Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone actually pay attention to speed limits?

• 24-07-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

I was wondering on my drive home for lunch today if anyone obeys them all the time? Me mate Dave drives home everyday and each day has to drive down 3 LONG stretches of straight roads, none of which have houses on them or are near a school.

Now the speed limit on these roads in 50kph but from what I hear nobody pays attention to it and usually goes 60kph. Also the motorway is down to 60kph around the southside which is a bit mad.

What about the good people of boards? Do you pay attention to the limits in areas where some might think they are too slow?

Do you obey the speed limits religiously? 21 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    14% 3 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    85% 18 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No. No point lying about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I drive during my work so I need not to have points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Residential, city ones yes. Motorway ones, usually not, unless there's a valid reason for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Sometimes. City and residential ones I would yeah. And it really pees me off when people overtake me then or on a continuous white line. Also irritates me when someone passes me out just as I'm about to overtake the person in front of me. But that's another thread.

Speed limits, no, I don't. On straighter roads I'd go faster but not on the normal countryish roads. 60 is well fast enough for some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I just pay attention to the guards make sure Im doing the right speed when there near. Probably do 60 in a 50 zone most times and 65/70 in a 60 zone.
    So the answer to your question.....Atari Jaguar FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nah, the signs are always to blurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Be careful there was a big post a while back about going over the speed limit.
    Some people here, never go over the limit.They even stop to help grannies cross the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I do indeed go over the speed limit. Regularly.

But yes, as said..there are people here that do follow it religiously so be careful!
    They'll wish death upon you for not following the speed limit(and yes, I'm serious!)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

cuppa wrote: »
    Be careful there was a big post a while back about going over the speed limit.
    Some people here, never go over the limit.They even stop to help grannies cross the road.
    ClioV6 wrote: »
    I do indeed go over the speed limit. Regularly.

But yes, as said..there are people here that do follow it religiously so be careful!
    They'll wish death upon you for not following the speed limit(and yes, I'm serious!)

This thread will only get interesting once that lot come out to play.

A lot of speed limits are just so stupidly low, they deserve to be ignored. Stillorgan Dual Carriageway for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Generally no, I never pay any attention to the posted speed limited.

I'd travel most of the time at what the traffic will allow or what I'd feel comfortable doing on that road.

Most limits in this country are a joke anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Krsnik87 wrote: »
    Now the speed limit on these roads in 50kph but from what I hear nobody pays attention to it and usually goes 60kph.

The rebel!

I stick to the limits in residential areas. Nothing worse than seeing people speed through housing estates. Never see the Gardai checking in them either. Too busy catching people doing 110 on the dual-carriageway.

A lot of the 80kph limits are stupid. My parents live on a road that's got an 80kph limit, even though you can't safely go faster than about 50-60kph on it. The limits are meaningless a lot of the time, you should be aware of what's safe and what's not. Any motorway class dual carriageway should be 120kph, and not 100kph.

Generally, I do about 110kph on N-routes, when it can handle it, and up to 130kph on motorways.

Advertisement