Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last ever rifle scope !!!!!!!!

Options
  • 24-07-2008 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Lads I know this has been covered the odd time before :D:D, but I just put in my application today for a .223. So I am looking for any suggestions for a rifle scope that will hopefully do me for the next 20 or so years. I will be mainly doing hunting with it but I do like having the bigger magnification on it so I can see if there is many fleas on my prey :D:D. Will be used mainly for foxes but I do hope to get in to deer stalking a few years down the line. Now the main thing the budget in around the 1200 euro mark I hope. So any ideas lads..
    Thanks in advance Riflehunter 77

Your rifle is only as good as the glass it wears !!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite6500_65-4305m.cfm

How about one of these, i have an elite 4200
    its a very clear scope could'nt fault it.
    These new are supposed to be excellent and a lot cheaper
    than some of the recommendations you're going to get.
    Have a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20*50, can be gotten relatively cheap from the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

I agree with jonty but no matter what scope you get you will probably change it some time down the line. see schmidt and bender thread in the hunting section

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, you can pick up the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 for about a grand in dollars, and that looks like a stonking scope for the money. I'd buy it myself if I could afford it.

I've seen zeiss conquest 6.5-20X50 in a dealer's shop here for €1100!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Jonty do you mind If I ask were you seen that zeiss you can pm me if you want. Has any one had the pleasure of using a Kahles they seem to be one of the favourites with the guys across the pond who review most rifles in the British shooting magzines.. I believe some of the lads on the fourms are also using Nightforce any input from ye guys would be great. I really want to take my time on this lads and do my homework on it, as I said I would like this scope to do me for a good few years..I got stung before with poor optics and I dont want that to happen again :mad:. Thanks again lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have a nightforce 12-42x56, it is too complicated as a hunting scope for lamping foxes, all the functions are simply not needed. As a target scope on the other hand it is great.

If I was getting an all rounder for hunting and a bit of targets this is my list of needs, not in any particualr order:
    glass: obviously there's no point in having loads of fancy features if the sight picture is crap
    good range of mag: 6-20 would be good middle ground
    Side adjustable parallax: Front adjustable is too annoying when prone I find
    Big Objective: 50 or 56
    Build quality: must have a good rep for being bomb proof
    MOA: enough moa to suit your needs
    illuminated reticle: some people don't like them some do. personally I like them

To be honest I think you should go to a dealers and look through as many scopes as you can (taking your time with each, dialing up and down mag etc) with all the features you need and then get an idea for yourself, its great fun and a good way to make up your own mind on quality.

as an example of this, my brother has a zeiss scope and I was suprised to see that it has plastic turret caps. I thought that was cheap and tacky considering the price of these scopes. Glass is amazing and as its fixed mag (7x50) its refreshing to use as its so simple.

go and handle your potential purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

last year I got a Leupold 4.5-14 x50 for my .243. I got if off the web using this link from a few years back in this forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055120174

I got mine for around €600 with a specific reticle I requested from D N R sports. Found them good to deal with and had no hassle at all. Showed it to a local gun shot and they told me it would retale here for about twice what I paid.

I am happy with the scope, but I should have gone for higher magnification I feel after using it for some time. Otherwise very clear and very happy to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Not sure of the correct terms here but..............
    The bigger the objective lens the bigger the view that you see at a set zoom mag.
    Example to use I have read is divide the objective lens size by the zoom mag to get the size of what you can see/view at your eye.

16x40 = 2.5mm which is small
    16x50=3.1mm still small
    16x56=3.5mm better
    16x60=3.75mm I find OK and can use this all the time day and night.
    You can see this if you stand back from the scope and view the eye end lens at an angle with the scope pointing at a light source ie. a window. Adjust the zoom and see the light source on the eye lens as a small round soft spot.

I have a Nikko Nighteater 8-32x60 AG IR on top of my CZ 22lr @€;260 and think it is one of the better/best cheaper scopes. This scope will be used on a 223 when I get one.
    It got scope of the year 2007 from some of the shooting magizines.
    Just my option:D

Jonty do you mind If I ask were you seen that zeiss you can pm me if you want. Has any one had the pleasure of using a Kahles they seem to be one of the favourites with the guys across the pond who review most rifles in the British shooting magzines.. I believe some of the lads on the fourms are also using Nightforce any input from ye guys would be great. I really want to take my time on this lads and do my homework on it, as I said I would like this scope to do me for a good few years..I got stung before with poor optics and I dont want that to happen again :mad:. Thanks again lads

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Well lads and ladies I think iv narrowed my search down two scopes, could change my mind yet doe :confused:.

Number one is a Kahles Helia scope 3.5-10x50 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_95270_400001001_400000000_400001000_400-1-1

Number two Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_35559_400001001_400000000_400001000_400-1-1

Another question does anyone know if Big bass pro shop delievers optics outside of the U.S. Iv ordered alot of gear off them in the past but never optics please say they do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heads up, RH. There's a Kahles Helia on guntrader.co.uk at the moment. It's about £650, so more expensive than the one from the states, but at least it's available. If you search under "OTHER FOR SALE", the under "SIGHTS AND OPTICS", then under "SCOPES" you'll find it. It's just marked "new" and has a price of 658 next to it. There are a few other high-end scopes as well, so have a look around.

Advertisement