Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New interface...

Options
  • 24-07-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'm ready to replace my audio interface after the flood. What I was using was very basic, a Tascam US 122 with two inputs.

I have since installed a Firewire card on my motherboard (for use with a Handycam). I'm now thinking that I should maybe go with a firewire for lower latency (I'm assuming lower latency than USB?) and the ability to record many tracks at once - for drums, let's say.

I was looking at the old reliable Firepod by Presonus - I've heard good things about those preamps or the Alesis I/O 26 (8 Pres, expandable to 26)

Where I get lost is when it comes to Outputs. Let's say I'm tracking 'live' with the Firepod - four mics on the drums (for arguments sake), a bass D.Is and two amps micd. Not an ideal situation, but let's just go with this for the sake of example. My question is, will everyone be able to lsten to the mix in their own heapdhones? Or how does that work?

I may have a few more questions in time, feel free to suggest anything else you might think relevant.

Oh and I'm using XP Pro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Cmon you guys, suggest something! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

Focusrite 26i/o....... i use one and never had an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

TelePaul wrote: »
    Okay, I'm ready to replace my audio interface after the flood. What I was using was very basic, a Tascam US 122 with two inputs.

I have since installed a Firewire card on my motherboard (for use with a Handycam). I'm now thinking that I should maybe go with a firewire for lower latency (I'm assuming lower latency than USB?) and the ability to record many tracks at once - for drums, let's say.

I was looking at the old reliable Firepod by Presonus - I've heard good things about those preamps or the Alesis I/O 26 (8 Pres, expandable to 26)

Where I get lost is when it comes to Outputs. Let's say I'm tracking 'live' with the Firepod - four mics on the drums (for arguments sake), a bass D.Is and two amps micd. Not an ideal situation, but let's just go with this for the sake of example. My question is, will everyone be able to lsten to the mix in their own heapdhones? Or how does that work?

I may have a few more questions in time, feel free to suggest anything else you might think relevant.

Oh and I'm using XP Pro.

The age old question- How much you want to spend?

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The age old question- How much you want to spend?

I'm glad you asked, I was thinking things over today and I suppose I need to match my set-up with my ability, budget and overall interest.

The idea of recording a band really excites me. I've had to turn down alot of amateur bands - mostly just friends of mine - who wanted to have some fun recording, primarily because I didn't have the means of recording a drum kit. So I like the idea of an interface with 8 inputs, but I'm kinda in two minds about it given that my room is untreated and I've nothing by way of a heapdhone amp or even enough mic stands/cables/headphones, etc.

Let's look at what I do have:2 SDCs, 2 LDCs, couple of sennheiser dynamics; an antiquated but functioning speaker/monitoring system; decent enough PC (dual core, 2GB ram), Cubase SE3. I could, I suppose, put about a grand into my recording set-up...not alot, I know, but like I say, I have the PC and some basic mics.

As I said, the functionality of the firepod and it's equivalents appeals to me because I could never see myself needing more than 8 inputs...basically, I'm looking for a bit of a steer to get me out of the entry-level doldrums, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Would you not consider a PCI card with a breakoutbox? Would work out far far cheaper.

Guy I know was after one of these for ages but eventually ended up getting a Fireface. Seems very happy with it, especially the drivers/latency.

Well, are you just looking to give everyone a monitor channel? If so just put a mixer in front of it and jack your headphones off that, otherwise it'll all get very expensive (and laggy).
    Oh and I'm using XP Pro.

Good man yourself. I'm going to bypass Vista and just wait for Windows 7 to come out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

danjokill wrote: »
    Focusrite 26i/o....... i use one and never had an issue with it

I have one of these too. The preamps are lovely, but the software is fiddly. Also, the fact that you need to launch the software to activate phantom power is annoying.

All in all a good buy though. However, if I was doing it again, I'd most likely go for something like an RMEHDSP9652 and an octamic or some such thing. More expensive, but rock solid. And UBER-low latency -about 1-2ms

jimi_t wrote: »

Well, are you just looking to give everyone a monitor channel? If so just put a mixer in front of it and jack your headphones off that, otherwise it'll all get very expensive (and laggy).

What about a headphone amp? They don't seem too pricey, I was actually recommended an inexpensive Behringer model by a guy who knows his stuff. I'm not looking to give everyone a personalised mix - is that what you mean? Sorry, I'm pretty tired right now. Long week.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Would you not consider a PCI card with a breakoutbox? Would work out far far cheaper.

Uhmm I'm not exactly familiar with that method, PCI cards install to the motherboard right? And a breakout box would presumably contain pre amps? How's that for bandwidth, more efficient than Firewire?

Uhmm I'm not exactly familiar with that method, PCI cards install to the motherboard right? And a breakout box would presumably contain pre amps? How's that for bandwidth, more efficient than Firewire?

Yes, to the motherboard.

Essentially that gives you digital inputs and outputs (like the RME card I mentioned above) Preamps are seperate and you'll need ad/da converters if these aren't built in to either the card or the preamps.

MUCH more efficient than firewire. Much lower latency.

What about a headphone amp? They don't seem too pricey, I was actually recommended an inexpensive Behringer model by a guy who knows his stuff. I'm not looking to give everyone a personalised mix - is that what you mean? Sorry, I'm pretty tired right now. Long week.

Oh right, well if you just want to let everyone hear the master outs then a headphone amp - even that behringer jobby - strapped across your monitor/master out would be fine. Be aware of latency if you're feeding them a wet signal from your DAW though; if you're just recording though it should be grand.

• Advertisement

Also, bear in mind when you're counting channels that you'll often want a pre-fx and post-fx feed from your guitarists depending on what you're up to.

As an aside, I still maintain that if you're recording with anything bar high end amps or semi-acoustics that you're as well off running the 1/4" jack straight in as long as you're not getting the old 60Hz hum, touching it up with VSTs if necessary. If you don't have a proper acoustically treated room or booth then you're going to have all sorts of problems with the amps bleeding into the other mics, hell I can't even record with decks running in some situations as the needle will pick it up.

(bear in mind this is 2c and neither the 'appropriate' or 'industry' way to do it. In much the same was as someone will tell you that you need a Digirack when a Tascam suits you fine :D [use a 428 meself and I love it])

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I'll be getting an m-audio profire 2626 next week, I'll be using it with XP too. It seems like the best value firewire interface with more than 2 mic pres on the market at the moment. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

i have the firepod. really good value for the price, the pre-amps are decent for the money, the headphone output is a bit noisy when turned up past 12 o clock. but yeh the 8 ins 8 outs is dead handy. for 400 quid you can't go wrong, next up the chain would be the rme fireface, a really great interface and hopefully my next purchase. you can daisy chain firepods to each other too which is handy if you need more inputs.
    its been renamed the FP10 now by the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

just my 2 cents.
    rme all the way,fantastic cards.
    as for pcmi.as far as i know its an oldish technology.go with firewire

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

bedbugs wrote: »
    I have one of these too. The preamps are lovely, but the software is fiddly. Also, the fact that you need to launch the software to activate phantom power is annoying.

All in all a good buy though. However, if I was doing it again, I'd most likely go for something like an RMEHDSP9652 and an octamic or some such thing. More expensive, but rock solid. And UBER-low latency -about 1-2ms

Can understand how phantom maybe an issue but I use this from the desk.
    Agree the preamps are good. Are you using a ADAT converter with it .... if so which one?

Nope, just using the interface on its own.

Stupid decisions. Hmmm. I'm gonna wait till I finish work and see where that leaves me funds-wise. Cheers guys, I'll report back soon.

Advertisement