Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 10mb - is there a cap?

Options
  • 24-07-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

According to their website, the usage limit for the 10mb package is : " * no cap ".

* refer to Acceptable Usage Policy for full details.

Ok, fair enough. So I check the policy - http://www.upc.ie/acceptableusagepolicy - and it says "Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie ........ If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof etc..."

But if there is no data transfer allowance for the 10mb package I am on, then how can this be enforced?

I've read on here that someone got a letter from NTL saying that they were forcing him onto a package with a 120G cap because we went over his allowance - but there is no package on their site with such a cap, so there is a hidden cap then for 10mb and 20mb?

Anyone have any info on this? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

There is no "cap".
    However if u abuse your connection,
    i.e download the entire internet :pac:
    They`ll contact you.

Dont worry about it unless your downloading 24/7 continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

downloadwww.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol
    that made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

well they are saying there is no cap.. but i'm on the 10MB line and my downloads are stopping all the time

I used to be getting full download speed about 10 days ago.. ever since then the download speed would get up to 80% the drop to 0% in about 3 seconds.. stop for about 5 seconds.. then jump back up to about 80% and keep repeating.. sometimes stopping completely.. and never restarting !!

i'm not a big downloader,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

NeVeR wrote: »
    well they are saying there is no cap.. but i'm on the 10MB line and my downloads are stopping all the time

I used to be getting full download speed about 10 days ago.. ever since then the download speed would get up to 80% the drop to 0% in about 3 seconds.. stop for about 5 seconds.. then jump back up to about 80% and keep repeating.. sometimes stopping completely.. and never restarting !!

That's not an effect of having a cap... Even if you exceeded your cap, you'd probably get some letter and not much else. When I had 6Mbps with a 40GB cap and I downloaded 145GB in one month, I got a letter with something along the lines of "stop downloading the Internet" but nothing more.

As for the "no cap" on UPC's 10 and 20Mbps products, I'm not really sure what region it may be, but when they were advertising 12Mbps awhile back, it had a stated cap of 120GB so that can be taken as a guideline I guess.

As for your downloads problem, there must be something else going on there. Are you talking about HTTP downloads/FTP or what exactly?

• Advertisement

I'm downloading from Usenext newsgroups.. When i started i was getting Max download speed.. and now it's as i said above. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

J-blk wrote: »
    That's not an effect of having a cap... Even if you exceeded your cap, you'd probably get some letter and not much else. When I had 6Mbps with a 40GB cap and I downloaded 145GB in one month, I got a letter with something along the lines of "stop downloading the Internet" but nothing more.

As for the "no cap" on UPC's 10 and 20Mbps products, I'm not really sure what region it may be, but when they were advertising 12Mbps awhile back, it had a stated cap of 120GB so that can be taken as a guideline I guess.

As for your downloads problem, there must be something else going on there. Are you talking about HTTP downloads/FTP or what exactly?

I'd say as a rough guideline since they're removing the cap, you could easily go twice that. 240gb on the 12mb service or 400gb on the 20mb service. Even then, they probably wouldnt stop you, but downloading 400gb in a month would be tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'd say as a rough guideline since they're removing the cap, you could easily go twice that. 240gb on the 12mb service or 400gb on the 20mb service. Even then, they probably wouldnt stop you, but downloading 400gb in a month would be tough going.

You may be right there. When I had a 40GB cap, the only warning ever came one I was close to exceeding my cap by almost 4 times! As long as they don't moan for up to around 200GB a month at the very max, I'll be more than happy and that's some improvement over the 40GB...

NeVeR, I don't use newsgroups so I can't really understand why your speeds have dropped. Is there another source that you could try your speeds from (like a Heanet download or a private torrent tracker - something that you know is capable of maxing out your connection) so that you could at least establish if the problem is indeed your connection overall or the newsgroups downloads specifically?

J-blk wrote: »
    NeVeR, I don't use newsgroups so I can't really understand why your speeds have dropped. Is there another source that you could try your speeds from (like a Heanet download or a private torrent tracker - something that you know is capable of maxing out your connection) so that you could at least establish if the problem is indeed your connection overall or the newsgroups downloads specifically?

nearly sure it's just the newsgroups they are stopping. But i dont know how they are doing it. I'll have to see if i can switch ports or something.

Advertisement