Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5e - RJ45 \ RJ11 termination

Options
  • 24-07-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I was hoping someone could help me with terminating a Cat5 cable with rj45 at one end and rj11 at the other end, I know that the rj11 could be inserted into a rj45 jack but was hoping to make some custom length cables for phones.

I need to know which order to crimp the rj45 to correspond to thr rj11 end, am I correct in matching the 2nd & 3rd pins of a rj11 to 4th & 5th pins of rj45. I think it should be white\green, blue, white\blue, green but just want to confirm.

I ran two cat5 to the utilities box outside and have terminated the cat5 at a telephone patch panel in the attic, it had a BT plug socket and a numbered 1-8 punchdown block for the inputs. I wired the punchdown block as follows - 1) w/o, 2) o, 3) w/g, 4) b, 5) w/b, 6) g, 7) w/b, 8) b

Do I just need to tell the eircom engineer the cable is T568B for him to connect the outside box.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

CAT5 RJ45
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    e e | | | | E E
          v v
      x | | | | x 
      1 2 3 4 5 6    RJ11

Really mostly only connect the middle two pins (red & Green)

The RJ11 is really a 6 pole plug only ever with 2 wires used for phones. The 2 & 5 positions (the outer pair, black & yellow) is the anti-tinkle circuit for mechanical bells/Rotary phones.

Pairs on RJ45 are
    1&2 (data for ethernet)
    3&6 (anti tinkle, or ethernet other direction)
    4&5 (middle reversed, phone)
    7&8 ()
    Patch cables are straight, but pairs as per list.
    A cross over cable for ethernet is on pinouts.ru You can see it has to swap 1&2 to 3&6 and vice versa

ISDN bus uses 8pin RJ45, but differently to ethernet.

POE may use pair 3&6 on some gadgets.

See http://pinouts.ru/NetworkCables/Ethernet10BaseTStraightThru_pinout.shtml

The normal standard for computer ethernet & patch panels is TIA/EIA 568B

pinouts.ru is great for all kinds of wiring.

Advertisement