Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair infraction for kdouglas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Gatling wrote: »
    .......why dont you's lay off him he is one of the good guys

This is not a personal attack. It is a discussion on one of his decisions.

He is involved in the organisation so therefore his impartiality is in question IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If it wasn't an IAA thread and there wasn't a warning about heavy moderation, I would have said it's extremly harsh. As it is I think it's harsh. *shrug*
    Anyone been to see Much Ado About Nothing recently?

I hear it's a good play! :rolleyes:
    storm_in_teacup___BW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

This is not a personal attack. It is a discussion on one of his decisions.

He is involved in the organisation so therefore his impartiality is in question IMO

You can question my impartiality if you want, I gave fair warning there was going to be heavy moderation in the thread and that's exactly what happened, so far it seems to have worked, the thread in question is up to 5 pages now, 5 pages of mostly reasonable discussion and no messing, remember the last IAA related thread which was started on the forum? It didn't even get a single genuine or reasonable reply and was locked (by gandalf) before it even filled one page.

As Gatling said, I've always done my best to remain impartial to any IAA politics, I personally dont like politics and the only reason I accepted the position of tech for the committee was because it was a non-political position. I was also offered the community liaison position months before this and turned it down because I felt it would be a conflict of interest with me being a moderator here.

As to what qualifications I need, none, however I do have the technical experience and knowledge of how airsoft guns operate and am constantly engaging in research and experimentation in to various aspects of these. I also have a degree in computer science, and although the CLO is responsible for maintaining the website and other related things, I also help out in that regard on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

gandalf wrote: »
    Jesus you are some muppet. .

nice really classy

why because i speak the truth
    because i say things you don't like

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

im oblivious to what politics could possibly be involved with airsoft but frankly i care less.

Tigger my lad, its just an infraction. it amounts to squat all. you would need 10 in like what, 2 weeks? for it to mean anything. I could understand if you had gotten 3 or 4 all at once, that would be something to discuss, but this is a slap on the wrist - let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Tigger wrote: »
    nice really classy

why because i speak the truth
    because i say things you don't like

Why do people think this is a conspiracy, he didn't ban you tigger.

If you want to discuss the iaa, your thread is still open, you aren't banned, you can discuss it there still.

In fairness mate, I think you've over reacted to the infraction, I have infractions and a ban from my time in the airsoft forum, I don't really care, a ban yes, an infraction is just a warning shot really.
    Are you his spokesperson now ? :D

I just thought that seeing as you are so interested in this issue, that you may as well be half informed as to what the fuck was actually going on, we wouldn't like people to think you were uninformed now would we ;)

I have a question for you, do you think the issue here is really about the iaa, or an infraction handed out for bickering.

I'd say that kd has gone to a good bit of effort to keep that thread going, as any mod of a controversial thread on any forum must know it needs to be strict.

Infraction ffs the iaa thread is still open to discussion and no-one is banned, wtf is the problem :)

Overheal wrote: »
    im oblivious to what politics could possibly be involved with airsoft but frankly i care less.

Tigger my lad, its just an infraction. it amounts to squat all. you would need 10 in like what, 2 weeks? for it to mean anything. I could understand if you had gotten 3 or 4 all at once, that would be something to discuss, but this is a slap on the wrist - let it go.

point is dude that there are stickies advising and advertising the iaa in the airsoft forum

#i asked a reasonable question re the state of play of the iaa in the eyes of boardsies which constitute a large proportion of airsoft players

i get scolded/infracted for nothing

its unfair

now i'm getting called a muppett

the fact is that if you put skickies advising and advertising a governing body in a forum then it should be possaible to debate that bodies postition

You weren't infracted for wanting to discuss the IAA or anything like it.

I gave a warning that previous IAA related threads tend to go bad very quickly and that this thread would be heavily moderated.

Lethal_Bullet told you to give over moaning.
    You took offence to this and pulled him up on it on-thread.

I gave Lethal an infraction for saying you were moaning (which he very gracefully took)
    I gave you an infraction for back-seat modding instead of reporting the post.

well when kdoug puts his modhat on at post 9 he mentions the point is they dont want IAA threads turning into flame fests.

However, I myself know and understand some topics just cant be put down. Which is why we acknowledge concepts of race and creed on this site, for example. Obviously there are some things we cant discuss (like the You Know Which Sticky on every forum) but if you guys really need to get down and sling mud, cant it just be civilly taken into the Thunderdome? Once it gets there you can rip the hell out of eachother: I wont even look. I promise.

Again it was a slap and reading through the mood on that thread its clear kdouglas slapped you with the infraction for trying to have a direct confrontation with another poster while other posters were trying to express their views on the subject at hand. I imagine if he didnt you and the other lad would still be at it and thread would have been locked. For the meantime let kdouglas and the other mods inside do their job and keep the discussion civil as it appears you all are very interested in the subject matter: let the mods do what they can to keep it productive.

kdouglas wrote: »
    You weren't infracted for wanting to discuss the IAA or anything like it.

I gave a warning that previous IAA related threads tend to go bad very quickly and that this thread would be heavily moderated.

Lethal_Bullet told you to give over moaning.
    You took offence to this and pulled him up on it on-thread.

I gave Lethal an infraction for saying you were moaning (which he very gracefully took)
    I gave you an infraction for back-seat modding instead of reporting the post.

all i said was again with the name calling how am i moaning
    no need to be agressive if someone dosent agree with you

if i was back seat modding how was robs post not back seat modding

he took offence to the whole thread

he said

Yipee another thread about the IAA.
    Haven't had one of these in a while.

If only the IAA site had its own forums where people could discuss IAA matters

which you thanked

in my opinion you acted unfairly if you had infracted rob or even if you had pretended you hadn't seen the post that'd be kool and the patrol but you had the gall to thank his post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Tigger just told the other guy there was no need to be aggressive with him. You can call that what you like, but it isn't back seat modding.

There's no need to hand out infraction so easily. Just tell the 2 boys to be civil and move on. If they keep at it after that, then use your infractions.

Like I've said already, under normal circumstances, yes, it would be a simple comment saying give it over lads or whatever, but IAA related threads in the airsoft forum are not normal circumstances. It's an infraction ffs, not a bloody siteban.

all i said was again with the name calling how am i moaning
    no need to be agressive if someone dosent agree with you

You were sniping at another poster. The correct thing to do here is ignore them and carry on with the discussion you were already having. If they become disruptive they can be reported using the report function and a moderator can step in. I dont agree with calling it backseat modding but it was a post that still merited an infraction slap on the wrist for sniping and having the potential to derail the thread into a back and forth argument between yourself and Rob.

he said

which you thanked

That he did.
    The poster highlighted to other posters wanting to post on IAA related matters that the IAA maintained their own Forum. Given the subject matter which seems to be about the lack of IAA leadership, the discussion should probably have best been moved over to their website where they can hear everyone's feedback on their service.

It was a sarcastic way to say all of that, sure, but it does the trick.
    in my opinion you acted unfairly if you had infracted rob or even if you had pretended you hadn't seen the post that'd be kool and the patrol but you had the gall to thank his post
    If a poster was encouraging other posters to emmigrate a troublesome topic to an area out of my moderating jurisdiction Id have thanked him too.

edit: keep in mind the only reason im getting involved in this case at all is its an easy read and I can provide an honest and impartial opinion.

Again it was a slap and reading through the mood on that thread its clear kdouglas slapped you with the infraction for trying to have a direct confrontation with another poster while other posters were trying to express their views on the subject at hand. I imagine if he didnt you and the other lad would still be at it and thread would have been locked.

Exactly.

he said

To be honest, I glanced over the post, saw the "If only the IAA site..." bit and clicked thanks before skimming down through the rest of the thread, I didn't really pay much attention to his little sarcastic comment, but yea, maybe he should have gotten an infraction for it. Difference is, your comment could have led directly into confrontation with another user and would have de-railed the whole thread.

. Given the subject matter which seems to be about the lack of IAA leadership, the discussion should probably have best been moved over to their website where they can hear everyone's feedback on their service.

the iaa leadership is not the issue the question was whether posters are going to join the iaa, asking this on the iaa forum is tantamount to asking someoneif they are asleep

the iaa website forum has had no new posts (well theres some stuff about me now) recentlty in fact its had very few posts at all i wanted to gauge the airsoft community

anothe poster "whydave" was infracted for sarcasim but not rob

in my opinion this is because rob supports kdouglas and why dave didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OCD

gandalf wrote: »
    OCD

you really are a class act you just gonna keep calling me names are you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

in my opinion this is because rob supports kdouglas and why dave didn't

Excuse me? what?

Supports him how?

In his bid for world domination?
    Financially?
    Emotionally?
    Has he one leg shorter than the other?

I grant you, in light of the fact that his comment did get a rise out of another poster (ie. you,) it probably should have been caught earlier and infracted as well. Personally though I would have missed it myself, usually writing posts in a similar fashion myself: bit of bitter sattire followed up by a delivering point/punchline, which in this case was "em guys theres a better place to discuss this no?"

OCD isnt name calling by the way, strictly speaking, but Gandalf why wind him up?

• Advertisement

The Master wrote: »
    Excuse me? what?

Supports him how?

In his bid for world domination?
    Financially?
    Emotionally?
    Has he one leg shorter than the other?

rob i'm sorry i feel bad that you are being mentioned

i don't think any of us deserved infractions (cept mbey lethal) but i see a disparity here that favours posts following kds stance

I grant you, in light of the fact that his comment did get a rise out of another poster (ie. you,) it probably should have been caught earlier and infracted as well. Personally though I would have missed it myself, usually writing posts in a similar fashion myself: bit of bitter sattire followed up by a delivering point/punchline, which in this case was "em guys theres a better place to discuss this no?"

OCD isnt name calling by the way, strictly speaking, but Gandalf why wind him up?

OCD stands for obsessive compulsive disorder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

rob supports kdouglas

Could you explain this or retract it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm sorry but what the hell do you say to someone who whinges on about a minor issue like this into 6 pages.

He should thank his lucky stars that infractions exist. I have banned people in the past for breach of charter.

I've wasted enough time here and on this subject. The OP was in the wrong and kd was totally correct in his actions.

The Master wrote: »
    Could you explain this or retract it please?

kvdouglas in my opinion would prefer if iaa matters were discussed in the iaa forum

your post supported this

i was refering to the particular not the general
    again i'm not trying to drag you in i just feel you comment was on a par with mine and why daves

kvdouglas in my opinion would prefer if iaa matters were discussed in the iaa forum

your post supported this

Yes I do support this idea but I'm of the opinion that the entire airsoft community would prefer that IAA matters were discussed on the IAA forums

I honestly dont mind where things are discussed, as long as they are discussed in a rational and mature manner, unfortunately, IAA threads on here have a history of being de-railed and wild accusations and hearsay being thrown around.

OCD stands for obsessive compulsive disorder

Im aware, but its not like he called you autistic or retarded. Its on par with calling someone out for acting a Muppet. But if youre ready to get offended by "OCD" you might be getting way too wound up over nothing :confused: its a bloody infraction so what if the other guy didnt get one.

I always live under the assumption theyve been infracted by PM the same as me and leave the matter at that.

This is starting to sound like a mountain out of a mole hill. You're trying to abstract from this infraction/post-thank that somehow Rod and kDouglas are in cahoots to defend the IAA internally and frankly, I don't follow. Anyway I hope at 90 posts in youve gotten over the infraction and have moved on to grander things.

Ive given my opinion on the matter anyway. Time to lurk a while to let you lads talk shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Lethal told you to stop moaning about the IAA - Infraction
    You retorted to Lethals remark on-thread - Infraction
    whydave made a sarcastic comment questioning the validity of the IAA charter - Infraction
    Rob asked for the whole conversation to be moved somewhere more appropriate - No Infraction

Failing to see an issue in any of this.

I'd also like to point out to one-and-all that, since these allegedly ultra harsh infractions took place, the Airsoft forum is enjoying it's first reasoned and structured thread on the topic of the IAA. I'd also like to point out that the debate you initiated is continuing. Surely this is a win for all parties involved? You got your well-mannered IAA thread, kd restored order and noone has stepped out of line since. Surely a mere infraction is a small price to pay for total harmony and peace in a topic which, until now, was like wading through a mire whenever it was brought up due to all the ****-slinging.
    Surely it's best left at that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

jesus, kd said he going to be overly strict, which he is doing because it is the ONLY way to keep things civil, then you are crying about getting shat on over nothing when all thats happened you was a bare infraction.

how about this tigger, if you dont like it you know where the door is
    kd is a bang on moderator, even if im not a fan of the others

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement