Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Economics - subject choices?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

ALright all, i know theres a new system for pickin economics subjects this year, for both single major and joint major... But has any past students got any subject choice advice, ie which ones to avoid?

we have to do advanced micro/macro obv, and econometrics I, and a project... that means we're not doing econometrics II nor advanced quants, are these worth looking into? And any other ones that should be easy enough to get a A/B in??

As long as its not like Game Theory, hated that subject... total bull****

Thanks for any help given

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

There was a thread about this last year, it might be worth looking at - here. I would still choose advanced quants and Econometrics II if I were you. The more math/stat based the module the better. It looks better on a transcript for jobs and for post grad study. Be aware that advanced micro contains game theory, it's a large part of micro theory in general.

My personal choice would be:
    Micro, Quants, Econometrics I, Financial Econ, International trade.

Macro, Project, Econometrics II, Monetary theory (because I secretly stalk Prof. Whelan), and the last one is up to you. Those would be my choices, but I like maths/stats. I've heard good things about health economics too.

There's a new module this year by Liam Delaney. It could be interesting. It deals with his and other people's research at Geary.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Give a list of your choices.

If you didn't like game theory you mightn't like quants, but it is easy enough to do well in due to jb's marking schemes.

In general the maths ones are easier to get higher grades if you can handle them, some people just don't mix with the maths.

What subjects did you do best in last year? That might give an idea of what would suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Sarah Parlane's classes were great - Industrial and International Trade economics. Monetary is indeed well worth it. I really hated both Econometrics modules but they were compulsary for me so no choice. Finance is tough (4 people I know got E's and we're all 2.1/1.1 students) so do the work if you do it. Human Behaviour was interesting and not too challenging - many connections to 2nd year Labour economics. Quants is tough (Jim's notes are rather hard to keep up with) but as UCD Econ said it's better to have mathsy modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

When I did my final year, it was Financial Economics and Econometrics II that took up the most time. Financial did have a fairly high failure rate, with some spectacular fails amongst them, but if you do it it could be useful on the job hunt later on.

Econometrics I is becoming a bit of a farce, Peter Brady's notes are everywhere, and it's predictable. Econometrics II is something you have to get on top on, given that there's so much more in the course itself.

Quants, all depends on who's teaching it next year. Most likely it won't be Markusen, it'll be Tzzie Braaaaaaacianno. That's bad, but on the plus side - the course is straightforward enough for those with a bit of maths nous.

The thing with Economics in UCD, you can make a real difference to your final result if you play the module lottery the right way. Some modules really are easier than others, and some (Irish and European Economy) have big overlaps which you can exploit. The biggest tip is never underestimate the core modules - Macro and Micro, which some Mode I-ers occassionally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I dunno about what the others are saying, but I found Econometrics II pretty easy and didn't take up much time. There was hardly anyone in the class when I did it, most people were from my course (Economics and Finance). There was a Stata class and a few easy tests where he just gave us the same as the sample one, then the exam which was very predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

I always went for classes that Aisling Feehan Reynolds was teaching and always ended up with an A/B. Very good teacher

I always went for classes that Aisling Feehan Reynolds was teaching and always ended up with an A/B. Very good teacher

:eek: she'd be the other end of my list!

Tzzie Braaaaaaacianno.

always reminded me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi49wGwnagw

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

gerry87 wrote: »

Yeah, we were always doing that in class :D it's awfully hard to understand her, and her class (Intermediate Quant Econ) was terribly structured.. I asked I don't know how many times for her to make the slides more visible. That combined with having to spend the entire class taking down practically invisible notes really pissed me off. Admittedly, I was maybe 5 rows from the back, but does anyone EXPECT students to sit up the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 delaneld

Sorry - someone sent a link to this thread

Details of my behavioural econ course have not showed up on the official site for technical reasons which will be remedied soon. Full details on the link below

http://www.ucd.ie/economics/staff/ldelaney/behavioral.pdf

Best

Liam Delaney

• Advertisement
Advertisement