometimes give an older dog a new lease of life. :)

We got a new pup last year (i was away, my replacement most likely)

Anywho she came back from the vets 20 mins ago. She has a slipped disc in her spine according to x-rays. The pup is leaving her alone and thankfully I was jumping the gun.
    Whole family was in ribbons this morning worrying about her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

That's great news :) (well, better than the alternative!) How will they fix the slipped disc? never heard of that in a dog before, supposed to be painful when i know of people who have had them so no wonder she wasn't looking too good.

6 weeks of complete rest and no rough housing with the puppy. She is on anti inflammatories, hopefully it will just slide back in...if thats possible I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

that's good..my dog is 13 and no problems yet..still well able to run around, just a bit grey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Glad to hear she's ok!

Every time our Westie went to the vets from the age of about 12 on we were convinced he wouldn't be coming back... he was 17 when he eventually passed!

Advertisement