Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill rides approx 80K from castleknock

Options
  • 24-07-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any routes they would recommend. I am not up to 100K yet, am fit but not experienced in saddle yet so not sure I can make it accross city up to Laragh and surrounds just yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

is it Hill training that you are looking for? or you want to actually go up to Larragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

A bit of both, would like to build up my mileage from home preferably encorporating some decent hills so that I feel comfortable taking on Sallygap etc from home on spins over 100K

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cycle to Howth and do a few laps of the hills.

I've done some climbing training by going up and down the hills between Porterstown and Strawberry Beds - Tinkers Hill, Rugged Lane, Somerton Road.

I've done the Howth route by going via Tyrellstown, Hollystown, The Ward, St Margarets, back of Dublin Airport, Swords, Malahide, Portmarnock, Howth. Return via Clontarf, Clonliffe Road, North Circular Road, Navan Road.

I quite like the backroads from Hollystown to Swords. Either side of that they are annoyingly busy.

For the W200 and ROK I drove to Cycle Superstore car park (or outside the car park if it is closed) and the head along Old Bawn Road and up past Hell Fire Club on the way to Kippure and Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

A bit of both, would like to build up my mileage from home preferably encorporating some decent hills so that I feel comfortable taking on Sallygap etc from home on spins over 100K

I am in D15 too and I the 1st time I cycled with the Boards guys I ended up breaking the 100k ( 103 ) for the 1st time, i am not sure exactly what the route was, but i know we went up Sally Gap ... Maybe you should consider joining the next weekend Boards spin, there are a few of us around D15 so you wouldn't be on your own to go back home.

I hope there is a Saturday spin this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

will keep an eye to see whats happening alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Here are some ideas, from 67km up to 88km:

1 2 3 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

please note the estimate times are for driving :D

I did route 4 ish last night - however I went through Kilmalin out of Enniskerry - which is another alternative.

Left the green at 5 home in C'knock by 8 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

RobAMerc wrote: »
    please note the estimate times are for driving :D

I did route 4 ish last night - however I went through Kilmalin out of Enniskerry - which is another alternative.

Left the green at 5 home in C'knock by 8 pm
    That is not bad going. The Kilmalin road is not as nice IMHO, there are a lot more cars on it and you have that big climb out of Enniskerry. The other one is actually only a few km longer and a lot smaller although there is a bit more up and down on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Advice please from you regular climbers. Am hoping to head up Enniskerry/Sally Gap way for 1st time over the w/e. What advice would people give. Only climbs that I have done have been in Kerry. I get the impression from driving araound Wicklow that climbs are longer and tougher. What advice would ye give a newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ROK ON wrote: »
    Advice please from you regular climbers. Am hoping to head up Enniskerry/Sally Gap way for 1st time over the w/e. What advice would people give. Only climbs that I have done have been in Kerry. I get the impression from driving araound Wicklow that climbs are longer and tougher. What advice would ye give a newbie.

Come out with us on Saturday -we'll get you up the climbs! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi, I must say, if you can, go out with the boards group. The mix is good and they wont leave you stranded. The craic is good and the chat will keep you going. I began to like hills a lot more with them than when I went out on my own. The basic deal is to pace yourself, stick to your own pace and don't go off too hard (unless you know how long the hill is and that you have the energy to spare). You may get some splitting up on a hill but usually people wait and re-group at the top. It is much easier to cycle with a group than on your own. The good thing about e.g. Wicklow Gap is that you can see the finish so when you set out you can guage the effort involved. Depending on which route you use, the Sally Gap is a longer drag (and harder to judge until you are used to it). The area around Enniskerry is - at least - 'undulating' which is to say, it is pretty much either up or down - no level at all! It is also the most beautiful and rewarding area. Get out with the Boardsies and enjoy yourself!

Advertisement