Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten biting!!!

Options
  • 24-07-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi folks, was just wondering how i could stop a ten week old kitten from biting, it doesnt hurt but i dont want to it to get worse as she gets older.She has plenty of toys and a scratch post but she still keeps grab with her claws and biting.Any help would be grateful, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I would suggest removing your hand as soon as she bites. She will eventually cop on that when she bites, the play stops. You could always try to keep a little toy nearby when you're playing with her and as soon as she bites your hand, substitute the toy for your hand. But she is only a baby and out to have fun! She will grow out of it........eventually!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

All my kittens were like that..it's just their way..she will grow out of it when she matures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Make a loud noise (as if it hurt) and stop playing for a while. Do not let it continue, because they won't just stop on their own, they'll think it's ok.

If biting consistently ends in no play, they'll stop doing it.

The other option is to get her a playmate... they can play rough together and keep you for cuddles only! Kittens are better in pairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I don't think you have anything to worry about just don't encourage it. Most young animals start to teethed from around 3 months some sooner some later, you need to think of her like a baby the gums are sore and her ears are probably at her as well, she's not big enough to chew your slipper like a pup but she's going through the same thing. Try getting some small raw hide or dentisticks for her to chew on you can even put these in the freezer to help cool the gums but make sure you rape them properly to prevent freezer burn on her gums, as soon as she is able to brake them when frozen stop freezing them as they can then become a choking hazard I only really give them when I'm their to make sure they are OK with them. If she doesn't seem intrested in them dip them in the juice from some tuna.

She should grow out of it soon enough.

Good luck with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Garth wrote: »
    Do not let it continue, because they won't just stop on their own, they'll think it's ok.

All mine grew out of it by themselves and I have dealt with eleven kittens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Garth wrote: »
    Make a loud noise (as if it hurt) and stop playing for a while. Do not let it continue, because they won't just stop on their own, they'll think it's ok.

If biting consistently ends in no play, they'll stop doing it.

The other option is to get her a playmate... they can play rough together and keep you for cuddles only! Kittens are better in pairs.

Yep, probably the best advice here. It has worked here and I've had a number cats during the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Ruu wrote: »
    Yep, probably the best advice here. It has worked here and I've had a number cats during the years.

Me too. They don't always grow out of it & it could continue into adulthood.
    Have had the odd cat here too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If kittens are together they will learn that biting hurts as they do it to each other, thats why they stop. A single kitten might not grow out of it as easily as a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

cotton wrote: »
    Me too. They don't always grow out of it & it could continue into adulthood.
    Have had the odd cat here too. ;)

Thirding the good advice above here. I'd admit to having one or two of the little monsters around occasionally. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Many thanks folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement