Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 26th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

Finally got my beloved bike back last night, its been on holiday in killarney since the ROK. no cycling done in 3 weeks :(

i might be in for tomorrow. im oncall for work, so if things are quiet enough ill head out allright. may have to turn back if i get a call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

sooty11 wrote: »

i might be in for tomorrow. im oncall for work, so if things are quiet enough ill head out allright. may have to turn back if i get a call though.

Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

el tonto wrote: »
    You do realise you were instantly nicknamed "Banana Pants" last week?

I've definitely heard worse - I can't but help myself and see the highly complimentary side of that nickname. My only worry is when it starts coming from all the guys...... But seriously, you can call me anything you like, just not too early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm not totally sure if I'll make it at that time, but I'll be around and about so might see ye at some stage along the way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tutschel wrote: »
    I've definitely heard worse - I can't but help myself and see the highly complimentary side of that nickname. My only worry is when it starts coming from all the guys...... But seriously, you can call me anything you like, just not too early in the morning.

It took a while for people to realise just what exactly you had down your trousers. There were a lot of puzzled glances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

Should be at harolds cross by nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

im out.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

whyever so? personally i am looking forward to this spin in ugh 8 hours time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Me too, I stupidly had a cup of coffee and now am unable to sleep. I feel like going for a cycle now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Nice 86.28km spin. Howth and Djouce are really nothing compared to that second climb. nice cleat induced fall going up for good measure. Think i need more practice climbing before i tackle any of those climbs in wicklow again. Special mention goes to the guy who violently pushed me over at the traffic lights.heh

30mins too late for the new batman flick which is just as good since i more than likely would have fell asleep due to exhaustion.

Ds-86.28km
    As - 24.5km
    RT - 3:40
    Ms- 66.7km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Hope u all enjoyed ur spin was a great day for it. Sorry I didn't show up.was in a alcohol induced coma.wouldn't of been capable of seeing my bike let alone cycling it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

wow that was a good spin. just in the door. left it at 8.30 this morning!

Dis 130.35km
    Av 23.7
    Mx 66.1
    Tm 05:28:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Great day,really enjoyed it.117.6km with some tricky climbs but all worth the effort.Had a good cleat-ind
    uced fall myself,had forgotten the ground can be so unforgiving!But alls well that ends well!P,s just remembered my computer was not working at the start so I can add on 5km for good luck

Great spin lads and ladies and great turnout today. Well done to all the first timers, Unionman in particular did his first cycle on a geared bike and we took him up to Sally Gap :D Well done to Caroline too- I think that is the most climbing you have ever done in one go? 1758m ascent total.

Sly move by El Tonto there but it did mean some of us discovered the mother of all climbs. I see the road he meant clear enough on the map all right. Reckon we should make him do repeats on that hill as punishment.

Route and Elevation:

th_20080726Route.png th_20080726Elevation.png

@BUACHAILL- I was in a bit of an alcohol-induced coma myself this morning; the cycling is honestly the best thing for it! By the time you get back you are completely fixed and ready to go back to the drinking :D

blorg wrote: »
    Well done to Caroline too- I think that is the most climbing you have ever done in one go? 1758m ascent total.

EEErrr ... Yeah and it was tough :pac: but glad I did it ...

Great spin again, 141km for me. Next week, I will remove the zipps, as use my Roval Fusee wheels, they're lighter...

As always, top company :D Great spin, nice tea.

We passed a lonely boards jersey, going down hill as we were going up ... who was that ??

EEErrr ... Yeah and it was tough :pac: but glad I did it ...

Great spin again, 141km for me. Next week, I will remove the zipps, as use my Roval Fusee wheels, they're lighter...

As always, top company :D Great spin, nice tea.

We passed a lonely boards jersey, going down hill as we were going up ... who was that ??
    You don't mean going up hill as we were going down? We saw one just coming into Laragh on the road from Sally Gap. Identify yourself sir!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

95km for me and back in time for the business end of the Tour time trial. Really enjoyed the spin and it was nice to put names and faces to more boards users.

Sorry about the split guys, although we did do a fair bit of climbing ourselves:D

Wicklow County Council seems to have gone mad with the loose chippings over the past week. Hopefully they bed in before too long. They can make for some quite hairy patches.

el tonto wrote: »
    Wicklow County Council seems to have gone mad with the loose chippings over the past week. Hopefully they bed in before too long. They can make for some quite hairy patches.

I could be wrong, they might be resurfacing for the tour of ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Great spin lads and ladies and great turnout today. Well done to all the first timers, Unionman in particular did his first cycle on a geared bike and we took him up to Sally Gap :D

What a day! I had no idea I was going to put in that kind of distance today. I had no idea climbs could be such a head wrecker. I had no idea going downhill really really fast was so utterly terrifying and exhilerating.:eek:

I anticipated meeting a nice crew today but y'all surpassed my expectations. The welcome and the encouragement really made a huge difference. Thoroughly enjoyed the company, the advice, the invitation to draft when my legs got tired (thanks Tiny). Very impressive bunch of cyclists, I have a lot to learn.

So, my stats (modest drumroll...)

83.6km total
    3 h 47 m 22 s
    Avg speed 21.6kmh
    Max speed 57.8kmh (with thanks to el tonto for saying 'by the way, this is a fast descent' just as we got going. 57.8 was off the scale for me, despite that el tonto and tiny were mere dots on the horizon in a matter of seconds)

Great day, looking forward to the next one.

• Advertisement

good stuff unionman. that was a really good first spin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good spin today. French-guy-whose-name-i-cant-spell and myself got back in one piece, a bit more traffic than I would have liked.

I think that was my longest spin out to today, feeling a little tired now. Also, my arms got really burnt, as far as the elbow. After that they are white. I dunno wot to do, avoid tshirts for a week or two???

Thanks Blorg for all the "ahh sure its only a little hill, go on!" and to mark for taking us to that nice bit of scenery.

I'm off out on the beer see you next week!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Good spin today. French-guy-whose-name-i-cant-spell and myself got back in one piece, a bit more traffic than I would have liked.

Yeah, I don't know his name either but he was great craic. Helped me a lot when I wiped out on my first climb.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    French-guy-whose-name-i-cant-spell !
    unionman wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know his name either but he was great craic.

Guillaume is his name.

I think he has the 'Frenchitude', just like me :cool:

Guillaume is his name.

I think he has the 'Frenchitude', just like me :cool:

That gallic charm and 'frenchitude' was great company when we got separated from everyone else;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

unionman wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know his name either but he was great craic. Helped me a lot when I wiped out on my first climb.

His name is Frenchie, nice and simple :) He's a great motivator -got me up Slieve Maan on the W200!

Unionman -bloody good show today, and no problem with lettin you draft -as a chunky fella I block out a fair bit of wind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

Identify yourself sir!

That was me, making my way home very gingerly after the sidewall of one of my supposedly-super-duper Conti GP 4000s blew out on the road into Aughrim.

rogerb wrote: »
    That was me, making my way home very gingerly after the sidewall of one of my supposedly-super-duper Conti GP 4000s blew out on the road into Aughrim.
    We suspected it was you alright from the general frame but I suggested that you were not going fast enough to be Fast Roger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Had a great time, really enjoyable getting out with a big group. Also thanks to (insert name...I'm sorry!) for showing us the route up to the view of the boy scouts' lake...nice route and excellent scenery! I'll try and get the photos I took on my phone up later this afternoon.

• Advertisement

i actually drove most of our route today with the GF. she'd never been up there. twas an amazing day (still is!!) got over to wicklow gap too.

Advertisement