Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs Service HA!

• 24-07-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭

Just received an email from the "Customs Service" heres how it reads...

"Greetings,

We have received a parcel for you, sent from France on July 9. Please fill out the customs declaration attached to this message and send it to us by mail or fax. The address and the fax number are at the bottom of the declaration form.

Kind regards,
    Rusty Mckinnon
    Your Customs Service"

Email address from - "Customs Service" <tennis.lacoquille@wanadoo.fr
    CC - mahame_massawe@yahoo.co.uk

With a lovely attachement :) "Tax_Invoice.zip (21KB)"

I mean come on, does this not have nigerian origins written all over it :rolleyes:. Seems like they are trying a new angle. Opened up the attachment and it looks like an application so i left it as is :eek:. Didnt want to risk it. Deleted it straight away.

Anyone else got this one yet? Its new to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Heard about that one a few days ago, theres supposed to be a virus in the zip file, best run a scan now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Scanning now :D

Gotta give them credit for being inventive its going to catch quite a few people, although it would have worked better if it was sent around christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Yeah, this is definitely going to catch out a lot of people. However, if the attachment does indeed contain an executable file, I wouldn't suspect a fresh Nigerian scam technique. They don't benefit from planting viruses...

It did indeed look like an executable file,but im not willing to open the app. Probably contains a form for your "bank details" and what not in order to obtain your goods from customs:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Fill it out and see what happens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

FunkZ wrote: »
    Fill it out and see what happens ;)
    Nah, leave the email on your providers server (i.e. in the inbox) and head out to a net café, check it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 purplesheep

I got the same email today but it was signed off :

Benjamin Crane
    Your Customs Service

seriously who would believe someone from a company called your parcel service-they could have at least come up with a realistic name!

Strangely enough I also got 2 other emails today from UPS (well someone pretending to be UPS) :

Unfortunately we were not able to deliver postal package you sent on July the 1st in time
    because the recipients address is not correct.
    Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office

Your UPS

And unfortunately since I was living in the US recently and had ordered quite a few things from the net that were delivered by UPS I clicked on the attachment. Thankfully it said a virus was detected and would not be downloaded. Of course I'm going to do a virus scan now but it was awful stupid of me since I have gotten emails from UPS before and all the information is in the body of the email-never in attachments. I suppose they are preying on people like me who have a lapse of judgment every once and a while!

What kind of people get their kicks from trying to give a virus to random people they have absolutely no grudge against!

grrrrr

Mirror wrote: »
    Nah, leave the email on your providers server (i.e. in the inbox) and head out to a net café, check it out there.

Mess with someone else's hardware :) i like it!

Might pop round to my mates tonight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

lmao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adamextreme

LMAO wow they are really on this one. So yesterday we got a mail from UPS saying our delivery was lost and to download the .zip file.

My boss opened it and sent it to another person in our office who opened it.

Now i got 2 infected PC's I log in this morning and get the Customs Email in my inbox! LMAO

These guys are making money off ads that popup and say your infected with this and you need to purchase this.

I thinks its called the braviax virus, or in my case i call it buritos cause it installs buritos.exe.

ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT! ONE OF MY PCS CANT EVEN GET PASSED THE WINDOWS WELCOME LOGIN SCREEN AT THIS POINT.

DO NOT OPEN THIS FILE STATING TO COME FROM "US CUSTOMS"
    CHECK THE EMAIL ADDRESS ITS RANDOM - US CUSTOMS VIRUS

US CUSTOMS EMAIL

Hey cool thats 2 posters whos first post has been in this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I

What kind of people get their kicks from trying to give a virus to random people they have absolutely no grudge against!

grrrrr

Hehe, really wanna know the answer to this?

;)

LMAO wow they are really on this one. So yesterday we got a mail from UPS saying our delivery was lost and to download the .zip file.

My boss opened it and sent it to another person in our office who opened it.

Now i got 2 infected PC's I log in this morning and get the Customs Email in my inbox! LMAO

These guys are making money off ads that popup and say your infected with this and you need to purchase this.

I thinks its called the braviax virus, or in my case i call it buritos cause it installs buritos.exe.

ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT! ONE OF MY PCS CANT EVEN GET PASSED THE WINDOWS WELCOME LOGIN SCREEN AT THIS POINT.

DO NOT OPEN THIS FILE STATING TO COME FROM "US CUSTOMS"
    CHECK THE EMAIL ADDRESS ITS RANDOM - US CUSTOMS VIRUS

US CUSTOMS EMAIL

There ya go so! Glad i didnt touch it, did a scan soon after. All ok! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

something very similar my self
    Good day,

We have received a parcel for you, sent from France on July 9. Please fill out the customs declaration attached to this message and send it to us by mail or fax. The address and the fax number are at the bottom of the declaration form.

Kind regards,
    Your Customs Service

didn't open the zip file, as, have not ordered anything lately, not expecting anything, and dont know anyone in france who would be sending me anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Just checked my email and had the exact same mail. Here is the senders email address, is it not from Australia???

Greetings,

Kind regards,
    Willa Dunlap
    Your Customs Service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I nearly believed one of these emails once, I mean i've worked as a techie for ages advising people never to believe these sort of emails, I would have clicked it and all (was for paypal) but then I realised my account wasn't registered to that email address and that's the only thing that saved me from clicking it, felt so stupid that day. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

We have received a parcel for you, sent from France on July 9.

Sent from France eh? Probably a letter of surrender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

I just got one of those emails too, from Tory Ladner, Your Customs Service. My computer is very well protected (I hope) so extracted it and tried to open it but dear old Windows Vista couldn't manage it.
    'Windows is checking for a solution to this problem'
    I didn't use latex gloves or scan my pc so you're probably all infected now (as is yore ma)

Edit: I was expecting my mooncup in the post :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 purplesheep

Just got another spam email:

Dear Gentlemen,
    Thank you for using our new service "Buy airplane ticket Online" on our website.
    Your account has been created:

Your login: pink_piggy_ukn@yahoo.co.uk
    Your password: pass2HDH

Your credit card has been charged for $439.87.
    We would like to remind you that whenever you order tickets on our website you get a discount of 10%!
    Attached to this message is the purchase Invoice and the flight ticket.
    To use your ticket, simply print it on a color printed, and you are set to take off for the journey!

Kind regards,
    Christian Tolbert
    Midwest Airlines

I've recently bought flights online and I nearly freaked out when I saw the your credit card has been charged but then I realised that it was another bogus mail. Plus it says dear gentlemen, which I am not, collectively or otherwise......

• Advertisement
Advertisement