Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started in WoW

• 24-07-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭

Now, I have played WoW before, got one character to level 30 in fact, but I never felt I was playing it "right". I always seemed to be doing things on my own, whereas I always hear people talking about groups etc.

Well I'm going back to WoW and just needed some questions answered:

What is the "best" server to go to? I.e. the most popular one here.

Should I go PvP server? I'm not exactly sure whats involved though...

I was thinking of being a Rogue. What race best suits this class?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

In server choice I would go for a pvp one first off, reason being is you can switch from a pvp server to any of the other types but if you haven't started on a pvp server you can't switch to one later.

Rogue's are a great class, fun to play and do excellent damage. Only problem is they're quite often played so it might be hard to group sometimes. For a rogue I'd go for an undead, gnome or possibly a blood elf based on the racials.

A lot of WoW is playing on your own, especially while leveling, but if you get yourself into a friendly guild it won't seem so bad if there's some chat going on.
    If grouping is a big thing for you roll a druid / paladin, their versatility means there's usually always room for one in a group as a healer / tank / random DPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Are you gonna continue your lvl 30 character or start from scratch?

If your starting from scratch, what I would advise you to is create several characters with several different races, play each a little. You may just know from the first minute you wont like this character, some you many be hooked on instantly. Its differs for everyone.

Like I've said before, ask yourself exactly what you wanna be in the game, think of other games, or stories or what ever, and if there is something you like the sound of it, there is a warcraft equivelent.

On the topic of groups: I toltally agree with Schism.
    Chat with people, learn, make friends, that will lead to dungeons and a better understanding of the game.

Take it at your leasure and remember to enjoy the game.
    GL with the game bro... Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Well i just noticed that Anti is banned,

So I'll take his place,

You should roll a hunter, cos they are so easy! Don't roll a warrior though, cos they are really hard.

And make sure you come up with your own spec that no one else uses. There's no way the best spec for your class has already been discovered and used by millions of other players, the random one you come up with will be unique and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭VonLuck

WellyJ wrote: »
    You should roll a hunter, cos they are so easy! Don't roll a warrior though, cos they are really hard.

Was a Night Elf hunter before but got bored around the lvl 20 point, don't know why!

The lvl 30 I have is an Undead Warlock. I'd like to try a different race, but I think I've tried them all, which means I've done all the starting quests.

Still unsure about what class to play, seeing that the rogue class is very popular, it kinda put me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Give paladin a shot.

Dunno any one that hated it, and its the most versitile class IMO. If you dont like it, change your spec, and BANG! Different job all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I would level something that can DPS & Also Heal and maybe tank all in one. I wish i had :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

VonLuck wrote: »
    Now, I have played WoW before, got one character to level 30 in fact, but I never felt I was playing it "right". I always seemed to be doing things on my own, whereas I always hear people talking about groups etc.

There is now a LFG option tool in game to help you group for instances/questing etc, although its just better for you to get into an active guild. Theres alot of retards in low level guilds, but you learn alot from them game wise to help you progress and extend your knowledge. And then when your 70/80 just leave and find a better one if you dont enjoy the company.

What is the "best" server to go to? I.e. the most popular one here.
    Just join any medium/heavy populated server in the server list if your sketchy about the activity population wise. But remember your starting fresh pretty much so the game might night pick up for you till your a high level, then its easy to find groups/raids.
    Should I go PvP server? I'm not exactly sure whats involved though...

I myself prefer pvp, basically it means you can get attacked in most over level 20 zones by the opposing faction. Can get annoying if you bump into a bored high level opposing faction member who might corpse camp you and basically just piss you off. But if you go rogue it helps avoid that problem (a bit) :P

PvE is no world pvp unless you agree to fight or flag yourself open for attack. (not really sure on this never even made a pve char.

And anything with "RP-" in front of it means Role playing, again if thats what you fancy :P
    I was thinking of being a Rogue. What race best suits this class?

Rogue is a very fun class, i had a lvl 70 rogue and preffered him over my 70 priest. But thats just me, dont mind the rest of these people, go with the class you like the look of, they all have their weaknesses like the rogue.

Which race to pick doesnt really matter, all racials are very useful depending on the situation..

Dwarfs can remove bleeds which is very helpful for vanishing and cloak of shadows only removes magic effects so if you have a bleed on you your "vanish" skill is useless.

Gnomes are able to escape any snares/immobilisation spells

Humans have a spell which greatly increases your stealth detection (i went human myself and "perception" is great for getting the opener on rogue enemies)

Night elfs racials arent very useful IMO if going rogue, but if ya like the look of them go for it.

If your going horde

Blood elves are able to do an AOE energy drain silence which looks pretty useful

Undead are able to break fear/sleep spells which i wouldnt find very useful as i always killed locks with ease. But undead are cool looking and its a useful spell till you get your pvp trinket which does the same job! :P they also get canibalise which is handy for keeping your health topped up :)

Orc have 2 sweet traits for a rogue, one being "blood fury" which increases your dmage but reduces healing effects on you for the duration. And they also have a whopping 25% resistance to stun and knockout effects. which is nice as a stunned rogue is a dead rogue, and nothing more annoying then someone resisiting a 5 point kidney shot :D

Trolls have a spell which increases attack speed which would be useful for pve mostly, frankly i wouldnt roll a rogue troll at all. but if ya like how they look go for them :D

Thanks in advance.

Your welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Dps class's are pretty much every were on every server.

Try rolling a tanking class or a healer.

Recently re rolled to a Priest myself from a warrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've tried a few classes so far and have found the druid to be one of the most enjoyable... Hunters are a nice and easy class to play and level, but it gets a bit boring being mostly limited to ranged dps...
    Roll a Tauren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kaien

If your rolling a rogue then for arena's at least , Roll a Human. Perception is by far the best rogue racial in the arena scene at the moment, getting a crucial opener on an enemy druid can win you the game from the start.

If you insist on going a horde rogue, I would prefer undead as it saves you a CLoS / trinket on a priest fear every so often .

If your not sure what you wanna roll? If your going horde warrior then defo go a tauren, gives you a much bigger hit box and you can bug hit through pillars in av =P I'm not a horde so don't know whats best about the other races.

For allys tho :

Mage -> Gnome
    Rogue -> Human
    Priest -> Dwarf
    Warrior -> They're all pretty equal, for 2v2 human is ownage, but for 5v5 it doesnt matter as much, i'd be inclined to go a gnome to save your dispeller a dispel
    Druid -> Nelf duh :/
    Shaman -> Draenei :/
    Warlock -> I'd prefer being a gnome, with felhunter your stealth detection is pretty good anyway, but its up to yourself
    Paladin -> Doesn't really matter again, but having stoneform lets you remove 5stacks of wound poison a rogue may have built up.
    Hunter -> No set race again, chose based on something you'd like :> Stoneform wins for kiting rogues so I would favor Dwarves.

• Advertisement

Well I decided on being an Undead Priest. Just kinda appealed to me for some reason.

I also decided to go on the Bladefist server and discovered that it's practically empty! I'm currently level 9, and I'm in Brill and there's hardly anyone around. I do remember before being on different servers that there were at least a few people that maybe you could join up with to do some quests, but I can't find any (not that I need to :P).

Did I pick a poor server?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bladefist is pretty dead now. You should try a different server. At only lvl9, you can level up in an hour or so.

Kiith wrote: »
    Bladefist is pretty dead now. You should try a different server. At only lvl9, you can level up in an hour or so.

Well that sucks. Now I feel I've wasted my time leveling up. Might just start again.... damn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Levelling the first 10 levels is really quick. You can do it in an hour or two easily. But its definatly worth it. Theres nothing worse then playing on a crappy server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well I decided on being an Undead Priest. Just kinda appealed to me for some reason.

I also decided to go on the Bladefist server and discovered that it's practically empty! I'm currently level 9, and I'm in Brill and there's hardly anyone around. I do remember before being on different servers that there were at least a few people that maybe you could join up with to do some quests, but I can't find any (not that I need to :P).

Change server. Bladefist is crap. I have a few friends there who hate it, although I have no idea why they haven't moved :confused:

UD priest is a good choice. When you get to lvl 10, spec for shadow first. Put 5/5 points into spirit tap, as this makes grinding easier as you can fight for longer without drinking. After that, the most important (IMO) talents will be Mind Flay, Vampiric Embrace and Shadow Form.

Despite not being healing specced, healing will be fine for pre-60 instances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Blade's Edge might actually be a good server for you. It's the most recent one created (about 3 weeks ago), so should still have a high percentage of low level characters around.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Blade's Edge might actually be a good server for you. It's the most recent one created (about 3 weeks ago), so should still have a high percentage of low level characters around.

It's PVE though, I think all new players should start out on PVP and move to PVE if they dont enjoy it, because if you hit 70 on PVE and realise that you would like some world PVP, there's nothing you can do about it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

I re rolled Bloodfeather from Azjol Nerub, Fairly big low lvl pop and a healthy irish pop on ally side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

WellyJ wrote: »
    Well i just noticed that Anti is banned,

So I'll take his place,

And make sure you come up with your own spec that no one else uses. There's no way the best spec for your class has already been discovered and used by millions of other players, the random one you come up with will be unique and better.

I rofl'd :rolleyes:

Anti wrote: »
    I rofl'd :rolleyes:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Martinog

come on to draenor.

ill sort you out:rolleyes: im alliance though

msg aquittedspy if you do.

Advertisement