Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cooling system

Options
  • 24-07-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My brother's legacy is still overheating. It's a '98 2.5 with 145 on the clock and the last 50k have been hard.

It's overheating. We are trying to determine ourselves if it's salvageable or not to avoid even more mechanic's bills and he'd rather sell it as a going concern for a few quid than have it in a million pieces in a workshop somewhere and not driving at all.

It has none of the other classic headgasket signs. We've removed the stat and filled it back up with coolant- it overheated again but only after a long time at idle. I flushed the cooling system today. There was no gunge or any sign of blockage and it was pumping just fine. The stat is still not back in it but I replaced the coolant with straight water. At idle, it overheats slightly after a long time and then it cools down as the fan comes on but only very slowly.

What next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So you say it pumping and also you have removed the thermstat but no improvement so therefore water pump is good and thermostat is good we can assume.
    Let running at a standstill, the fan should cut in before its allowed to over heat so its sounds like you have a problem there. You could short the fan switch to make it run constantly while car is started and then see if you have any overheating problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does the fan come on? Have you a leak? Is there coolant/water in the oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is there a multi speed fan on it?? Maybe its not running on the lower speeds??

You'll need diagnostic equipment to read out the coolant temperature and make sure the fan kicks in when it should....

I had this problem on a MINI recently, the fan wasn't working on the lower speed (burnt out resistor), also the radiator cap was venting at a lower pressure than it should... both these faults resulted in a slight coolant loss when the car was been driven in traffic.... The MINI had been in with a mechanic who said it can't be the fan as it was working, it was working but only when the coolant got very hot....

Advertisement