Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing cafe with wifi

Options
  • 24-07-2008 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I like to write in a cafe sometimes - and at the moment there's a painter working in my home, and with the smell of solvents and the dust of sanding, my asthma makes it a necessity.

But I'm looking for a nice cafe with wifi.

Tried Waterstone's Readers' Cafe today, and my heart rose as the searching Mac found a padlocked network called 'Readers Cafe'. But the staff said no, they had no wifi there, though others had noticed this too.

So that's a bust.

There's a nice new little cafe in the Rathgar Bookshop, but they stared in astonishment when I asked about wifi.

Anywhere else? Preferably southside-ish. Not crazy about big hotels or very food-smelling places with loud clattering dishes (fussy, fussy). Either of the two above would have been ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I reckon get 02 / Vodafone Mobile broadband. Is only €19.99 a month at the moment and you can write wherever you like!.

Why do you need an internet connection to write though??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I generally don't need to work away from home (other than pure writing, for which, as you rightly say, I don't need broadband). But at the moment I can't work at home - the house is full of fumes and dust, fulfilling the saying "Il peut souffrir pour etre belle". When the painter's finished I'll go back home.

But for various work, wifi's handy - looking for the date of that Nazi crossing of the Elbe, checking the name of the commander who crucified Spartacus's mates, that kind of thing.

Adding another €20 for broadband on the mobile phone on top of the €38 or so I pay every month to Irish Broadband sounds a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

luckat wrote: »
    Adding another €20 for broadband on the mobile phone on top of the €38 or so I pay every month to Irish Broadband sounds a bit much.

So cancel Irish Broadband and go with o2 / vodafone / 3g and save yourself €18???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The market bar on fade street isn't a cafe as such but it could work for you. At least they don't play music. Or maybe biabar on stephen's street?

These are bars or cafes?

• Advertisement

Hmm, found this in a thread from last year that someone had asked to be stickied but never got stuck:

http://www.jiwire.com/search-wifi-hotspots.htm?city_id=2280475&pay_free=free

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cafe en Seine has free wi fi.

This is all good. It would be nice to make a list.

I think a lot of big hotels have it - certainly *outside* Dublin they do - you go in and get a cuppa and ask if it's ok to use the wifi. Usually not password-protected.

Advertisement