Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair infraction for kdouglas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

With respect, mod or not, that sort of speech directed at another user is not tolerated on Boards.

It is on feedback when you have a serial whinger like this guy. If you don't like it complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

gandalf wrote: »
    It is on feedback when you have a serial whinger like this guy. If you don't like it complain.

I think it's between you and the users and I have hardly any right to complain about it. I was only referring to the level of respect users should have for each other, especially those who have duties to discharge.

I won't make a complaint as I can understand why you said it, I just think it might have been a mistake. :o

To Tigger, an infraction is a tiny fraction of a ban, while you might not agree with it, it isn't the end of the world if it stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Does the Mod have a conflict of interests ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Does the Mod have a conflict of interests ?

the real question is; do the users have a conflict of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

welcome to playschool better known as airsoft -where if people dont get there way they cry to feedback ,

its only an infraction ,

• Advertisement

the real question is; do the users have a conflict of interest?

Do they both have a conflict of interests ? Now that should be fun alright :D

Gatling wrote: »
    welcome to playschool better known as airsoft -where if people dont get there way they cry to feedback ,

its only an infraction ,

Try the shooting forum, makes ye look like grown-ups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gatling wrote: »
    welcome to playschool better known as airsoft -where if people dont get there way they cry to feedback
    Try the shooting forum, makes ye look like grown-ups :D
    Which just goes to show, guys who feel the need to go around shouting "my gun is bigger / shoots further / packs a bigger load than yours" have real issues about their ... self-confidence! :pac:

Randy,

You may have a point there :D

Which just goes to show, guys who feel the need to go around shouting "my gun is bigger / shoots further / packs a bigger load than yours" have real issues about their ... self-confidence! :pac:

This from someone whose nick is Randylonghorn ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just checked my profile and I have 2 infractions, what the hell is an infraction?

And is there cream for it?

Boggles wrote: »
    Just checked my profile and I have 2 infractions, what the hell is an infraction?

And is there cream for it?

Apparently 10 in any one week/period leads to a one week ban ?

This from someone whose nick is Randylonghorn ;)
    Indeed! But, d'ye see now, I didn't bestow it on myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Indeed! But, d'ye see now, I didn't bestow it on myself! ;)

Your Mother? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Boggles wrote: »
    Yore ma? ;)
    Fixed :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK I'm a total outsider here - never even knew about this forum till recently.

The mods decision:
    kdouglas wrote: »
    Infracted for back seat modding, report the post if you have a problem with it.

This is how this thread will work folks, stuff that would normally pass unnoticed in other threads will get an infraction, things that would normally earn you an infraction will get you a ban here.

IMO while it's fair enough to say 'report the post', it seems to be bad form to infract a user and then afterwards in the same post, having said 'stuff that would normally pass unnoticed' go on to make a rule to justify it. A warning should have sufficed.

Also, has it not been shown recently that infractions or bans should be based on the post and not the history or favour of the poster? (BGRH vs Pighead)

SteveC wrote: »
    OK I'm a total outsider here - never even knew about this forum till recently.

The mods decision:

IMO while it's fair enough to say 'report the post', it seems to be bad form to infract a user and then afterwards in the same post, having said 'stuff that would normally pass unnoticed' go on to make a rule to justify it. A warning should have sufficed.

Its not bad form at all. IAA threads in particular have caused alot of problems on the board. All posters are expected to have read the charter and to abide by it. He has only been infracted. I have banned users in the past for these actions.
    Also, has it not been shown recently that infractions or bans should be based on the post and not the history or favour of the poster? (BGRH vs Pighead)

As I stated in the mod forum that whole situation was a disgrace. If a user is causing disruption on a regular basis then yes proactive action should be taken against them and they should be banned. I cannot understand how the user in question has not been sitebanned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Its not bad form at all. IAA threads in particular have caused alot of problems on the board. All posters are expected to have read the charter and to abide by it. He has only been infracted. I have banned users in the past for these actions.
    As I said, I am a disinterested observer and I commented on the facts of this case in isolation.

Time-line as I saw it:
    1. User was infracted
    2. It was said that normally this stuff is overlooked
    3. A rule is made to say that, in future, users will be infracted / banned.

It seems to me the infraction was applied before the rule was made and I feel that given these facts it was unfair.

If, as you say, there is a history of derailment in similar threads and the OP was active in them then maybe he should have known better - that wasn't made clear (in this thread) though.
    As I stated in the mod forum that whole situation was a disgrace. If a user is causing disruption on a regular basis then yes proactive action should be taken against them and they should be banned. I cannot understand how the user in question has not been sitebanned.
    If someone is trolling then they should be infracted each time they do so - nature will take it's course.

If you look at my stars you will see that I am but a humble oppressed boardsie paying tax to fund yore C&H and so am not privy to the mod forum to see your post. Maybe that voids my opinion, maybe it adds weight because it is unbiased. Who knows.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Actually, if you go back to post #9 in the thread, I said:
    <mod hat on>
    As pointed out above, IAA threads are generally quick to turn into flame wars on here, anyone caught de-railing the topic, pushing a personal agenda or just generally being unhelpful in this thread will be banned instantly.

</mod hat off>

Now I may not have said infractions will be given for things that would normally pass unnoticed, but I figured a ban would be a bit too heavy handed in this case, so that is why I gave Tigger an infraction instead. The warning of heavy moderation was given before any infractions were handed out.

For the benefit of the jury KDouglas will you please state if you could possibly have a conflict of interest here. Are you involved in the running of said organisation ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

For the benefit of the jury KDouglas will you please state if you could possibly have a conflict of interest here. Are you involved in the running of said organisation ?

No he isn't, he is involved in giving tech support for websites and advice regarding the technical aspects of airsoft guns.

His position is an advisory one on purely technical matters, not policy.

Edit: seriously, infraction though, its a wrist slap, and in the airsoft forum, in a bloody iaa thread, its necessary.
    I've never been on a CS forum, but I hear airsoft is a very similar place, with the IAA the issue that causes the most sh1t.

Now I may not have said infractions will be given for things that would normally pass unnoticed,

The reason I commented was that earlier in this thread, you justified your actions by saying:
    As I said on-thread, stuff that you'd ordinarily get away with is gonna be an infraction, stuff that would normally be an infraction will be a ban. (just for that thread, mind)
    Which just happened to be after the infraction.
    It's not my place to question your moderation and I'm certainly not saying that I think the OP is totally innocent in this case. I am merely giving my opinion on the case and highlighting the facts.

@ bunny shooter - WTF has that got to do with a feedback thread about an infraction. If you feel there is bias or favour then start your own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

With respect, mod or not, that sort of speech directed at another user is not tolerated on Boards.
    It is on feedback when you have a serial whinger like this guy.

Cool I didn't know that.

Gandalf, you're a cunt.

As Motosam said, I am technical adviser to the IAA, I have very little/no input into the politics of the organisation and always do my best to keep any bias out of the forum.

pwd wrote: »
    Cool I didn't know that.

Gandalf, you're a cunt.

w*nker :p

can we get the lolcats out yet?

Anyone been to see Much Ado About Nothing recently?

I hear it's a good play! :rolleyes:

w*nker :p

can we get the lolcats out yet?

fine by me :D

machine_gun_cat.gif

As Motosam said, I am technical adviser to the IAA, I have very little/no input into the politics of the organisation and always do my best to keep any bias out of the forum.

I would call that a vested interest. In this case you could not be seen to be impartial IMO.

Technical Advisor, don't we like empire building :) What qualification/s does this require ?

Motosam wrote: »
    No he isn't, he is involved in giving tech support for websites and advice regarding the technical aspects of airsoft guns.

His position is an advisory one on purely technical matters, not policy.

Edit: seriously, infraction though, its a wrist slap, and in the airsoft forum, in a bloody iaa thread, its necessary.
    I've never been on a CS forum, but I hear airsoft is a very similar place, with the IAA the issue that causes the most sh1t.

Are you his spokesperson now ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

come on -

ive been infracted and warned by kdouglas and yes he is an "ADIVISOR" for the iaa ,
    and having met kd im person i can honestly say he sits on the fence and dosent get involved in the politics side of things and has gives lots of his own personal time to mod and sort peoples repairs and upgrades in the community he is neither an employee or voted in representative for the iaa ,

why dont you's lay off him he is one of the good guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement