Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 26th July

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Can't do this - oncall again.

Pity, haven't been back on my bike since RoK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Leggy Blonde

penexpers wrote: »
    Can't do this - oncall again.

Pity, haven't been back on my bike since RoK.

that's cause you're soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Blonde alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I would be in only it's my kids birthday part tomorrow.

I should make next weeks even if I only go as far as Enniskerry.

Has anyone signed up for the Tour of Kildare?

I'm going to do the 50km.

I'm doing the Tour of Kildare, the 100km. I would strongly recommend that everyone tries the 100km, it's pancake flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm only cycling a couple of months and hadn't done any excercise in the past 4-5 years.

The most I've done so far was 50km, I was thinking of pushing myself to do the 100km but it's only a couple of weeks away.

Here's the 50km I did while on holidays in clare. At the time I thought it was hilly until I saw the climbs you boys (and girls) are doing.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/clare/58437735

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

WOuld hope to do it, but depends on what better half says tomorrow. As a query, if I wanted to head up Enniskerry, then Sally Gap for the first time, could I then head from Sally Gap to somewhere that would bring me close to Brittas Bay/Jack Whites pub. 1st time up these hills, so I would appreciate the advice, as I dont want to up lost in the Wicklow hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ROK ON wrote: »
    WOuld hope to do it, but depends on what better half says tomorrow. As a query, if I wanted to head up Enniskerry, then Sally Gap for the first time, could I then head from Sally Gap to somewhere that would bring me close to Brittas Bay/Jack Whites pub. 1st time up these hills, so I would appreciate the advice, as I dont want to up lost in the Wicklow hills.

Yup, if you go over Sally Gap and turn Right at the crossroads, it'll bring you down onto the N81 near Brittas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    IHas anyone signed up for the Tour of Kildare?

I'm going to do the 50km.
    I'm doing the Tour of Kildare, the 100km. I would strongly recommend that everyone tries the 100km, it's pancake flat.

In anticipation of the new bike arriving this week, and in a mad bid to set myself a goal I couldn't back out of, I signed up for the Tour of Kildare (100km) earlier in the week.

If there are any newbies out there thinking of doing the same and want a lift to Naas from Dublin (D8 area preferably), I have two more spaces on the bike rack.

Driving probably seems like a wimps option, but I have no shame. When you see me in lycra, you'll know that's not an idle statement:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

I guess you can count me in, but the distances seem a bit piddly and the route is quite flat- hardly time enough to get warmed up. Will take longer getting dressed up in my lycra than I actually spend on the bike...
    Anyone up for a 200+ route?

• Advertisement

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I'm only cycling a couple of months and hadn't done any excercise in the past 4-5 years.

The most I've done so far was 50km, I was thinking of pushing myself to do the 100km but it's only a couple of weeks away.

Here's the 50km I did while on holidays in clare. At the time I thought it was hilly until I saw the climbs you boys (and girls) are doing.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/clare/58437735

That's a pretty decent ride actually. Compare the elevation on that to the elevation on the ToK and you'll see the difference.

I would say if you could do that, you'd be able for the 100km without too much bother I would think. Even if you could get up to 70km before the day you would be fine.

For reference, the longest cycle I did before the RoK was 35-40km with no hills, I jumped to 170km on the RoK without too much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

For reference, the longest cycle I did before the RoK was 35-40km with no hills, I jumped to 170km on the RoK without too much bother.

That's encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Tutschel wrote: »
    the distances seem a bit piddly and the route is quite flat- hardly time enough to get warmed up. Will take longer getting dressed up in my lycra than I actually spend on the bike...

I think Banana Trousers Man wants to try his new Extended Garmin Battery pack ...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

I think Banana Trousers Man wants to try his new Extended Garmin Battery pack ...

Caroline, thanks for the flattering compliment. :-)

Not at all :o... I am not like that, but people will see tomorrow morning if you turn up the extent of the issue ... it's quite distressing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

that's cause you're soft.

3 posts and already the trash talk
    Yup, if you go over Sally Gap and turn Right at the crossroads, it'll bring you down onto the N81 near Brittas

You're sending him to Brittas, not Brittas Bay. He'd need to go left at the Sally Gap, right at the bottom into Roundwood, then left to hit the N11, and turn off into Wicklow town and then down the coast to Brittas Bay.
    I guess you can count me in, but the distances seem a bit piddly and the route is quite flat- hardly time enough to get warmed up. Will take longer getting dressed up in my lycra than I actually spend on the bike...

You can always join us and strike out on your own after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I think that comment may need a bit of explanation for those who wheren't there last weekend!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Caroline, thanks for the flattering compliment. :-)

You do realise you were instantly nicknamed "Banana Pants" last week?

LDB wrote: »
    I think that comment may need a bit of explanation for those who wheren't there last weekend!

Too bad I don't have a photo ... :pac:
    Tutschel carried 16 Bananas in his cycling tights for the Boards 200 ...

( for those who think I am a perv ... I am not )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Anyone heading out for a short spin this evening? I have to be back in Ranelagh for about 8 so nothing serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Too bad I don't have a photo ... :pac:
    Tutschel carried 16 Bananas in his cycling tights for the Boards 200 ...

I'm actually LOLing

I dunno... seems a bit suspect... :)

I dunno... seems a bit suspect... :)

Says the one who was telling me that my saddle position was a bit too much to the right ...

Says the one who was telling me that my saddle position was a bit too much to the right ...

Well it was! I was looking out of professinalism, nothing more....

damnit, rumbled....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Here, I designed a better route for ya. It's longish, but includes the Sally Gap, so it should be OK.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/994207716

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    I might turn off and do the shorter one in that case. Want to be home by lunchtime. However, do you fancy doing that road between Bohernabreena and the Sally Gap - Kilbride Road. Apparently it's a continuation of the Bohernabreena climb. Our club Hill Climb TT went up that way and I want to try it out.
    Sure, sounds like a plan. Is that in the ones I linked to already? They were just rough suggestions, especially in the "out" side which I am not so familiar with.

@PeadarofAodh- I would be on for a quick/short one this evening but will not be hammering up any hills as I have my touring bike in work with me. Back to Ranelagh by 8 sounds good. What is the earliest you could make it to say the Gala shop on Lambs Cross (e.g. just up from where we met last night.) Reckon I could be there from 17:00-17:15 at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Raam wrote: »
    Here, I designed a better route for ya. It's longish, but includes the Sally Gap, so it should be OK.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/994207716
    Profile looks a bit flat for you Raam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i need to get back home by 2 so that route seems perfect Raam :P

blorg wrote: »
    Sure, sounds like a plan. Is that in the ones I linked to already? They were just rough suggestions, especially in the "out" side which I am not so familiar with.

No, you take a left at the top of Bohernabreena, which brings you onto the road between Sally Gap and Kilbride. You can go right from there if you want to go for a long one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

blorg wrote: »
    @PeadarofAodh- I would be on for a quick/short one this evening but will not be hammering up any hills as I have my touring bike in work with me. Back to Ranelagh by 8 sounds good. What is the earliest you could make it to say the Gala shop on Lambs Cross (e.g. just up from where we met last night.) Reckon I could be there from 17:00-17:15 at earliest.

Think I may have just reluctantly signed up with someone for Phoenix park as I didn't think there'd be any takers...I'll let you know as soon as possible if anything changes!

Advertisement