Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent in dublin

• 24-07-2008 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone-

I hope this is an ok place to post this query re dublin living and expenses!

I'm moving up to the big smoke shortly to start a new job- roughly 30k salary. I am wondering really what is the right amount to spend on rent. Looking at basically anywhere with easy access to city centre and not some awful dingey dungeon. I also need a parking space which is limiting my options on daft considerably.

I've had a good look on daft and have a fair idea about what my money will get me- and am planning on spending around 600 a month.

If I was to stretch to 700 do you think I'd be spreading myself a bit thin? what is kind of a "normal" rent for someone on that kind of money in Dublin basically?

I hope this is not considered the most stupid query ever! I don't have any very expensive habits or anything apart from the odd shopping splurge.

Please advise dubliners!

P.S. Also any tips on other good places to look for accommodation? daft has really been my main port of call so far.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

700 is a fair amount of rent to pay. It all pretty much depends on what you want. Assuming you are getting roughly 2000 or so a month after tax?, you'd have 1300 a month to live on. This is plenty to live and live comfortably, even with some loans.

I pay 550 at the moment on rent which is very good for where I'm living, I'd see 550 up to 700 as reasonable for good quality shared accommodation. Single room apartments would shoot up from that.

Just from personal experience, I wouldn't want to live alone, but then again, living with strangers doesn't appeal to me either. However, rent and bills will be cheaper if you are sharing accommodation. You can get lucky and you can get unlucky with people. You always have the option to move out though if there is a problem, the flexibility of renting.

You could find a slightly run down area to live in, close to work. Most of these places have a reputation which is not really deserved and rent can be a bit lower. You can find some great places to live.

Where are you looking to live ? Where is work ?

Daft is quite good, best of the bunch I think. Good luck with it, looking for a place to live can be torturous, but you can get really lucky too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sounds like a studio apt/flats in within your price range. Right now, you won't find much for about 700.
    Up it to 800 and there seems to be a good stream of 1bed studio's/bedsits available. Filter out the crappy ones and you should find somewhere.

It's either that or share, thats what most people do who are singletons and you can end up paying approx 400, give or take for a month for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sherrytrifle

hey thanks for the advice so far!

Will actually be looking for a one bed but will be with my boyfriend who will of course also be paying his way! so we're looking at spending about 1200 a month on a place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ah then, you have literally hundreds(no kidding) of places to choose from at 1200 a month.

Any specific area to the city centre, northside, southside or in the city centre itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

it's a renters market up in Dublin at the moment.
    You'll be able to get a very nice 1 bed for 1200pm.
    You might consider getting a 2bed - this would cost around 1300-1400 for a really good 2 bed in some places.
    The extra space can be so handy, and it's also great if you want to have family or friends around and let them stay over.
    2 be will also have a large 'living' space - kitchen and living room, and it's great so you won't be living out of each other!

be sure to scan daft and the propertypin - there's a lot of places up for a few months, and you'll have no problem haggling / negociating the price down.

Happy renting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sherrytrifle

hmmm

am thinking that stretching to 1300 would be worth it for a spare room! I have a lot of junk!

hopefully looking to get a place in ringsend or ballsbridge.

I was initially looking at more central places but got such conflicting views about them
    -Smithfield, Kilmainham etc but not too sure.

Will have to see what turns up!

Thanks for mentioning property pin- will definitely give it a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I was initially looking at more central places but got such conflicting views about them

(Just moved up to dublin after living in galway all my life about 3 months ago)
    Living in stoneybatter area and loving it...

Have had so many conflicting reports on different places that I don't think you'll really know until you've lived in them for a bit (though yes some places are probably definitely dodegy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

hopefully looking to get a place in ringsend or ballsbridge.

Where about are you both working?
    Do you know Dublin well?

Prices are higher in the city centre and short distances away, but you could rent a bit further out and be on a luas or good bus corridor - this would ensure you get a nice big place and the area could be nicer to live in.
    Better chances of getting car parking too...

Advertisement