Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Mounting a flat screen TV

Options
  • 24-07-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi there

I have bought a flat screen 40" LCD TV and want to mount it on the wall with the supplied wall mount kit. The TV weighs about 20Kgs
    The wall is block with 100mm of insulated plasterbord.
    Any ideas about how I would go about mounting this beast?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i had this same problem, im sure there are certain type of fixing but i cut out part of the plaster board behind the fixing frame and brought the wall out level with the plaster board using timber. this means the weight is on the block wall trough the timber and not on the plasterboard

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Thanks for the answer
    This is where I suspected I would end up having to gouge out the plasterboard and insulation and replace with timber pieces (I had to do this before with a curtain rail!)
    I'll hang on a bit and see if there are any amazing solutions out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

i'd suggest timber batons as well...
    I know it's more effort but i wouldn't want to risk a €1000 piece of equipment hanging of plasterboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd definitely suggest timber battens both for the fix and for the bearing face, even if you could get the bracket fixed you'd have a very strong compressive force from the bottom of the bracket on the plasterboard so it would crumble in time.

That's how I'll be doing mine anyway.

SSE

Thanks for all the responses
    It looks like timber battens then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Rawlbolts and threaded bar.

Drill into the block and put in some rawl bolts into it. throw away the usual bolts that come with the fixing as they are no good here. Get some threaded bar and put two bolts together, screw down into the rawlbolt in the wall and tighten it out to spread the bolt in the wall. Cut the threaded bar to length and screw into the bolts after they are secured into the wall. fit the bracket to the wall and tighten it up.

The frame of the bracket should be enough to stop it from falling through the wall. Ending up with a good solid fixing. worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is what I have done with mine.
    The wall was made up of plasterboard and batons but the batons weren't in the places I needed them in for the TV to be centered on the wall.
    I got a sheet of ply (sp?) wood, I think half inch. I cut it to size and screwed it onto the plasterboard going through the batons at the back.
    I then was able to screw the bracket onto the Ply wood and get a good strong fixing.
    i hope this makes sense :D

There is a possibility that your plasterboard is 'blobbed' onto the wall using blobs of plaster instead of batons, Do the same as above except drill holes through into the wall and use long screws and large washers to fix the Ply.

The good thing about those ways is when the time comes to remove the TV there wont be much damage to wall.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for all the reponses espeically the threaded bolt one!
    How far into the block should I thread the bolt to get a good fixing with no vertical movment once the weight comes on?

away at the moment but will start operations as soon as I get back probably first week of August
    (If the weather is any good this will get postponed)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd be looking to go in 2 inches or so (and thats probably overkill but..)
    How many fixing holes are in bracket?
    also Id second getting your own screws and forgetting about the ones that they send on. They are only ever suitable for lab condtions.

Hmmm you essentially have 10cm of air between your tv and the supporting wall. you are going to need something to sandwich the plasterboard between or it will crumble with the weight.

Id go with the threaded bar approach but with a slight difference.
    Use the bolts to secure some timber to the wall to bring it flush with the plasterboard (will need to recess the nuts) then screw the tv bracket to the timber.

Advertisement