Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popped 100k cherry/ rate this ride

Options
  • 24-07-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Well, did my first 100k last night, 107 to be precise. Pretty sedate pace, ride time of 4:44, and average speed of 21.5. It's the first time I've done more than one or two toughish climbs on a ride- I was worried that on the latter ones I'd be fecked, but I didn't find it too bad. The bit of magic that helped tremendously was fueling up before and during the spin- blindingly obvious to most people I'm sure, but I'm still a noob :)

Last time out on a 75k spin I was much more tired afterwards- I just drank water that time and ate nothing during the ride. On this spin I had my homemade isotonic drink and fig rolls, few bananas too. I love fig rolls already, but this spin made me love them even more :D I found even at the very end I had pockets of energy that I never seem to have normally. My mate who leaves me behind on climbs was not quite so far in the distance either :)

Anyway, how would you rate this route? I'm hoping to do 200k before winter arrives, maybe for the next Boards 200. There's also a charity spin down to Wexford my mate was talking about. The Sean Kelly looks tempting too, but I'd prefer not to have to be away for the night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Well done on the cycle. How long have you been cycling?

I'm trying to build up to my 1st. 100km and I'll do it before the end of the summer. I'm only cycling a couple of months myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well done, looks a good route. Hoping to hit the 100 over the coming weeks myself. Good tip on the fig rolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That is a very impressive route for your first 100km with an absolute ton of climbing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    \How long have you been cycling?

I'm trying to build up to my 1st. 100km and I'll do it before the end of the summer. I'm only cycling a couple of months myself.

I've been commuting on and off for years, but started doing longer cycles with a few hills a few months ago, once weekly about 40-50k. The past two rides upped it to 70ish and 100 this week. The addiction is slowly but surely taking me :D

blorg wrote: »
    That is a very impressive route for your first 100km with an absolute ton of climbing in there.

Cheers, that's good to hear. I am still very slow on hills but really enjoying it, and getting a little less slow hopefully ;)

Advertisement